Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Honestly I didn't even think of this. I guess this was a missed opportunity by GMC during the reveal. All they spoke about was four wheel turning while corning....not while towing.
As someone who used to work with drafting and angles, when I saw the GMC video of the Hummer crabwalking through the rocks, I knew there was something wrong. So today I did a frame grab and drew up the angles, What they show is a 30 degree angle from a vehicle that they say can only crabwalk at 10 degrees.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck vs Hummer EV crabwalklie
Sponsored

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Range probably went to the shit drag coefficient.
The weight of that 200kWh battery pack(it's huge), which adds to the overall weight of the truck, doesn't help the range either.

I wonder what that battery pack weighs? And what the truck weighs!

Last edited:

jojo

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 LR, 2001 Honda Civic
Occupation
CWI
Country flag
As someone who used to work with drafting and angles, when I saw the GMC video of the Hummer crabwalking through the rocks, I knew there was something wrong. So today I did a frame grab and drew up the angles, What they show is a 30 degree angle from a vehicle that they say can only crabwalk at 10 degrees.
crabwalklie.jpg
Just so everyone gets it from the GMC website "CRABWALK its rear wheels can turn up to 10 degrees in either direction." lol good catch Sirfun!!

jojo

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CWI
Country flag
The weight of that 200kWh battery pack(it's huge), which adds to the overall weight of the truck, doesn't help the range either.

I wonder what that battery pack weighs?
The other thing that doesn't help it is its shaped like a shoe box. Same problem a Jeep Wrangler has.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
crabwalklie.jpg
Lol... couldn’t you.. you know.. just drive through that normally??

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I thought this thing was amazing. What a vehicle. Love the styling, performance, features... it's like a dream truck. I think they nailed it in many ways.

Vs a Cybertruck though, it comes up short in a lot of ways. The range is a big one. That's a lot of battery to only get 350 miles. The price is a giant one. In fairness to GM, I was stunned at the price of the CT. I expected at least 10-20 grand more for the CT line. A 40k gap to the Hummer for less performance in virtually all areas is really steep. The Hummer has the removable roof - which I love - and 4-wheel steering, a drivers screen and some nice interior touches. The CT has that stainless steel construction, the steel bed cover, 6 passenger seating, as well as the Tesla charge network. Styling of course is subjective with one being more car-like and unique with the other classic Truck/Hummer. I like both but prefer the CT for my own style. Two great cars, but the CT is the choice by a landslide for me for price alone. But I do love living in a time when these unique vehicles are being launched. So fun.

CybrDdHd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Tri-motor, 2020 Ram 1500
Occupation
VP-Ops
Country flag
Lol... couldn’t you.. you know.. just drive through that normally??
Hey that makes sense....but when you're buying a $112,000 EV you would much rather crab walk through that! :)
I needed a good laugh this morning. Maybe the next GMC invention will be duck and snorkel capabilities when driving through a 4" puddle... all in the name of being a true overland supertruck of course.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
------------------------------

4 wheel steering on trucks helps with

1. turning into parking slot in parking lots with narrow lanes

2. turning right on intersections with tight corners and narrow lanes

3. towing at high-speed and lane change

4. low speed towing forward and turns

5. low speed towing backing up and turning

Want extra cost option on Cybertruck
1. support 5th wheel ( removable sail panels or version with no sails)
2. 4-wheel steering

Chevy's Quadrasteer: Four-wheel steering makes this rig ideal for tugging trailers.
By Drew Hardin
September 18, 2007
https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/gear/2007/09/chevys-quadrasteer/

new Quadrasteer option available on some 2003 Chevrolet Silverado pickups. A steering rack on the rear axle controls the direction of the back wheels, steering them in a direction opposite the front wheels at low speeds, and in the same direction at highway speeds. The low-speed operation cuts the Silverado's turning circle to a compact-sedan-like 37 feet, while the high-speed function increases stability during lane changes and other maneuvers.

A Trailer Puller's Dream
We found the low-speed mode particularly helpful, as the smaller turning circle made this long-wheelbase truck more nimble than it used to be. If you pull a trailer, you'll like how the rear-steer feels on the highway, but be prepared to practice backing up to get the hang of how the rear-steer moves the trailer tongue around.

------------

Denali Swoops Into Tight Spaces Thanks to Quadrasteer System
By Jonathan WelshStaff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal
March 1, 2002
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1014926541434987080

Being able to handle a full-size pickup truck used to be a point of pride: Parking took the strength of a weightlifter. Backing a trailer down a boat ramp took the timing of a shortstop.

