What is your biggest Cybertruck question you'd like answered by Tesla before committing to purchase?

LoreZyra

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
RichieBartlett.com
Vehicles
CyberTruck tri-motor
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
If I can upgrade the battery capacity of a dual motor model to that of the Tri Motor model

Planned availability of charging stations to handle CT + trailer.
Bring a longer cable. Or, install extra batteries and solar panels on the trailer.
Sponsored

roncruiser

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1994 80 Series Land Cruiser, 2002 100 Series Lexus LX450, 2005 Lexus IS300
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Greetings everyone. I have been driving pick up trucks for over 43 years and we own 3 Teslaā€™s so I have some experience on these things. I thought maybe this could help you folks who donā€™t drive trucks or already donā€™t own a Tesla vehicle.

SIZE OF CT: I have always parked my truck outside in the driveway or on the street in front of my house. Although some trucks could park inside a empty garage, mine never seems to be empty. The CT is too long to park in my garage and needs to be shorter to be parked inside. My current residence doesnā€™t allow vehicles to park on the street and charging a Tesla outside is not an option so a reduction in length is really important., otherwise it would be a nightmare to charge at home.

RANGE: Folks, despite what I have read on some sights, Range is King! Always buy the longest range Tesla that you can afford. The truth is Tesla vehicles do not get the range they advertise. Not even close. Unless you just drive to the local store and back, range is way more important than you realize. First off, you only charge to 90% on a daily basis. So on the Tri-Motor which was said to offer 500 miles of range, that takes you down to 450 right off the top. I always drive with the AC on and that reduces range too. If you drive the freeways like I do, which is to say not 55-65, but more like 70-75 you will loose range. Any driving uphill will kill the range. Towing will kill the range. Then thereā€™s battery degeneration which is hard to accept. You purchase a Tesla with a certain range, but it degrades and you loose another 3-5%. I charge every night to 90% and my 2017 MS P100D magically looses range overnight. An interesting note though is that when driving down a mountain you will gain range. I gain 16 miles of range coming down from 5,000 feet from my summer home.

INTERIOR STORAGE: All new modern pick up trucks have very good storage options. My MS is terrible for interior storage. Terrible. What a pick up Truck driver needs is a place to put stuff. Thatā€™s why 2 front captains chairs is the best solution. You want the large arm rest to use to place things on, write on Or use a laptop if you work from your truck and the massive compartments underneath for everything you carry with you. Also door pocket storage, and behind the back seat storage for ropes, flairs, tie downs etc. In fact anyplace they can design interior storage would be welcome.

SIDE MIRRORS: These are a must And required by law. I donā€˜t care about an effort to get around the side mirrors by using a camera. Ever try to use a camera when itā€™s wet, dirty, muddy, foggy or snowing. Forget about it. Side mirrors are for safety I use them all the time while driving, backing up and when Iā€™m towing and when my bed or Vault is loaded blocking my view. Anybody who drives a truck knows this. They will have side mirrors. If a Tesla wants addd add additional side view camera, great but they must have mirrors first.

TAIL GATE OPTIONS: Since side loading is out due to the exterior design, tail gate options will be important for loading. I often remove the tail gate for forklift loading, and need it to lower all the way down sometimes. A hinged option would be nice too.

CHARGING OPTIONS; Dual charging ports would be great. This is a Big Vehicle and Tesla only provides a 20-25 charging cord. it is VERY important to place your wall charger as close as possible to your charge port side of the vehicle. Please donā€™t take this process lightly. Dual charging ports would help solve the issue of the location of your electrical supply and cord length problems. This is why the CT needs to fit inside a garage too. You simply cant charge your CT outside. I would like to see a Tesla provide a 35-50ā€™ charging cord for the CT too.

SUPER CHARGING: Yes I do get free SC for my MS, but itā€™s still inconvenient at this time. Maybe in 5-7 years from now if a Tesla keeps adding to the SC Network it will be better but itā€™s not great right now. When all Tesla vehicles Get 600 miles of range it will be easier to drive a Tesla And in my opinion it will be game over for ICE cars. , But the majority of people still have Range anxiety. Thatā€™s a fact and itā€™s real.

TOWING: Yes I do tow and many of you will too. remember Range is king as towing will kill your range.

EARLY ODOPTERS: I worry about being one of the first ones to get a CT. If you do t already own a Tesla, you should be worried too. My 2017 MS was Top of the Line and was very expensive. Now you can buy one that is better and costs way less. I have the MCU 1 computer. Itā€™s disappointing thatā€™s the second version is way faster and better, which means Iā€™m excluded from using all the features that Tesla pushes out unless I change the hardware. That will keep happening too. So if you. do end up getting an early CT. With all the problems and bugs that come with a brand new vehicle be prepared to accept that someone else who waited 2 years will have a better and cheaper CT with all sorts of features you wonā€™t have and probably with even more range that you got.

