Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I envisaged beautiful high tech height adjustable posts. It never occurred to me that it would be just bolted in from the top. Idiot !!! lol
Most trucks are designed to carry the load on the bed, not on the cab.

There are height adjustable racks, but usually not lumber racks which need more strength and less versatility.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If anyone is wondering why traditional truck racks don't mount in the cab, where the X is in this photo. It's because traditional trucks have a separate bed and cab, and they flex differently from each other. That is one of the huge differences between the Cybertruck and all other trucks. The Cybertruck is one solid body. My son is a student in Toyota technician school, and he says this could be a problem for the Cybertruck. We have lots of interesting discussions. ;)
I’m not sure I would want 1000 pounds of lumber mounted on the glass roof regardless.

There is this from launch night.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe 1677985790410

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
To safely carry a long load, you need the distance between the rack's front and rear bars to be a minimum of half the length of the object being carried.
The longest load I plan to carry is a forty foot ladder. A forty foot ladder in it's down position is approx 20'6". Meaning I need the rack to be a minimum of 10 foot 3 inches long.

In the photo that Ogre posted above you can see that the rack extends over the cab a ridiculous amount. The rack extends out over the cab as far as it extends behind it, giving you see-saw action if it's not bolted down. This is far from ideal.
Maybe the CT's forward attachment points will partially negate this effect.
Maybe the front attachment points are only good for a Model Y type roof rack,
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe Ogre_Roofrack

I can't wait for the sun to come up, so II can take some pics of my current setup on an 8 FOOT BED. When I see you guys with the short beds loading up at the homeless deathspot, I always think "What the H were you thinking when you bought that short bed?", but someday soon I'm gonna be one of you.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
To safely carry a long load, you need the distance between the rack's front and rear bars to be a minimum of half the length of the object being carried.
The longest load I plan to carry is a forty foot ladder. A forty foot ladder in it's down position is approx 20'6". Meaning I need the rack to be a minimum of 10 foot 3 inches long.

In the photo that Ogre posted above you can see that the rack extends over the cab a ridiculous amount. The rack extends out over the cab as far as it extends behind it, giving you see-saw action if it's not bolted down. This is far from ideal.
Maybe the CT's forward attachment points will partially negate this effect.
Maybe the front attachment points are only good for a Model Y type roof rack,
Ogre_Roofrack.png

I can't wait for the sun to come up, so II can take some pics of my current setup on an 8 FOOT BED. When I see you guys with the short beds loading up at the homeless deathspot, I always think "What the H were you thinking when you bought that short bed?", but someday soon I'm gonna be one of you.
Most of us rarely carry lumber longer than 12 foot so even a short lumber rack on a 6 foot bed is plenty.

Heck, most trucks don’t need a lumber rack at all. The few times I needed one, I built my own out of 2x4s.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I’m not sure I would want 1000 pounds of lumber mounted on the glass roof regardless.

1677985790410.jpeg
This image is very difficult to see what is going on. It's obviously CGI. Too blurry for me to make out a roof rack. But interestingly the sides of the CT are not (boat like) and are more vertical like current versions. Also, I don't see a ramp cover on the top of the tailgate. No door handles or charger door. I do see sail storage doors open. But all in all, it's just a blurry drawing from over 3 years ago.

Interestingly on this latest version there appears to be 8 connection points. Which would allow for the weight to be distributed over a larger area, or also like Crissa said, "This gives the option of a rack only over the vault area".

One other thing to realize is that the roof rack would not be mounted on the glass. Those anchor points have openings to slide down into.

My other point is that I can't imagine any traditional roof racks are designed to carry 1000 pounds either. That's a 1/2 ton right there.

Edit: I did a search and I guess there are some with ratings over 800lbs. I used to haul lots of copper gutters, ladders and stuff on our company trucks, and driving around with lots of weight up high is not a good thing. :eek:

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This image is very difficult to see what is going on. It's obviously CGI. Too blurry for me to make out a roof rack. But interestingly the sides of the CT are not (boat like) and are more vertical like current versions. Also, I don't see a ramp cover on the top of the tailgate. No door handles or charger door. I do see sail storage doors open. But all in all, it's just a blurry drawing from over 3 years ago.

Interestingly on this latest version there appears to be 8 connection points. Which would allow for the weight to be distributed over a larger area, or also like Crissa said, "This gives the option of a rack only over the vault area".

One other thing to realize is that the roof rack would not be mounted on the glass. Those anchor points have openings to slide down into.

My other point is that I can't imagine any traditional roof racks are designed to carry 1000 pounds either. That's a 1/2 ton right there.
Yeah, it’s the only image I know of from Tesla with a roof rack, that’s the only reason I posted it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm not putting a dozen 2 by 12's on top of this rack mounting point.

Well, that would be stupid to do when you could put it across all the mount points instead of just the small forward basket.

Do you normally balance them on a little 3x4 pad?

And why are you assuming the rails on a Cybertruck won't be stronger?

I would expect it to be able to carry a bit more than the 165lbs my Mazda 3 is rated.

