Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
Bi directional power input/output on Cybertruck is not looking good as they’re doing a Q&A right now and Elon is expressing how he doesn’t see people wanting that function w/o a Powerwall as once you unplug your house goes dark. Dude next to him on the panel (not sure which department he works in at Tesla) backed him up and agreed.

I remember this being discussed on here previously and seems Elon has not changed his stance on the matter.
Sponsored

CyberSleuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot Wheels 1:10 Cybertruck
Country flag
If the CT still has a rolling vault cover, it seems like it must have changed significantly. We know the roof and rear window are glass, so the cover can't be stored there and still extend above the rear window.

Past images have shown the tonneau cover along the purple line, but is it possible it now follows the green line? That would leave the window exposed like a traditional truck and explain where the cover is stored...

Tesla Cybertruck INVESTOR DAY CYBERTRUCK BETA PRESENT! [w/ Walkaround Videos] Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 16-27-34 INVESTOR DAY CYBERTRUCK BETA PRESENT! w_ Walkaround Videos

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Bi directional power input/output on Cybertruck is not looking good as they’re doing a Q&A right now and Elon is expressing how he doesn’t see people wanting that function w/o a Powerwall as once you unplug your house goes dark. Dude next to him on the panel (not sure which department he works in at Tesla) backed him up and agreed.

I remember this being discussed on here previously and seems Elon has not changed his stance on the matter.
EM also said that he thinks using the the vehicle as a supplemental system for powerwall could happen further down the line.

So definitely on the books, to the point I believe it will become just a firmware switch, on vehicles like the CT with power out capacity.

EVOverlanding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Cybertruck FS Order
Country flag
You do need two buttons for the bed cover. It can be partially opened, so if you are trying to get just the right amount of opening to fit something in, you'll want to be able to move it up or down in increments.
You don't need two buttons to partially open a cover. The Rivian does this just fine with one button, Press once to open/close, press while opening or closing to stop at a specific point.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
You don't need two buttons to partially open a cover. The Rivian does this just fine with one button, Press once to open/close, press while opening or closing to stop at a specific point.
Like a garage door opener? It would just have to cycle through.

Balthezor

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
Did we learn anything about CT besides little details like 48v battery? I didnt miss the price or anything right?

LOW2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 CJ5
Country flag
If the CT still has a rolling vault cover, it seems like it must have changed significantly. We know the roof and rear window are glass, so the cover can't be stored there and still extend above the rear window.

Past images have shown the tonneau cover along the purple line, but is it possible it now follows the green line? That would leave the window exposed like a traditional truck and explain where the cover is stored...

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 16-27-34 INVESTOR DAY CYBERTRUCK BETA PRESENT! w_ Walkaround Videos.png
Purple line is definitely the tonneau track, the green line is a gear tie down track that is on trucks like the Tacoma. The tonneau would theoretically live in a container below the rear glass, when closed it would travel first straight up then make the turn to run back to cover the bed.

LOW2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 CJ5
Country flag
From the video, looks like a convex rear roof glass. #amiwrong ?
I agree, slight curve to the roof glass, same with the slight curve the front of the frunk seems to have. That said, what is more interesting to me from the recent drone footage of the cybertruck and this video of the cybertruck is that it either has a retractable solid sunshade inside or, more likely IMO based on the color of the reflection and that oil slick looking appearance that there is actually a solar panel below that pane of glass which would explain the cutout appearance when viewed from above as well as the lack of light coming into the cabin from overhead in any of the recent pics/vids.

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
what is more interesting to me from the recent drone footage of the cybertruck and this video of the cybertruck is that it either has a retractable solid sunshade inside or, more likely IMO based on the color of the reflection and that oil slick looking appearance that there is actually a solar panel below that pane of glass which would explain the cutout appearance when viewed from above as well as the lack of light coming into the cabin from overhead in any of the recent pics/vids.

I’ve been contemplating that same thing, it looks like possible solar in some images and video ant certain angles. The only reason I don’t know if they’d invest in it is how little it would produce. Toyota tried it in the Prius and all it powered was a ventilation fan while parked if I’m not mistaken. That being said, if Tesla could actually implement it so it becomes more useful then simple ventilation while parked and not have it run up costs absurdly, I’m in. The running up costs aspect, and possible weight gain due to it, are 2 reasons it may not actually be solar.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Bottom line for me is that I love the Cybertruck exactly how it was shown today. It's a winner!!!

It appears that Tesla's internal goal was to make it affordable and easy to mass produce. You can see cost cutting on the interior and some other details if you look closely.

Tesla might surprise us with new pricing. If it undercuts the R1T and Lightning by thousands it may sway buyers who were on the fence due to the CT's unorthodox appearance.

LOW2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 CJ5
Country flag
I’ve been contemplating that same thing, it looks like possible solar in some images and video ant certain angles. The only reason I don’t know if they’d invest in it is how little it would produce. Toyota tried it in the Prius and all it powered was a ventilation fan while parked if I’m not mistaken. That being said, if Tesla could actually implement it so it becomes more useful then simple ventilation while parked and not have it run up costs absurdly, I’m in. The running up costs aspect, and possible weight gain due to it, are 2 reasons it may not actually be solar.
Perhaps a 48V solar panel to match with the rest of the 48V architecture?

A panel that size would probably be around 300W which isn't much, but if you're getting ~3-4KW, per day, that would line up with that 10-15mi/day range estimate.
Sponsored