What will it typically cost to recharge a dual motor at a Tesla charging station?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
National grid has “Special Time of Use”, you have to provide an electric car registration, you pay more during peak times and much less from 11-7am.
What is "National grid"? What region do they serve? What are their rates?
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Sean Mitchell, who drives an older Model S and drives a lot did a big cost review and he also does not cover things like out of warranty services, like for the transmission or the exhaust system, that would probably have come up in the mileage he has done.

I was shocked at how much savings it is running a older Model S compared to his previous car and a comparable car he selected for the Model S.

TexasTesla

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Quick math, I’m charging at a Supercharger in San Marcos, Tx. Here’s what I just paid per mile of charge. .025 cents... My model Y charges to 319 miles. So approximately $8 bucks here.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Quick math, I’m charging at a Supercharger in San Marcos, Tx. Here’s what I just paid per mile of charge. .025 cents... My model Y charges to 319 miles. So approximately $8 bucks here.
I know there are some cheap places, but whoa.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Can you check that math? 2.5¢/mi corresponds to electricity at 6-8¢/kWh. The average SuperCharger charges about 4 times that.

TexasTesla

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Can you check that math? 2.5¢/mi corresponds to electricity at 6-8¢/kWh. The average SuperCharger charges about 4 times that.
It’s possible I can fail at addition ?

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What is "National grid"? What region do they serve? What are their rates?
They are in NNY and other areas in NY, MA, also the UK. Voluntary special time of use rates can be obtained by providing a registration from your electric car. The special rates make sense if you can shift some load to night time. It’s around 1 cent a kWh at night, and and around 8 cents at super peak rates. Of course there are supply charges as well. I figured it cost around $1.50 ish at night total, for supply and delivery for 60kwh. They provide an audit after a year to show if you save money over the standard rates. You can switch back if you want to at that time. I anticipate that I will save a lot of money.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
So electricity straight up wins for cheapness.
Crissa, thanks for taking the time to make the tables. Very helpful.

I've been wondering something. I've seen many comparisons like this of gas vs. electric costs but not sure I've seen one where they've taken the taxes out of the cost of the gas. I believe most (if not all) states have a gas tax added to the price, and although some states now have an EV tax to attempt to balance this, it isn't in the equation when comparing energy costs. I"m guessing electric still comes out ahead, but also guessing it isn't insignificant.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
CCS adapter doesn't work with the 3/Y.
How does a Tesla J1772 specification-compliant receptacle not work with CCS? Adapters for CHAdeMO should translate pinouts and drop any signaling not employed.

Mistook J1772 as common ground all plug/receptacle configurations conformed minimally? I know CCS stateside is trying ubiquity over standardization to win USA as it did in EU.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
J1772 is for Level 2. CCS combines (C) J1772 with DC fast charging via a separate set of pins. Tesla chargers incorporate some of the provisions of the earlier CCS standard but not those of the revised. Thus a CCS to Tesla adapter has to translate CCS to Tesla protocol just as the CHAdeMO adapter has to translate the CHAdeMO protocol to Tesla. The adapters exist. It is possible to do.
Sponsored