Yoke Steering Wheel in S, X Cybertruck. NHTSA says, ‘What you talking ‘bout, Elon?!”

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I think this is Tesla's plan for FSD adoption. Taking the steering away a little at a time.
Full wheel => Yoke => Joystick => Phone app

The one caveat I would have is off-road driving... Maybe FSD will be good enough for something like rock crawling someday but it would take the sense of accomplishment out of the activity and turn it into a amusement park ride.
Sponsored

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Off roading on the sand dunes requires steering wheel. Otherwise it will be a very slow ride, but can't be slow otherwise you will get stuck in the sand.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

The one caveat I would have is off-road driving... Maybe FSD will be good enough for something like rock crawling someday but it would take the sense of accomplishment out of the activity and turn it into a amusement park ride.
It could be like this:

Full wheel => Yoke => Joystick => Phone app => Neuralink => FSD

I would be curious if the system will be fast enough to disconnect Neuralink and kick into FSD in special situations when you are driving by a nude beach or rehashing a conversation you just had with your boss in a bad meeting.

I agree on off-road. Even for on-road, I know how psyched everyone is about FSD but I can't see using it much. A smart cruise for occasional super long travel is sufficient for me. The only time I can see paying $10K for it is when I am too old to drive and they are going to take my license away.

The Yoke, I definitely like (I have never tried it on a car before though).

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
It could be like this:

Full wheel => Yoke => Joystick => Phone app => Neuralink => FSD

<Snippy>
Dylan‘s “The Times they Are a-Changin’ ” has never more apropos.

You’ve just tripped into the next level automotive which Apple Contacts targets and Neuralink portends. Augmented AR is coming to seriously muck with Automotive Industry mindsets.

Neuralink perfectly addresses Safety asleep-at-the-wheel, distracted operation (DUI)and medical emergency which Tiger has already signed-on, surely.

Apple Contacts disrupt HUD and DM messaging revolutionizing in-car notification, warning and extra-vehicular AI computational assist by disrupting wetware directly. Whether driving or riding Apple Contacts can’t be ignored. They could put serious distance between traditional automakers and the computer-bound set.

DOJO is Tesla’s off-platform solution to lift all Tesla’s out of the automotive age into computational age. NeuralLink is the “other” shoe drop that sets it, Tesla and SpaceX apart from all comer’s save an Apple.

Oh, yeah. Apple Contacts has that “nude beach” scenario covered by pupil-reading. NeuraLink the bad meeting dissonance. Elon might have the sense of humor to Easter Egg NeuraLink with AutoPilot vision awareness for “nude” and drop easter eggs for you. LOL

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I seriously doubt joysticks will ever be a think for cars. The input is too sloppy compared to the maneuvers you'll want to do. Plotting a course on a touch screen would be far better integration to the AI.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I seriously doubt joysticks will ever be a think for cars. The input is too sloppy compared to the maneuvers you'll want to do. Plotting a course on a touch screen would be far better integration to the AI.

-Crissa
SAAB took a stab at it. It didn't take off.

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
I'm pretty sure they'd say that about any car, too. They wouldn't want to state any of them as being compliant when they'd had yet to be built, let alone submitted.

-Crissa
When I hear things like this coming from the outside I come to the understand that they mayhave stocks in oil and ICE autos. Reason I say this is from a work related incident where I was talking to someone about the cyber. It truck. When they found out I was talking about electric, you would have thought I had just shot his dog in front of him. He kept ranting and raving about how stupid I was to the point I had to ask him to politely leave my office. I learned then not everyone likes electric vehicles.They have their own reason and I have mine as I look forward to what the Cybertruck offers.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I hear things like this coming from the outside I come to the understand that they mayhave stocks in oil and ICE autos
Well, those comments are usually motivated, so we encounter them alot more. Even though they have little in the way of weight.

-Crissa

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Gotta be crossed wires at NHTSA.
Or Tesla's like 'we're going to put it in and your going to like it.....' to NHTSA :LOL:
That said, Elon does get frustrated with regulatory slowness.
This goes back over some 75 years so I'm only 90% sure I remember accurately.

Citroens could not be imported to N. America because the yellow color of the turn-signal lights violated some stipulation that they had to be white. Then it was realized that the yellow helped differentiate turn-signals from parking, after which yellow turns were either allowed or required.

I haven't seen completely yoke-style steering wheels, but many are already flat on the bottom. I'd predict Elon will win on this one.

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag

Yea, While it would be an accomplishment for sure, it would kind of be counter intuitive. Most cases you don't go off roading because you have to. You do it because you want to. You want the challenge and feel of driving over sand dunes (feels so much like hitting powder on a snowboard) or rock crawling to get somewhere few have gone. It would kinda be like bringing a scissor lift to rock climb, easy way to get to the top.... but you took the rock climbing out of rock climbing.
(Just laughed to myself picturing a guy in slippers and a bathrobe "Free Soloing" El' Cap with a giant scissor lift).

However the biggest draw of FSD for me is finding parking at the beach. Have it drop me off and go be a taxi or go park at home, then come back and pick me up. Probably still years away from that but I'm not at the front of the line for my Cybertruck anyway.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Smaller, so less room-competition with the driver.

Enter a parked vehicle and see at a glance where it's aimed.

Most steering motions up/down, easier on the shoulders than left/right.

Easier to make sudden extreme direction changes.

Symbolizes aircraft yoke, if that helps.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Smaller, so less room-competition with the driver.

Enter a parked vehicle and see at a glance where it's aimed.

Most steering motions up/down, easier on the shoulders than left/right.

Easier to make sudden extreme direction changes.

I keep seeing people talk about yoke steering as a comparison to an airplane yoke. I get that there is a similarity in shape. But in an airplane, the yoke is MUCH more complicated and intuitive. Airplanes have yokes that move in multiple directions. Not just turning left/right but also push/pull. This is needed in airplanes because they are moving in 3D space. Automobiles (with the exception of movie cars making crazy jumps or outright flying) are only traveling in 2D space. Well, I guess in a mud bog the vehicle can sink in making it 3D but there generally are no controls for sinking versus rising. Speaking of movie cars I was just thinking of the Bond submarine Lotus. Went to look and it is using a round steering wheel. Not sure how that car was supposed to control itself.

Seems like people are trying to push yoke steering because they want it. But the main argument used isn't actually applicable. Not to say that yoke doesn't work for cars. I'm sure it can be made to work, possibly well. But trying to compare it with an airplane just doesn't work for me.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yoke removes the part of the steering wheel we should no longer be using.
Keeps our hands at ten and two, or three and nine, away from the airbag. Where we can most control the vehicle from.
It clears room for our vision forward.
And it gives us tactile feedback of the wheels' position.

-Crissa

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I am a pilot by trade and don't see the Tesla "yoke" steering wheel symbolizing an aircraft yoke at all. I see it as symbolizing a Formula 1-style steering yoke and race cars don't install equipment to look cool, they install it for maximum performance, which resonates well with me.

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
I hope the transportation safety board does its job and requires Tesla to install side mirrors, round steering wheels, door handles and wipers.
Sponsored