What if your place in line cost $1000.00?

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I’m sure the number of reservations would be less than it is now, but let’s not forget there were over 500K reservations for the Model 3 at $1,000.
Right, but the M3 is going to be far more popular in Europe then the CT. Full size trucks are largely an anomaly centered around the Americas in the vehicle world. There may be reservations for it, in Europe but I doubt they compare %wise to the reservations for the M3. At least that's my assumption. I could be wrong and it may be irrelevant.

Also, full size trucks, though popular, only make up about 16% of all all auto sales. So the pool of people to target for a reservation is far more limited then it was/is for the M3 and the people at Tesla probably really didn't know what to expect from the truck crowd given the truck design they were unveiling. So, a much smaller pool to pull from and a very unconventional design for what is still an expensive vehicle, probably lead to the thought that they better put the reservation price low.

If Tesla wanted to start finding out who was serious about the CT and began a phase II requirement of $1000 or take your $100 refund beginning immediately after they reveal the final vehicle design and specs (battery size, mirror or no mirrors, pass though option, etc) I wouldn't be opposed to it, so long as they were on schedule to deliver within 12 months.
Sponsored

Last edited:

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I'd have reserved for $1k in November.

$5k I would probably would have done after a couple of weeks or months of consideration.

$10k would be very, very difficult to justify as an up-front with a lot of wait. But I'd honestly consider it.

I would do the extra up-front investment not necessarily to jump up in line, but rather to stop TSLA from using the fact that I happen to be in Kentucky as a reason to push my wait out further.

I expect folks close to the factory are more likely to get it faster and folks like me who are farther away, in a more rural area, and without nearby service centers will be late in the queue regardless of RN. And that makes me sad. Very, very sad.

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Or, instead of paying to jump in line, we could rent a PO Box from a UPS store in Austin and update our address on our preorder... Just thinkin' out of the box here.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I think Elon had no idea of the success the CT would drum up. People who gave the 100 dollars knew it was a low cost to get in line. Some are thinking for 100 bucks what the hell I might like it but I am sure many of us can see how this fits our needs. I know when CT rolls out for delivery plenty of would be buyers will drop out....buying a truck is not a casual purchase for many, certainly not for me. I think it's ok to have a low 100 dollar reservation,
when the rubber hits the road the real buyers will be ready to move up. When I decided to throw my hat in the ring (350K)
I was prepared for the wait plus I started my purchase strategy.
I live in North West Montana with no supercharging near my home. I signed up for a dual motor and now I am thinking of a tri motor. Not for speed (I could care less, too many deer around here) but for that excellent range. It gives me a chance to think about it and Elon may surprise us all after battery day, he may make some solid buyers ahead of me .

Replicanthunter

First Name
JohnPaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'd up my reservation dollars to 1000. 5K no because then I'd have to sell some Tesla stock and I aint doing that. Instead I'd just buy a Y and let it ride for another few years and then buy the truck.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
I just wish i had sunk $10,000 into tesla stock when the ct was announced and then i'd be getting it for free.
I did. When I saw that 40k price it was apparent that Tesla had better battery tech. So I mentioned it to my wife and asked why I didn't buy TSLA years ago. Anyways I can currently afford about 4 dual CTs.
I am looking forward to battery day.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
I would have and had wished the reservation amount had been higher to defray some of the other people who may not have been as serious about getting one. I still expect some people to drop out.

Now, I wish there was a way to pay more towards my CT so that I could ease the lump sum when the time comes, like a layaway plan.
For now, it will have to go into savings of more stock...

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Couple thoughts on this (TL;DR my answer is no)
  1. When reservations come time to convert to orders, I believe we'll see 1/3 of the list fall off
  2. The reservation list is still impacted by location, which means Texas residents will most likely see a bump in their place in line just to speed up the initial production numbers for that particular quarter.
  3. Reservation is impacted by current ownership of a $TSLA product
We'll all move up to some degree - I do not believe ~750,000 people are purchasing this out the gate.
I hear that ownership (of Tesla vehicles or stock) won't advance your place in line, but working for Tesla likely will. (Makes sense when there's an unproven vehicle coming out of a new factory.)

Last edited:

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I'd have reserved for $1k in November.

$5k I would probably would have done after a couple of weeks or months of consideration.

$10k would be very, very difficult to justify as an up-front with a lot of wait. But I'd honestly consider it.

I would do the extra up-front investment not necessarily to jump up in line, but rather to stop TSLA from using the fact that I happen to be in Kentucky as a reason to push my wait out further.

I expect folks close to the factory are more likely to get it faster and folks like me who are farther away, in a more rural area, and without nearby service centers will be late in the queue regardless of RN. And that makes me sad. Very, very sad.
I've seen no word on how geography will affect delivery, but lots of speculation about letting non-Texans pick up their pickups in Austin.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I've seen no word on how geography will affect delivery, but lots of speculation about letting non-Texans pick up their pickups in Austin.
If that's the case, I'd be willing to burn some airline miles (provided things are safe with the pandemic) to go get it and drive it home. :)

Sasmania

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
Heck, I put down $2500 right after the reveal of Y to reserve that....and I'm WAY more excited about the CT. Just now cashing in on the Y and waiting for delivery...only because I can't wait another 1 to 1.5 years to have another Tesla. I'd definitely pay 5K to reserve the CT, especially knowing it would have bumped me up in line.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Heck, I put down $2500 right after the reveal of Y to reserve that....and I'm WAY more excited about the CT. Just now cashing in on the Y and waiting for delivery...only because I can't wait another 1 to 1.5 years to have another Tesla. I'd definitely pay 5K to reserve the CT, especially knowing it would have bumped me up in line.
I did that for the Y also so I definitely would have done it for the CT, and I wouldn’t have expected any line placement change.

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
I just wish i had sunk $10,000 into tesla stock when the ct was announced and then i'd be getting it for free.
Funny you mentioned this. I put my deposit in on Black Friday. Then got interested in the company and purchased 100 shares At the $577.83 per share in April. Foolishly I sold 60 shares prior to the 5/1 split announcement. But the 40 shares remaining covered my initial investment. 40 has turned into 200 post split. You do the math now.

So Elon is buying my 2 motor CT, but in reality he could buy Me a 3 motor if I want to change.

Of course the day he announced the stock was overpriced which was weeks after I purchased my shares, it took a $70.00 drop per share. Yes, it’s a bit scary watching Tesla stock.

Who knows what the market will do leading up to the election and after, time will tell. Maybe I’ll end up with the Atv instead if the ? hits the ? .

Can you still get in and make money, we all hope so.

Would I want to be in the initial group of ct owners? Probably not. At least on the reservation spread sheet it shows me as April 2023.

I think the $100 deposit and broken windows generated all the hype. No broken window Means little to no media coverage. $100 buy in made it a feeding frenzy. All part of the master plan.

Rick

AndrewB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT-Tri Res, V10 Excursion, Victory Tour, Prius
Occupation
IT support, Development and Sys Admin
Country flag
That is basically what I did. I am buying TSLA stock as much as I can every month until my truck is built. Then I will sell what I need to pay for it. You can always start now, I expect the stock to double again before I get my truck.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That is basically what I did. I am buying TSLA stock as much as I can every month until my truck is built. Then I will sell what I need to pay for it. You can always start now, I expect the stock to double again before I get my truck.
They may have to do another stock split to cover the required S&P sales. I could see stock doubling twice before the trucks are available. Over a year is a long, long time in the stock world.
Sponsored