HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Nope. The quote you are talking about means it's hard to figure out how to make it affordable, not that they can't make it affordable.

They will figure it out soon enough for you to understand what it all means: Cybertruck is going to be a great value, especially on the most popular trim levels.

Meanwhile legacy auto continues to sell over-priced junk at premium prices.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Time stamped discussion of CT. Not sounding optimistic on the pricing.

I interpret this as: Ford, GM, Dodge, don't worry about matching my low prices, keep jackin' yours up, don't trip. Then on delivery day, BAM! Blood runs ICE cold at the Big Three. By then it'll be too late...

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
i would argue that hard to manufacture = long time to start production OR more consumer capital..

I believe in this case Musk choose long time to start production while they iron out the hard parts.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I wish this forum (and all forums) had an "agree" or "+1" or "partly agree" option instead of just versions of thumbs up. Maybe it is just my interpretation of the various thumbs up options. And why not versions of thumbs down? Sometimes I want to say that I agree without liking something per se. I guess the nature of social media is to reward someone with a like if you agree and that that is somehow more important than the agreement.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I believe a lot of ppl will ask for their money back when the prices are revealed. Hopefully they release a good leasing program for CT. Demand won't be there for long after the initial noterierity wears off if prices are in the $75k+ range.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I believe a lot of ppl will ask for their money back when the prices are revealed. Hopefully they release a good leasing program for CT. Demand won't be there for long after the initial noterierity wears off if prices are in the $75k+ range.
Or... Tesla is at least as smart as you. They recognize that a steep sticker price would significantly impact demand, and not raise the prices, or only raise them slightly.

alexbeau

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
Vehicles
Current: F250 Super Duty - Future: Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Youtuber
Country flag
Or... Tesla is at least as smart as you. They recognize that a steep sticker price would significantly impact demand, and not raise the prices, or only raise them slightly.
Agreed. It is imperative that Cybertruck is competitive with current mass-market pickup trucks. The price is dependent on the volume.

Remember them playing tug of war with an F150? Smashing the F150 door with a sledgehammer? Seems clear to me what they view as the competition for this truck, and it isn't the Rivian R1T or the EV Hummer.

I think if/when this thing drops and is only marginally more than the pricing on the day of its reveal, it will make massive waves. Forget the polarizing looks because the total cost of ownership will make an F150 look like a waste of money if the purchase price is in the same ballpark.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
My understanding is the margin for tesla on this vehicle will be very high compared to ICE and other EV trucks. They have the ability to lower the price and capture market share from the ICE market. The savings from not painting and the Giga press will make it very profitable for Tesla and still allow reasonable pricing. What they choose in the end will determine how much of the market share they take form ICE and other EVs. I will not be able to afford a truck above 65k.
Hoping for near announced price, I started with a single motor but have changed to a dual in the hopes that it will be sooner than the single but also the AWD and hoped for better efficiency of a dual motor.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
My understanding is the margin for tesla on this vehicle will be very high compared to ICE and other EV trucks. They have the ability to lower the price and capture market share from the ICE market. The savings from not painting and the Giga press will make it very profitable for Tesla and still allow reasonable pricing. What they choose in the end will determine how much of the market share they take form ICE and other EVs. I will not be able to afford a truck above 65k.
Hoping for near announced price, I started with a single motor but have changed to a dual in the hopes that it will be sooner than the single but also the AWD and hoped for better efficiency of a dual motor.
We know as much about margins as we do pricing.

It's assumption from Elon comments prior to understanding the manufacturing cost and needs. Yes, he changed his stance recently saying that prices will increase, it will be difficult to make the cost affordable, that it will be a small impact for Tesla, and that production will start slow and max production could get to 250k even 500k depending on demand...but all of that could be Elon talking shit, again.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cracks me up, many of the same people suggesting the truck will be $90 - 100k+ are the same people who instantly started complaining that the interior doesn’t meet their expectations.

Interior doesn’t look like an $120k luxury truck because it’s not a $120k truck.

Shocking.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cracks me up, many of the same people suggesting the truck will be $90 - 100k+ are the same people who instantly started complaining that the interior doesn’t meet their expectations.

Interior doesn’t look like an $120k luxury truck because it’s not a $120k truck.

Shocking.
If that's the interior of an 80k truck would that be acceptable?

There's literally a prototype with a screen behind the wheel. There's a reason people thought it would be better and the Plaid version may be.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If that's the interior of an 80k truck would that be acceptable?

There's literally a prototype with a screen behind the wheel. There's a reason people thought it would be better and the Plaid version may be.
It’s a truck.

People will buy it and put pigs in the back. It will haul TVs and refrigerators. That’s what it’s built to do. It will haul manure, rocks, sand, mountain bikes, and motorcycles. People will fill it with tools and run their business out of it. It will be awesome off-road.

It’s not a luxury vehicle. It’s a utility vehicle. Maybe you buy tools that have decorative wooden panels. Musk has never once described this truck as a luxury vehicle. He’s called it affordable many many times. He’s said it’s going to be hard to make it affordable. Not “Hard to cram a million luxury features into this and keep the price down”.

If you want something pretty, get a Rivian. If you want a truck that will get stuff done, get a Cybertruck.

There was a version of the truck with a bodged together interior but never one with functioning screen behind the wheel. People invented this fantasy of a Plaid supertruck and used it to fuel their ridiculous pricing ideas.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s a truck.

People will buy it and put pigs in the back. It will haul TVs and refrigerators. That’s what it’s built to do. It will haul manure, rocks, sand, mountain bikes, and motorcycles. People will fill it with tools and run their business out of it. It will be awesome off-road.

It’s not a luxury vehicle. It’s a utility vehicle. Maybe you buy tools that have decorative wooden panels. Musk has never once described this truck as a luxury vehicle. He’s called it affordable many many times. He’s said it’s going to be hard to make it affordable. Not “Hard to cram a million luxury features into this and keep the price down”.

If you want something pretty, get a Rivian. If you want a truck that will get stuff done, get a Cybertruck.

There was a version of the truck with a bodged together interior but never one with functioning screen behind the wheel. People invented this fantasy of a Plaid supertruck and used it to fuel their ridiculous pricing ideas.
Elon has said multiple times there will be a Plaid 4 motor technology bandwagon CT.

You've seen the quotes.

We also know the tri-motor will in the very least be more than 70k.

Also, it's crazy to call this truck a work truck. Cameras in doors, no handles, all touchscreen. It's a designer truck. It's not made to haul heavy shit a long way and be on a worksite...Go to a random truck message board and look at opinions or even here and TMC. That's not what majority think this truck is.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Elon has said multiple times there will be a Plaid 4 motor technology bandwagon CT.

You've seen the quotes.
He’s said it would have quad motors. Once 18 months ago. He’s never said it would be a luxury vehicle.

He’s said it needs to be affordable about 100 times. The whole launch was around the fact that it would be an affordable truck.

We also know the tri-motor will in the very least be more than 70k.
No, we do not.

Also, it's crazy to call this truck a work truck. Cameras in doors, no handles, all touchscreen. It's a designer truck. It's not made to haul heavy shit a long way and be on a worksite...Go to a random truck message board and look at opinions or even here and TMC. That's not what majority think this truck is.
Did you even watch the launch?

Have you watched anything about this truck? It has never been a ”designer truck”. It has always been a utility vehicle. Look at where they take this truck. How many public appearances are on construction sites? Most recently at a construction site with a tool rack and tools on it.
Sponsored