Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I like the simplicity as long as accessing controls is not any more difficult than turning a knob or flipping a switch. If i have to go through 5 buttons on a touch screen to get there then its not an advancement in tech. I hope they have some version with less white. No one is taking this to Baja or a job site with a white interior.
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
But.. How many chickens can you fit on the dash? Someone is sleeping in class! We need to know.
I plan on putting a giant hamster pen on the dash and putting little generators on 40 hamster wheels so they recharge the truck at night. and not those little hamsters with tiny legs. I am talking those teddy bear hamsters with those chunky thighs and an urge to run.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
It's very simple and clean, like Models 3 and Y (but unlike Models S and X), in sharp distinction from the crazily cluttered interiors of high-end pickups or luxury sedans. I like it, but I'll miss the stalks for turn signals, windshield wipers, etc. -- stalks are a very natural way to control functions, hard to confuse with other controls.
I agree. Its like a lot of features Apple made "so intuitive". Its only intuitive to an engineer sitting in a room microanalyzing flow charts. Not someone that actually is using the feature.

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
The massive dash has been apparent since the first real view after the reveal day. But what is still unknown and which I am really curious about every time I see that incredibly massive dashboard... how far under that dashboard does the frunk go?! I hope it goes all the way! That would equate to an absolutely massive frunk. TWSS!
We know there will be heating/air, power steering, and Battery behind the Frunk. Without a direct comparison picture, it seems the heat pump takes up more space as all models have smaller frunks than they used to, but most of that seems like it could go under that dash.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
It will be a bad ass truck. Not for everybody I guess. Now can I have your reservation number? Haha no take-backsies.

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
I've been using trucks for over 40 years for tasks that require work gloves, and I can't recall one time I didn't take the gloves off before driving the truck. This is true even when driving old beaters because you don't want to transfer the crap on the work gloves to the steering wheel, the radio/stereo, and other controls. Plus, if you have been doing real work, the driving is like a work break, you don't keep wearing your gloves, it's like leaving a condom on after sex. The gloves go on the floor of the truck, on the center console or in the back, depending upon what you are doing and how dirty/wet they are.

But keep making up reasons why we should keep buying trucks from legacy makers, they all sound so weak I can't believe people are serious. Eeeeewwww! I can't drive properly without stalks because I will be wearing work gloves! Ha-ha!
I guess you never work in cold temperatures (though admittedly EV heating helps). Or had to lump some stuff in, move a small distance, and remove.

In any case, back and forth movement, with trailers, is an even bigger reason to have a physical control for forward/reverse.

There is no benefit to not having stalks. It’s pure cost cutting.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
no, I didn’t
Of course visibility will be horrible. It has large a pillars with tiny little triangular glass that will be hard to get a good idea of whats there and a tiny rear cave window with HUGE sail pillars.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Having taken traffic engineering coarses I can tell you that driver reaction times are 99% of what matters on the road. and they measure them in hundredths of a second. The further you have to look or the more complicated it is to find information increases the reaction time.
Exactly! That's what I'm saying. I have to look further away from the road to look down into an instrument binnacle than to simply look at the upper right corner of the center screen to check my speed. The top of the screen in my Model 3's are above the location the instrument binnacles would normally reside, putting them more in-line with my view of the road. Better safety than having to take my eyes off the road to look down below the top rim of the steering wheel.

Looking down into a hole hiding behind a moving steering wheel may have worked with skinny, large diameter steering wheels of yesteryear without airbags mounted in the wheel's center, but it's utterly ridiculous with the smaller diameter steering wheels with thicker rims and airbag covers of a modern steering wheel. Turn the wheel and you can't see any of the instruments.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
There is no benefit to not having stalks. It’s pure cost cutting.
that’s not fair

if we’re talking only about turn signals, the reality is there are extremely few instances where anyone driving properly should have *begin* indicating *after* turning

but more broadly, the lack of controls is completely consistent with Tesla’s vision of autonomous driving tech

cost cutting may be *an* benefit, but doesn’t seem fair to say there are no other rationales

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
Sure the triangle window helps, but real world experience is that the pillars are big enough to block your vision and cause you to miss things in your sight line you should absolutely be able to see. Countless times I've missed noticing people behind the pillar even though I could see part of their bodies sticking out either end of the pillar. Thankfully, I've never hit anyone. Only once diff I have a real close call, and once that happens, you make extra effort to see behind the pillar by leaning back and forth to make sure you aren't missing something. With a truck like this whose pillars are seriously sight restricting, you really have to actively pay attention when turning. What I'm talking about is the same thing as when drivers don't notice a motorcyclist even when they are looking right in their direction. Sometimes if you aren't looking for that thing right in front of your eyes, of there are enough other visual or mental distractions, you don't notice it. This happens with chunky pillars because you see the pillar, but don't notice the small section of a person that is visible in the distance beyond it when you aren't actively focusing on if there is something being blocked from view.

Anyone who says "oh it will be fine, there is that triangle window, you have so much visibility!" Probably hasn't driven a truck with chunky pillars blocking vision before.

But, thankfully there is the additional safety features of camera everywhere that automatically turn on the center console, and I'm sure Tesla's have active warning signals for collision and when things are obstructing your turn.

I believe the combination of the triangle window and all these safety features will be more than enough to prevent everything but the most oblivious drivers. Still though, you need to be aware and not minimize the restrictions on vision.

I don't have those fancy new fangled safety features in my 2007 Ridgeline, so I'm looking forward to all the bells and whistles!
Actually the safety features in regards to pedestrian warnings and cars and so forth is surprisingly poor. The A pillars in even a regular Tesla are placed problematically and close calls are regrettably common. How bad the CT is, I don’t know, until we get a chance to sit in it.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
My ford range even has a fold up seat in the middle of the console. It would be an a simple thing they could easily do.
Your ford range with a fold up seat in the middle of the console, what model year and trim level is your ford range?
Sponsored