Now, General Motors says, it has the truck for everyone else -- the GMC Sierra Denali, with a new steering system called Quadrasteer. Its gimmick: All four wheels -- not just the front two -- turn when you crank the wheel, allowing the big rig to maneuver more like a smaller car. Yes, it's handy for off-roading and towing big trailers. But what seems to matter most is that it lets the new Denali swoop into tight parking spots without those old-style 20-point turns.

At high speeds, Quadrasteer turns the rear wheels in the same direction as the front wheels, although at a lesser angle, which makes changing lanes on the highway surprisingly smooth. At low speeds, the rear wheels go in the opposite direction, giving the truck a 37-foot turning circle -- about 10 feet less than a standard-steering Sierra.

Behind the WheelFour-wheel steering makes this big pickup handle like a small car in parking lots, and makes towing easier.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Even if I was undecided about which EV pickup to get, I could never get behind that price.
Oh man, I just realized how out dated that Hummer is going to be in no time, with all the new tech coming out. Which will probably cause some major depreciation. I used California tax & reg. calculator and my fees on $113,000 would be $9,787 so that White Elephant would cost me at least $122,787 without any other extras. Just imagine TCO on that beast with Depreciation and Insurance & every 350 miles is going to be over 200kwh, plus repair and maintenace. YIKE$

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

1. parking in parking lots with narrow lanes
2. turn right on intersections with tight corners and narrow lanes
4. low speed towing and turns
5. backing up and turning

Chevy's Quadrasteer: Four-wheel steering makes this rig ideal for tugging trailers.
By Drew Hardin
September 18, 2007

new Quadrasteer option available on some 2003 Chevrolet Silverado pickups. A steering rack on the rear axle controls the direction of the back wheels, steering them in a direction opposite the front wheels at low speeds, and in the same direction at highway speeds. The low-speed operation cuts the Silverado's turning circle to a compact-sedan-like 37 feet, while the high-speed function increases stability during lane changes and other maneuvers.

A Trailer Puller's Dream
We found the low-speed mode particularly helpful, as the smaller turning circle made this long-wheelbase truck more nimble than it used to be. If you pull a trailer, you'll like how the rear-steer feels on the highway, but be prepared to practice backing up to get the hang of how the rear-steer moves the trailer tongue around.

------------

March 1, 2002

Being able to handle a full-size pickup truck used to be a point of pride: Parking took the strength of a weightlifter. Backing a trailer down a boat ramp took the timing of a shortstop.

Now, General Motors says, it has the truck for everyone else -- the GMC Sierra Denali, with a new steering system called Quadrasteer. Its gimmick: All four wheels -- not just the front two -- turn when you crank the wheel, allowing the big rig to maneuver more like a smaller car. Yes, it's handy for off-roading and towing big trailers. But what seems to matter most is that it lets the new Denali swoop into tight parking spots without those old-style 20-point turns.

At high speeds, Quadrasteer turns the rear wheels in the same direction as the front wheels, although at a lesser angle, which makes changing lanes on the highway surprisingly smooth. At low speeds, the rear wheels go in the opposite direction, giving the truck a 37-foot turning circle -- about 10 feet less than a standard-steering Sierra.

Behind the WheelFour-wheel steering makes this big pickup handle like a small car in parking lots, and makes towing easier.

Look at the dates on those articles. How come this never took off?

jojo

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CWI
Country flag

1. turning into parking slot in parking lots with narrow lanes

2. turning right on intersections with tight corners and narrow lanes

4. low speed towing forward and turns

5. low speed towing backing up and turning

Want extra cost option on Cybertruck
1. support 5th wheel ( removable sail panels or version with no sails)
2. 4-wheel steering

By Drew Hardin
September 18, 2007

A Trailer Puller's Dream

------------

March 1, 2002

This is all great information...but it doesn’t apply to the Hummer EV because they didn’t say any of it. It was a huge oversight on GMC’s part to say it’s a Supertruck...yet not say what it can tow or haul. I wish they would of went into this because of right now the Single motor Cybertruck can out tow and has a larger payload than the Hummer EV.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
This is all great information...but it doesn’t apply to the Hummer EV because they didn’t say any of it. It was a huge oversight on GMC’s part to say it’s a Supertruck...yet not say what it can tow or haul. I wish they would of went into this because of right now the Single motor Cybertruck can out tow and has a larger payload than the Hummer EV.
Plus a locking cover over the bed. And an exoskeleton to be much more immune to damage from things like hitting the trailer hitch etc.
Plus not having to deal with paint damage like scratches from people/tools rubbing against the paint while hooking up the hitch.

Overall, having seen the CT, the Hummer looks like a big toy car that might be fun but is far from being practical for towing, or for carrying work tools.
Sponsored