-Crissa

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
That original Tesla roof rack image was shown on the screen behind Elon, at the CT unveiling event. It's a screen shot. It took a couple weeks for people to figure out there was a roof rack there at all. Looks like it may be a sail-pillar-toolbox image.
If you see a similar image that seems much sharper, it's simply an enhanced version of the same screenshot.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe tesla-cybertruck-rack

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Sorry, i didn't see you had mentioned launch night, making my last post somewhat redundant.

Also, i've got another Optic Delusion. The way the lowered tailgate has triangular corners can make it seem like it is lowered slightly below level. Or, is the tailgate a little narrower narrower at the hinge than it is at the top? The other taigate-down image had this same effect that is seems angled down, when it's not.

And if those rims are not rims, they are actually boomin woofers.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 01.07.07

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That original Tesla roof rack image was shown on the screen behind Elon, at the CT unveiling event. It's a screen shot. It took a couple weeks for people to figure out there was a roof rack there at all. Looks like it may be a sail-pillar-toolbox image.
If you see a similar image that seems much sharper, it's simply an enhanced version of the same screenshot.
tesla-cybertruck-rack.jpg
I agree with you Tesla is not communicating very well. But, from what we've seen on this latest Beta it sure looks like they have the intention to build a very capable truck. I added where it looks like the anchor points are in this image. Notice the front 2 are directly over the pillars for strength.

At this point we just have to wait and see what gets built. But, I do think the Tesla wants to build a badass truck. And that would mean it should be designed with the capability to have a big strong pipe rack.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe anchorpoints2

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
I agree with you Tesla is not communicating very well. But, from what we've seen on this latest Beta it sure looks like they have the intention to build a very capable truck. I added where it looks like the anchor points are in this image. Notice the front 2 are directly over the pillars for strength.

At this point we just have to wait and see what gets built. But, I do think the Tesla wants to build a badass truck. And that would mean it should be designed with the capability to have a big strong pipe rack.

anchorpoints2.jpg
I don't see any problem with a rack that extends from the very front of the bumper vertically, to join one that angles up from the entire area designated by the picture's flaming arrows. Since a load could extend past the front and rear extents of the rack, that could give you close to 30' of length. I have seen racks for rebar on pickup trucks that were straight horizontal that were like that. Off hand I think the load would be limited to several hundred pounds.

Regardless of how much you think you can get by with 12' load length, you will be confronted with things to be hauled that are 20'.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I don't see any problem with a rack that extends from the very front of the bumper vertically, to join one that angles up from the entire area designated by the picture's flaming arrows. Since a load could extend past the front and rear extents of the rack, that could give you close to 30' of length. I have seen racks for rebar on pickup trucks that were straight horizontal that were like that. Off hand I think the load would be limited to several hundred pounds.

Regardless of how much you think you can get by with 12' load length, you will be confronted with things to be hauled that are 20'.
OMG, this reminded me of many many years ago in the 70s I worked for Morey Boogie and one of the jobs was to drive the Morey Boogie truck. I would go pick up the foam about 2 hours up the coast in L.A. with this little Chevy Luv that we customized. Foam doesn't weigh much, so we made use of all the space we could. In this photo, the plywood sides are tilted inward (for better aero). But when it was fully loaded those sides folded out and there was about a 4' wall across the front in the cab-over section. Luckily back then the speed limit was 55mph because in that configuration fully loaded that poor little Chevy Luv had a top speed of about 50mph.

Notice on this truck the cab-over and flat bed are separate from each other.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe boogietruck

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
OMG, this reminded me of many many years ago in the 70s I worked for Morey Boogie and one of the jobs was to drive the Morey Boogie truck. I would go pick up the foam about 2 hours up the coast in L.A. with this little Chevy Luv that we customized. Foam doesn't weigh much, so we made use of all the space we could. In this photo, the plywood sides are tilted inward (for better aero). But when it was fully loaded those sides folded out and there was about a 4' wall across the front in the cab-over section. Luckily back then the speed limit was 55mph because in that configuration fully loaded that poor little Chevy Luv had a top speed of about 50mph.

Notice on this truck the cab-over and flat bed are separate from each other.

boogietruck.jpg
Mini trucks are under rated.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Or, is the tailgate a little narrower narrower at the hinge than it is at the top?
not everyone agrees, but to my eye the early prototypes had more of a “boat tail” than recent prototypes - such that, yes, the tailgate was more of a parallelogram than a rectangle

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe 7C50A776-3F60-4EB3-847C-6E9372FC8CD3
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe AC3B510E-5094-42F7-AE82-2A483BA41CB6

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe 2A287766-0825-4360-B72A-8DCCB699B122
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe AD2CB97B-0B60-45ED-B4E1-8F46E087016A

The new protos appear to still have a bit of this boattail shape in the stainless of the tailgate, but the tailgate main being a rectangle

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck roof rack for work..... to carry long lumber on top or plumbing pipe 21B59F96-1047-4100-AB00-E1D169FB43E1
Sponsored