Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
Traffic Analyst
Country flag
Getting rid of the back view screen and including it in the infotainment screen would improve visibility and lower the cost. Or?
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Not sure how each region/state/country laws would be open to that, just like the side mirrors.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I like the idea of a rear view screen where a rear view mirror would have been, mostly I suppose because I have been driving for so long and looking up, but also because I find that looking down at the screen on our M3 to take my eyes too far off the road. I feel the same about the side view system; whether display or mirror I want them more or less in the same places they have traditionally been.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
I like the idea of a rear view screen where a rear view mirror would have been, mostly I suppose because I have been driving for so long and looking up, but also because I find that looking down at the screen on our M3 to take my eyes too far off the road. I feel the same about the side view system; whether display or mirror I want them more or less in the same places they have traditionally been.
What he said...☝

OP
OP

Daniel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
Traffic Analyst
Country flag
I feel you. You like the traditional way. Might just be about the habit though. I don’t think it distracts more to look at the center screen than the mirror. And it would remove one part.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I feel you. You like the traditional way. Might just be about the habit though. I don’t think it distracts more to look at the center screen than the mirror. And it would remove one part.
Have you tried it? Do you drive a Tesla now? I admit that habit can be overcome, but the distraction in terms of time is real.

cmcarver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV
Country flag
There may also be a requirement that the display has to always be visible and I would not want to give up that much control console space. My current car has a backup camera and a selectable rearview mirror camera. Currently I don't like the rearview mirror camera as your eyes have to readjust distance every time you look at it versus the actual mirror. Maybe a higher resolution screen/camera will help with is but currently I don't like it.

I will say the kids in the back seat like it because they can see what is behind us, but not going to happen at the drivers inconvenience.

Deleted member 3316

Have you tried it? Do you drive a Tesla now? I admit that habit can be overcome, but the distraction in terms of time is real.
I drive a Model 3, I think the habit thing is very much a part of the preference for mirrors in the standard places. But the time thing is purely psychological. The main issues with video feeds are reliability and depth perception. The rear view camera regularly glitches on my 3, not for long but wouldn’t want to be solely reliant on the video feed. Also I find the depth perception problem hard to get past.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
You should be scanning your rear view every 15 seconds or so, that means never having anything else on the console screen. You should also be able to glance at it immediately when doing an emergency type maneuver. For these reasons it should have a dedicated screen, IMHO.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I would put all camera views on a display right on top of Yoke column. Stitching the views together to give a panoramic view of everything from left blind spot to back view to right blind spot during normal driving. It could be altered for other circumstances. Position the display so that for an average height person, it does not block the road but it is as close to it as possible. It would be a GOD kind of setup for CT driver, All seeing, all powerful (more so in CT3).

Deleted member 3316

I find the rear camera great for backing up at low speed but the side view cameras just do not inspire confidence at any speed. I find myself checking the mirrors in most situations. The backup camera has very little value at highway speeds.

I wonder if is just the size of the image? I feel like it just needs more magnification to provide a similar experience as a mirror.

I think incorporating the FSD AI to display an augmented view might solve some of my concerns.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You should be scanning your rear view every 15 seconds or so, that means never having anything else on the console screen. You should also be able to glance at it immediately when doing an emergency type maneuver. For these reasons it should have a dedicated screen, IMHO.
Totally Agree.

Even in ICE cars for decades now, the Rear View Mirror was placed in the upper center of a windshield for a very good reason - to allow quick visual attention to the rear, and then rapid refocusing on the road and surroundings ahead. If the upper center rear view wasn't needed in that critical placement, ICE cars would've had only side mirrors to the outside for decades long by now. The screen being lower down, can't be too much of an all in one interface bottleneck because it then would detract from safety.

Right now in the Model ≡ and Model Y, the main screen is a distraction more than ideal, for things like wiper control. music selection, climate control, because one has to not only fiddle to 'find' with sight the Access-Touch-Point of these controls, but then they also have to fiddle again to return the screen to the default map display. For the main screen I think one improvement would be a customizable option to have certain menus automatically retract and return to the default map display after an option change (if no further changes are pressed within a certain customizable delay period of a few seconds).

IMO more screens are better as in the Rivian or the Model S/X and refresh (just don't go crazy), while Tesla is still able to eliminate a lot of busy buttons for a clean minimalistic interior.

For the CT, I think Tesla has no choice but to use a camera/display implementation because the design blocks a direct visual path for a glass rear view mirror. Possibly regulatory requirements force them to have the rear view mirror display implemented for safety reasons.

I for one am curious though, how it will perform in real world situations because in a real mirror, one focuses 'through' it to the same distance of it's reflected content; but with a screen implementation one is forced to focus to the close screen to analyze it's contents. It would be cool and useful if somehow they could make it's display with a 'through distance' focal point like in the visual augmenting glasses or heads-up-displays do. So, compared to a traditional rear-view mirror, even the screen substitute might be a slight distraction with inherent refocus delays.

If in the future the desired level of autonomy performance in FSD is achieved, all these points will be moot because we would be entrusting most of the visual response to the vehicle - but at this point I think we need the focal benefits of a rear view mirror as much as possible.
Sponsored