JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
CT will probably have ToF cameras, which is essentially Lidar with a pulsed IR light that is synchronised with the camera shutter so you can calculate range per pixel from it. Virtually no processing overhead, and math can be done on camera.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I trust Munro for the stuff he’s good at, but he seems to have opinions about a lot of things I don’t think he’s really qualified on.

I trust The Limiting Factor… when I have 7 hours to suck in more details about a thing than I will ever want to know.

Connecting the Dots tends to release fun videos filled with a lot of hype and conjecture. He seems to have an odd combination of well researched videos without a ton of actual fact checking. He mixes a lot of really interesting relevant stuff with much-hyped but unlikely things like “Diamond Turns”. Hard to take his stuff too seriously.
The two ConnectingTheDots videos I liked were the ones where he ran through the rigidity analysis of the Cybertruck design and the one where he talked about the possibility of steer by wire and brake by wire. Those seemed like solid arguments. I agree about diamond turns and other specialty turns made possible by a combination of 4WS and torque vectoring but at the end of the day the Cybertruck needs 4WS to get around and these novelty turn capabilities just come with the package (maybe not initially but the capability will be there). He has done a lotof videos that I don't care for at all, just those two.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Couple more. Electrified, CleanerWatt, and Tesla Daily. All reliable, and relatively free of hype.
Sorry, I do watch Electrified but he has a lot of baggage that has nothing to do with Tesla that I find offensive, and he is one of those that repost "news" without thinking, so as long as he is talking financials I believe him and otherwise I don't. Cleanerwatt used to focus on data but in the last couple of months he has shifted to the 'sponsor' model and is putting out crap so he is off my list. The NowYouKnow guys (Zach and Jessie) have lost my vote because they repost things and go out of their way to make it sound like this (whatever) is their research when originally posted elsewhere. Their conclusions, more often than not, are incorrect and I have tired of trying to correct them. I do follow BestInTesla, because occasionally he does some really good in-depth analyses and the guy is a perpetual Tesla fanboy; when I am down his optimism picks me up.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
And what is the resolution of the $250 unit? And how much processing power do you need to recognize motion and objects using that data?

Versus just using their vision-based voxels?

Your phone cost how much? And has a range and field of view of how far?

They are, using raw camera sensor data instead of clipped color corrected data for their voxel solid object detection.

-Crissa
I told you I wasn't arguing for the technology but for the cost. The specs are out there and the range varies with the field of view as you well know.

Frank Mendez

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3, mkzh, f150
Occupation
sales
Country flag
And what is the resolution of the $250 unit? And how much processing power do you need to recognize motion and objects using that data?

Versus just using their vision-based voxels?

Your phone cost how much? And has a range and field of view of how far?

They are, using raw camera sensor data instead of clipped color corrected data for their voxel solid object detection.

-Crissa
I believe the vision cannot be the only solution. I live in Utah and whenever it snows, cameras go offline. Something more is needed. Sometimes I think the engineers at Tesla get locked into a "California" environment is transferable around the world. Hopefully the latest patents on radar/lidar or whatever the technology is can solve snow. Without something more, robotaxi's are not able to continuously pick up riders.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I believe the vision cannot be the only solution. I live in Utah and whenever it snows, cameras go offline. Something more is needed.
If the cameras don't work, no one else can see anything, so you shouldn't be driving.

If we can't verify it with our eyes, then what business do we have saying the sensor data is alright? We're the ones training it right now.

-Crissa

Frank Mendez

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3, mkzh, f150
Occupation
sales
Country flag
If the cameras don't work, no one else can see anything, so you shouldn't be driving.

If we can't verify it with our eyes, then what business do we have saying the sensor data is alright? We're the ones training it right now.

-Crissa
Have you never driven in snow? A ridiculous reply.

Frank Mendez

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3, mkzh, f150
Occupation
sales
Country flag
You drive in zero visibility? LOL. Good luck with that.
What I said was snow accumulates on cameras thereby not allowing self driving. If anybody has driven in a snow storm, it is obvious. And no I and all the others on the road do not pull over and wait for it to stop snowing.
My comment was that something else needs to back up full vision during a snow storm, otherwise robotaxi is not viable.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What I said was snow accumulates on cameras thereby not allowing self driving. If anybody has driven in a snow storm, it is obvious. And no I and all the others on the road do not pull over and wait for it to stop snowing.
My comment was that something else needs to back up full vision during a snow storm, otherwise robotaxi is not viable.
Have you had this issue, or is the conjecture? Aside from occasional dirt accumulation on the side cameras it’s not an issue for me. Of course it’s not a snow heavy place here. Front facing cameras are wiped automatically.

Frank Mendez

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3, mkzh, f150
Occupation
sales
Country flag
Have you had this issue, or is the conjecture? Aside from occasional dirt accumulation on the side cameras it’s not an issue for me. Of course it’s not a snow heavy place here. Front facing cameras are wiped automatically.
It has occurred to me several times during a heavy snow storm. Even if the lane lines are visible, cameras drop out as they become covered with snow. The FSD then disengages due to low visibility. If I were in a Robotaxi, I would not be very happy if the car just stopped. Need something to combat this accumulation of snow or something else not affected by the snow build. Windshield wipers on my M3 keep me able to continue driving.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is why people die in snowstorms.

Don't be stupid, please.

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

-Crissa
So airplanes should stop flying using radar because humans don't have x-ray vision?

Tesla is bringing back HD radar, so everyone can take a hike with the "no radar" is better argument, which is based on fiction. EM is master manipulator, and changes his mind as soon as he gets enough info, just as easily. That's the nature of a good engineer, you adapt to the current real time situation.

Fact was the "old" radar wasn't helping anymore, because they had already made vision surpass it it nearly all situations. Not so for the new radar.

As for driving in snow, if you have to, just go slow, like everyone else should with half a brain. At 10kmh most impacts will be absorbed by your plastic bumper alone. At least that way you don't freeze to death on the side of the road either.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You are such a snarky know it all on this site.
"This is why people die in snowstorms.

Don't be stupid, please.

-Crissa"

Frank, the comment "Don't be stupid, please." I read it as a personal plea so you don't get hurt.

I think you read it as if you are being stupid.

Big interpretation gap.

Crissa is our good witch. 🎃🎃
Sponsored