Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2023/03/20/truck-drivers-dont-believe-tesla-cybertruck-real-truck/

Truck drivers don’t believe Tesla Cybertruck is a ‘real truck’

A new survey of American truck drivers shows that many of them are getting ready to go electric, but the majority of them don’t even believe Tesla Cybertruck is a “real truck.”

American Trucks is behind the survey and described its intention with it:

While electric vehicles have been in high demand in recent years, electric pickup trucks have taken longer to hit the market. Now that we’re starting to see more models available, which ones are people most excited about, and what do current truck drivers think of them? We surveyed hundreds of Americans, both truck owners/drivers and non-truck owners/drivers, to find out.
Historically, truck drivers have been more resistant to the electric transition, and there’s a good reason for that.

While range is becoming a nonissue for most passenger vehicle use, if you are using your truck to actually do work, like pulling a heavy trailer, it will indeed limit your range greatly.

The survey shows that 35% of truck drivers are considering going electric this decade and most of them over the next five years:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck “not a real truck” says survey among truck drivers Screenshot-2023-03-20-at-11.59.09-AM

Here are the most popular electric pickup trucks that current truck drivers are most excited about:
  1. Ford F-150 Lightning
  2. Tesla Cybertruck
  3. Chevrolet Silverado EV
  4. Toyota Tacoma EV
  5. Rivian R1T
  6. GMC Sierra EV
  7. Canoo Pickup Truck

Interestingly, the survey also included nontruck drivers. If you isolate them, the Tesla Cybertruck becomes the most anticipated electric pickup truck:
  1. Tesla Cybertruck
  2. Ford F-150 Lightning
  3. Toyota Tacoma EV

Tesla is saying that the Cybertruck is going into production this summer, but most truck drivers surveyed believe it is still at least two years away.

Truck drivers are looking for longer ranges, more charging stations, and faster charge times to help convince them to go electric.

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck “not a real truck” says survey among truck drivers 12AA5C92-4443-40CA-969B-34C01DF8D09F
Sponsored

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
3 years ago, people would scoff at the suggestion of EV's taking over. Charge time, range, price.

Now there is still some doubt, but I think a greater majority can see an EV takeover.

I think legacy truck drivers only have to have a few of their heroes go weak at the knees over the CT and the fat lady starts to clear her throat.

OP
OP
MEDICALJMP

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
56% of “real truck” drivers don’t think Cybertruck is a “real” truck.

But 44% do.

So when those 56% see a real Cybertruck in person, knowing it is not vaporware, then getting to talk to their driver and perhaps getting a ride…. The numbers will change quickly.

Last edited:

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2023/03/20/truck-drivers-dont-believe-tesla-cybertruck-real-truck/

A new survey of American truck drivers shows that many of them are getting ready to go electric, but the majority of them don’t even believe Tesla Cybertruck is a “real truck.”

American Trucks is behind the survey and described its intention with it:

Historically, truck drivers have been more resistant to the electric transition, and there’s a good reason for that.

While range is becoming a nonissue for most passenger vehicle use, if you are using your truck to actually do work, like pulling a heavy trailer, it will indeed limit your range greatly.

The survey shows that 35% of truck drivers are considering going electric this decade and most of them over the next five years:

Screenshot-2023-03-20-at-11.59.09-AM.jpg

Here are the most popular electric pickup trucks that current truck drivers are most excited about:
  1. Ford F-150 Lightning
  2. Tesla Cybertruck
  3. Chevrolet Silverado EV
  4. Toyota Tacoma EV
  5. Rivian R1T
  6. GMC Sierra EV
  7. Canoo Pickup Truck

Interestingly, the survey also included nontruck drivers. If you isolate them, the Tesla Cybertruck becomes the most anticipated electric pickup truck:
  1. Tesla Cybertruck
  2. Ford F-150 Lightning
  3. Toyota Tacoma EV

Tesla is saying that the Cybertruck is going into production this summer, but most truck drivers surveyed believe it is still at least two years away.

Truck drivers are looking for longer ranges, more charging stations, and faster charge times to help convince them to go electric.

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.

12AA5C92-4443-40CA-969B-34C01DF8D09F.jpeg
Maybe Tesla could 'market' CYBRTRK as 'Not a Pick-up Truck'
This harks back to 'Not A Flamethrower' [ That SOLD out ]

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
3 years ago, people would scoff at the suggestion of EV's taking over. Charge time, range, price.

Now there is still some doubt, but I think a greater majority can see an EV takeover.

I think legacy truck drivers only have to have a few of their heroes go weak at the knees over the CT and the fat lady starts to clear her throat.
Literally, this survey says more than half think EVs are taking over in five years.

And a massive 75% think it's inevitable eventually.

That's... Big.

-Crissa

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Literally, this survey says more than half think EVs are taking over in five years.

And a massive 75% think it's inevitable eventually.

That's... Big.

