5 Yr timeline, EV truck market poll

Within 5 yrs, which trucks will make into U.S market? Select all that you think will be available.

• Tesla CT

Votes: 90 100.0%
  • Rivian R1T

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • Electric Ford F-150

Votes: 82 91.1%
  • GMC Hummer EV SUT

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • Electric Chevrolet or GMC 1500

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • Toyota A-BAT or Full size truck

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Electric Nissan Truck

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Lordstown Endurance

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Bollinger B2

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Neuron EV T.One

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Fisker Alaska

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Atlis XT

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nikola Badger

• Hercules Alpha

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Dodge or Ram Electric Truck

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • Tesla "Wolverine"

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Alpha Wolf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canoo EV Pickup

• Nissan Titan EV

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
EDIT: Poll will close Sept 16th 2021. Poll is based on EV pick up trucks you think will have been sold by Sept 16th 2025. Meaning people are actually driving them.

Saw some news this morning about the electric F-150 and though it didn't say much it got me thinking about the other companies out there. I know there is a lot of trash talk about other EV trucks, but I'm curious who you all think will realistically bring an EV truck to the US consumer market in the next 5 years.

I know there is very little news about some of these options. Toyota has only said EV power trains available by 2025, and not much out of Nissan either. But I wanted to include all the major manufactures. Even without news, the major players are probably more likely to produce something in the next 5 years vs some of these start ups.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Of the top-line ones, I don't think the Endurance will.

They have a plant which is completely unsuited to the components they need to build, and seem more interested in political kickbacks than specs and sources.

The Rivian has already been making units, so they're pretty solid. I don't see why the Ford won't see production but that's far down the line. The price tag of the Bollinger is so high as to not matter if it does. Nissan and Chevy are having trouble sourcing for their electric cars and use their trucks as a profit center so I don't see them doing it within five years, maybe ten. That's the point of the side-brands, anyhow. The Badger is an afterthought and they need to be building H2 capacity to get real sales. That hasn't materialized so... And lastly, Toyota seems uninterested at all, but they and Honda hold some interesting patents and tend to enter the game late but strong. If Toyota's CEO can get his head out of his rear, maybe. Electromotive Hybrid is a space that could benefit trucks.

-Crissa

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Added Dodge to the poll. So little chatter about an E-Ram of any kind that I completely forgot about them.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I actually believe the Ford F-150 EV is the most important one to come to market (Besides the CT). As long as they don't totally blow it they have a great chance of converting a ton of die hard ICE driving ford pickup fans.

But i really dont think it will hold a candle to the CT both price and performance.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I actually believe the Ford F-150 EV is the most important one to come to market (Besides the CT). As long as they don't totally blow it they have a great chance of converting a ton of die hard ICE driving ford pickup fans.

But i really dont think it will hold a candle to the CT both price and performance.

I was talking about this exact same thing last night with a friend after I sent him the sneak peek image of the electric F-150 that they put out yesterday. (Kinda looks like the new Bronco front...like a rounded corner rectangle.) He asked if I was moving my CT funds to an electric F-150 bucket. I said no...not yet. Too many unknowns still out there. Specifically the range and price. Given that most if not all hybrids and EVs are priced higher then their ICE counterparts and the higher end F-150s are already $60k, it's hard to imagine Ford coming out with a high spec electric F-150 for $69k but i guess we'll see.

Incidentally the point of the poll isn't to say who coming out with a competitive truck to market. I just want to know who we all think will actually bring a truck to market in 5 yrs.

I don't think the Bollinger is competitive at all...too expensive. Nor the Lordstown; it lacks range and I think I read somewhere it was going to have a max speed of 70 or something like that. Both may make it to market for niche crowds, but not be mass consumer competitive. The Rivian will probably make it, but it's not the truck for the full size truck crowd that needs a good size bed. Competitive and available are two different things. Just asking what's going to be available?

Last edited:

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
I would have been down for a Bollinger but they are years behind initial forecast and now double the price with half the range of other offerings. They are no longer worth it for the "everyday consumer" IMO

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This is obviously not a scientific poll, but I'm curious why some view the topic and opt not to vote on the subject. None voters please weigh in.

My guess is that it's because the poll is really not relevant in any meaningful way and satisfying some stranger's curiosity about what the group thinking is doesn't matter to them. I respect that. But I'm still curious what you all think.

Last edited:

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
This is obviously not a scientific poll, but I'm curious why some view the topic and opt not to vote on the subject. None voters please weigh in.

My guess is that it's because the poll is really not relevant in any meaningful way and satisfying some stranger's curiosity about what the group thinking is doesn't matter to them. I respect that. But I'm still curious what you all think.
IMO it's because they dont really know how far along most or any of these products are

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Looks like Ram is going to build one now and the Hummer is now available for reservation. The Atlis even filed 6 new provisional patents...whatever that is. Things are heating up. Can't wait to see what comes in 2021!

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Except for Cybertruck I am a conventional truck man, I like my old truck it has features that I still enjoy and need. To me a blend of truck we already know and a modern electric drive. I think is going to make it. I understand frontal area reduction for the benefit of reduced wind drag but it's a truck. The stuff that gets hauled around may have a poor drag coefficient. The affordability is the next biggest concern and GM is off to a bad start 1/2 ton truck at that price point? Bollinger said from the beginning it was building for a special segment. Nissan already selles a ev truck in China, I don't think it can make it here because lack of top speed and range. Fiat Chrysler jokingly made a EV drive assist in certain trucks for half a wheel rotation from a stop, that seems to be a waste and no talks of ev trucks from them that I know of. I wonder how many other startups are a scam. Atlis truck seems to be coming along with some tech. I like their ideas on the truck build and how you buy it, take a card and check off the stuff you like on your truck. That may change truck buying, buy what you need instead of buy this package so you can get upgraded seats. Most of the startsups have offered so little in terms of what they will offer in range, capacities colors and stuff that matters to the buying public. I think some of these startups will fold like a flea market seller. For me I think four of the names are going to make it and the others are a coin toss.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Interesting that 100% of respondents think the CT is for real while only 82% think the Rivian is despite the considerable amount of press that has gone to Rivian's on and off road testing and the fact that they will be asking those with pre orders to make choices on battery, colors, seats... in a month or so. Clearly, in terms of getting vehicles on the road they are at least a year ahead of Tesla.

Why isn't Workhorse on the list?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Interesting that 100% of respondents think the CT is for real while only 82% think the Rivian is despite the considerable amount of press that has gone to Rivian's on and off road testing and the fact that they will be asking those with pre orders to make choices on battery, colors, seats... in a month or so. Clearly, in terms of getting vehicles on the road they are at least a year ahead of Tesla.

Why isn't Workhorse on the list?
Workhorse cancelled plans for there pickup, which the CEO (Former workhorse employee) of lordstown took and ran with on the agreement they would pay Workhorse a % of each truck sold.

Also I agree, Rivian is CLEARLY coming to market. At this point before anyone else, very compelling product, I cant wait to see one in person.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The poll's title says "truck", not pickup truck, but I guess everything else on there is a pickup. Clearly the C-series is not.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The poll's title says "truck", not pickup truck, but I guess everything else on there is a pickup. Clearly the C-series is not.
Valid point. But if the OP is being that broad there is a lot more than the workhorse C series which needs to be added.
Sponsored