DELIVERY SCHEDULE: Tesla doesnā€™t have a CT factory yet. They donā€™t have the Battery technology yet. I really donā€™t see the CT being shipped in masses until 2023 so your going to be waiting a long time. You will have time to watch, plan and get ready for your CT. itā€™s not surprising to me that at only a $100.00 deposit so many people got in line to order one, but Iā€™m not expecting A high percentage of you to actually move ahead with an actual purchase. We all love Tesla but their not even close to being perfect and they certainly donā€™t match the build quality of Mercedes, Porsche, Ford etc.

No offense intended, just my thoughts.
Lots of very helpful and valid points. Lots which I had not thought of our through. Thank you.

The only thing that would stop me from purchasing the CT, is it doesn't fit in my garage.

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
I'm not sure a unibody stamping is either safe, or repairable. Looks cute, but what happens after the fenderbender, or a head on collision?
Yeah I'm thinking (hoping) the flat panels are welded together into a solid cage (the exoskeleton) and the stamped pieces inside around the doors are screwed onto the cage somehow.

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Will Tesla be leasing the Cybertrucks as well?

Omanawes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Audi
Country flag
I would like to have a possibility to place some standard roof solarcells on the rooftop and bed.
Thx

LoreZyra

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
RichieBartlett.com
Vehicles
CyberTruck tri-motor
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
With the release of Apple's U1 chip for Car Keys, will Tesla support this for more integrations with iPhone / AppleWatch?

Not only do I want my iPhone to act as the CT key, I want my AppleWatch to do the same.

Last edited:

Irv

First Name
Irv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13, 15, 17 Volt; 05 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax Diesel ; 63, 69 Corvette; 65 427 Ace Shelby Cobra Replica
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What is the number one question you have about Cybertruck that could influence your purchase decision depending on the answer you get from Tesla (or Musk)?
My biggest question is: how thick is the stainless? I have heard it said that is is 3mm think but, I don't believe it is, at least in its entirety (Maybe the box). I don't even think it would be good if it was. It would be to heavy and actually to stiff (it seems). All so the closeup images of the bends look to sharp to be that thick. I could see it if all the angels were welded flat panels but that would have it own challenges.
It sounds plausible that it's all stainless but, the inner panels are not cold rolled they could even be annealed which will make them extremely durable and weather/corrosion resistant, yet stamp-able. There are other ways to protect steel today that will make steel last forever as well.

Abacadabra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, replacing Wrangler and Model 3
Country flag
Can we PLEASE get a latch/lever handle to manually open the glove box? It absurd to dig through the console to open the bloody glove box.
Just press the talk button and say "Open the glovebox". Or, if you really want to find the button, it's available immediately when you open the menu - you don't have to dig anywhere.

LoreZyra

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
RichieBartlett.com
Vehicles
CyberTruck tri-motor
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
Just press the talk button and say "Open the glovebox". Or, if you really want to find the button, it's available immediately when you open the menu - you don't have to dig anywhere.
Don't even want to do that... Just give me a mechanic handle to open the glove box. If a passenger needs to access the glove box, I do NOT want them touching my console while driving. For no reason do I want any passenger touching my screen. This is one case where automation is absolutely not required.

And, for whatever reason the battery is virtually dead, I would be forced to rip the glove box cover off to access any tools I may need.

Abacadabra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, replacing Wrangler and Model 3
Country flag
Don't even want to do that... Just give me a mechanic handle to open the glove box. If a passenger needs to access the glove box, I do NOT want them touching my console while driving. For no reason do I want any passenger touching my screen. This is one case where automation is absolutely not required.

And, for whatever reason the battery is virtually dead, I would be forced to rip the glove box cover off to access any tools I may need.
I mean I see where you're going. There's plus sides though, like being harder to break in to the way it is now - having a mechanical handle is much easier to break in to it. Personally I much prefer it the way it is. Could consider storing tools/other items you might be worried about accessing during an emergency situation in other compartments? Or, maybe there will be a third party company that makes a glovebox you could swap out to have a handle? Who knows maybe Tesla will change it up for the truck.

Irv

First Name
Irv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13, 15, 17 Volt; 05 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax Diesel ; 63, 69 Corvette; 65 427 Ace Shelby Cobra Replica
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Exactly where does the tonneau roll down into and finally park itself?
Tesla Cybertruck What is your biggest Cybertruck question you'd like answered by Tesla before committing to purchase? CybertruckValtTopNotation

I have seen in videos of the vault top being actuated, the top goes past the rear glass as it lowers into this area I have noted. It's like one of those old style desks...

View attachment 2465

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

LoreZyra

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
RichieBartlett.com
Vehicles
CyberTruck tri-motor
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
I mean I see where you're going. There's plus sides though, like being harder to break in to the way it is now - having a mechanical handle is much easier to break in to it. Personally I much prefer it the way it is. Could consider storing tools/other items you might be worried about accessing during an emergency situation in other compartments? Or, maybe there will be a third party company that makes a glovebox you could swap out to have a handle? Who knows maybe Tesla will change it up for the truck.
I assume that anyone capable of breaking into my CyberTruck would be just as capable of ripping off the glove box.
Sponsored