-Crissa
this seems to be a rehashed post where the definition of 'a real truck' was debated and the #1 truck was something only in CGI. an attempt to buy legacy ICE truck more time.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When I see it I will believe!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
this seems to be a rehashed post where the definition of 'a real truck' was debated and the #1 truck was something only in CGI. an attempt to buy legacy ICE truck more time.
Yeah, that part was pretty ridiculous, so I'm sifting through to the more valid questions.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Screenshot-2023-03-20-at-11.59.09-AM.jpg

How many new trucks are sold in the US each year?
Sales of full sized pickup trucks in the US are down 6% in 2021, in an overall market up 3%. With just over 2.18 million sales, this is the lowest annual volume for large pickups since 2014.
US car sales analysis 2021 Large Pickups
https://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-analysis-2021-large-pickup/

The survey's "when existing truck owners might switch to EV pickup trucks" does have two very interesting numbers:
2% in one year
25% in 2-3 years

Those numbers could mean demand for 588K (27% of 2.18M) EV pickups in 2026 from existing truck owners. That 588K does not count EV truck demand from people who do not currently own a truck but would consider a EV pickup (lot of Tesla owners who have Cybertruck reservations in this group).
Also there will likely be a loss of 588K (27% of 2.18M) ICE pickups sales in 2026.

The only EV pickups likely to be in volume production in 2026 are (annual sales):

150K Ford Lightning EV

20K or less (assuming they ever learn how to make more than 12 a day) GMC/Chevy Sierra/Silverado EV
** They still can't seem to deliver any volume of Hummers and Lyrics.

300K Tesla Cybertruck

So there could be a lot of existing truck buyers who will not be able to get EV pickup from legacy auto. Legacy auto will probably not produce more because they lose too much money on each EV truck while Tesla will make good profit on each Cybertruck.

There should be plenty of room for Cybertruck and Tesla is the only truck maker that has plans for ramping production to several 100s of thousands (or maybe 1/2 million annually) in next 2-4 years.

-----------------------------------

Ford F-150 Lightning Production Restarted Today It has been paused since mid-February as a precaution due to a potential battery issue.
We don't know what the production rate is right now (before the pause, it was probably around 2,000 units a month), but it's promised to increase significantly later this year (the target rate is 150,000 per year or 12,500 per month, by the end of 2023).
Mar 13, 2023
By: Mark Kane
https://insideevs.com/news/657024/ford-f150-lightning-production-restarted/

Ford boosts F-150 Lightning production with added third shift
the automaker had planned for an initial annual manufacturing capacity of 40,000 units when the vehicle was first unveiled, Ford doubled this to 80,000 vehicles annually by 2024 in August 2021. However, Ford continued to experience high demand for its vehicle and nearly doubled projections once again with plans to build at least 150,000 cars per year in January 2022. The implementation of the third production line at the Dearborn Truck Plant took roughly ten months to finalize, but Ford is now prepared for yet another boost in EV production.
December 13, 2022
By Joey Klender
https://www.teslarati.com/ford-f-150-lightning-150k-units-third-shift/

Full-size Truck U.S. Sales Report for 2022: GM Is Still On Top, Ram Slides Down – Here Is What Happened The total new U.S. pickup truck market shrinks!
January 5, 2023
By Andre Smirnov
https://tfltruck.com/2023/01/full-s...on-top-ram-slides-down-here-is-what-happened/

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Much of the Tesla FUD originates from desperate legacy auto. Because they think they can slow Tesla down by changing puplic perception of EV's. Legacy auto has agents right here on CybertruckOwnersClub who actively try to throw shade on Tesla and disrupt the forum to make it less appealling.

They do this because the threat from Tesla is so large. Here's why:

When Tesla reduces legacy sales by 10%, it doesn't reduce legacy profits by 10% - it's more like 30% because in N. America, pick-up trucks and large SUV's are most of legacy auto profits. And when Tesla reduces legacy sales by 30%, they are effectively bankrupt. Too much debt, running at a loss, and no hope of becoming profitable in the forseeable future. Legacy auto is fighting for their lives and it's a fight they are ill-equipped to fight. They have already lost whether they know it or not because they are incapable of changing quickly enough to turn their sinking ships around in time.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I had no idea as many as 36 or 44% of real truck drivers leaned toward /consider electric.

Goes to show, as for everyday need, the EV satisfies. Exceptions will be exceptions.

By those numbers, legacy ICE in all its forms has fallen.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Much of the Tesla FUD originates from desperate legacy auto. Because they think they can slow Tesla down by changing puplic perception of EV's. Legacy auto has agents right here on CybertruckOwnersClub who actively try to throw shade on Tesla and disrupt the forum to make it less appealling.

They do this because the threat from Tesla is so large. Here's why:

When Tesla reduces legacy sales by 10%, it doesn't reduce legacy profits by 10% - it's more like 30% because in N. America, pick-up trucks and large SUV's are most of legacy auto profits. And when Tesla reduces legacy sales by 30%, they are effectively bankrupt. Too much debt, running at a loss, and no hope of becoming profitable in the forseeable future. Legacy auto is fighting for their lives and it's a fight they are ill-equipped to fight. They have already lost whether they know it or not because they are incapable of changing quickly enough to turn their sinking ships around in time.
yup

Frank Mendez

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3, mkzh, f150
Occupation
sales
Country flag
The article references 35% moving to electric but the survey results indicate 2% within a year, 25% within 2-3 year and 30% in 3-5 years. Not sure what the author's definition of a decade could mean.
I made my reservation in June of 2020. I made it for the 500 mile range. I manage my properties and use a truck throughout the year for this work. I use my truck to go into the hills with my trailer. The range of the Ford Lightning, knowing my range with my M3 does not match the initial range would make me nervous to be in the hills.
It may look different but Cybertruck will meet my needs. And it is made by Tesla.