azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Austin is pretty nice. The burbs nit so great, but they do have a nice city culture. They actually pay musicians and let bats roost in their bridges. Very nice.

-Crissa
I had seen a tv show on the bats in Austin. The locals were freaked out with the amount that would come out at dusk, so the city got rid of the bats, the mosquito population blew up....They brought the bats back, funny how that works

Tucson, Az also has a bridge I know of that has a lot of bats living under and when they leave the roost its like out of a sci-fi movie with the small attack fighters leaving the mothership
Sponsored

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I just looked it up. Some states have agreements with other states, if you pay tax in one, you are given a credit in the other. NYS and Texas do not have such an agreement, so you would pay close to 8% in both. There goes plan A.
Anyone know if Texas has such an agreement with any state? Or, how did you look it up?

If you trailered (or probably if you towed) it off the factory grounds, you wouldn't have to register/licence or (I'm pretty sure) insure it. Or maybe some states (Texas?) refund certain taxes to payers who immediately took the taxed item out of the state.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone know if Texas has such an agreement with any state? Or, how did you look it up?

If you trailered (or probably if you towed) it off the factory grounds, you wouldn't have to register/licence or (I'm pretty sure) insure it. Or maybe some states (Texas?) refund certain taxes to payers who immediately took the taxed item out of the state.
I found a table at NYS DMV. Texas does not have a reciprocal agreement with NYS. Other states may vary.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I found a table at NYS DMV. Texas does not have a reciprocal agreement with NYS. Other states may vary.
And Texas charges tax on vehicles purchased in Texas.
Who is responsible for this tax?
A person who purchases a motor vehicle in Texas owes motor vehicle sales tax.

A Texas resident, a person domiciled or doing business in Texas, or a new Texas resident who brings into Texas a motor vehicle that was purchased or leased out of state owes motor vehicle use tax, the new resident tax or the gift tax, as applicable.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And Texas charges tax on vehicles purchased in Texas.
Who is responsible for this tax?
A person who purchases a motor vehicle in Texas owes motor vehicle sales tax.

A Texas resident, a person domiciled or doing business in Texas, or a new Texas resident who brings into Texas a motor vehicle that was purchased or leased out of state owes motor vehicle use tax, the new resident tax or the gift tax, as applicable.
It does NOT say when registered, which is how NYS does things.

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
I think like Crissa was saying, the point is probably mute. You are only purchasing it once., not twice. You won't need to pay taxes on it twice. And I believe, like already said, you purchase it before you even pick it up. Then, pay the taxes as you register it in your home state.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I wrote them too. A bit more wordy than yours, but I pointed out that this "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" deal is a win-win-win situation. Tesla wins because they don't have to send our Cybertrucks all over kingdom come and risk damage or destruction from accidents and lookie-loos, and it is much more efficient with appointment-based delivery rather than over-the-road. The owner wins by not having to pay inflated delivery costs, and Austin wins by a boost to their tourism economy. I asked them to consider it on an upcoming agenda.
Elon's policy may have been against local pick up, but policy can change. How many Cybertrucks can a hauler carry? I'll bet that same one person (driver equivalent) can "turn the keys" over to many times over the number of delivered Cybertrucks locally versus on-the-road home delivery. How many car haulers will be required to get 700,000 Cybertrucks delivered? How many drivers? How many gallons of diesel fuel? Oil usage? Perhaps he is planning on having Tesla car haulers, but if not? Local pickup seems more consistent with Tesla's mission statement than shipping them all over the country on diesel burning behemoths. Not even Elon can argue with that one.

hobbit11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Country flag
I wrote them too. A bit more wordy than yours, but I pointed out that this "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" deal is a win-win-win situation. Tesla wins because they don't have to send our Cybertrucks all over kingdom come and risk damage or destruction from accidents and lookie-loos, and it is much more efficient with appointment-based delivery rather than over-the-road. The owner wins by not having to pay inflated delivery costs, and Austin wins by a boost to their tourism economy. I asked them to consider it on an upcoming agenda.
Elon's policy may have been against local pick up, but policy can change. How many Cybertrucks can a hauler carry? I'll bet that same one person (driver equivalent) can "turn the keys" over to many times over the number of delivered Cybertrucks locally versus on-the-road home delivery. How many car haulers will be required to get 700,000 Cybertrucks delivered? How many drivers? How many gallons of diesel fuel? Oil usage? Perhaps he is planning on having Tesla car haulers, but if not? Local pickup seems more consistent with Tesla's mission statement than shipping them all over the country on diesel burning behemoths. Not even Elon can argue with that one.
if they get enough of these, the money gained is bound to burn a hole in their greedy little pockets...Great job

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I had seen a tv show on the bats in Austin. The locals were freaked out with the amount that would come out at dusk, so the city got rid of the bats, the mosquito population blew up....They brought the bats back, funny how that works

Tucson, Az also has a bridge I know of that has a lot of bats living under and when they leave the roost its like out of a sci-fi movie with the small attack fighters leaving the mothership
Tucson is another small, awesome city!
I love that no matter which direction you drive in Tucson, you are staring at some mountains in the (not so) distance.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
For the last time:

You are not buying a truck in Texas.

You bought it at home. You will register it in your state. You can do this before you take possession of the vehicle.

You take your papers, plonk them in your truck, they hand you the keys, and you're off. No sale in Texas has occurred.

-Crissa

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
For the last time:

You are not buying a truck in Texas.

You bought it at home. You will register it in your state. You can do this before you take possession of the vehicle.

You take your papers, plonk them in your truck, they hand you the keys, and you're off. No sale in Texas has occurred.

-Crissa
... But not in Nebraska, for one. You have to get a VIN inspection on any vehicle purchased from out of state. And here's the kicker - Nebraska does not allow manufacturer direct sales so I had to pick up my Model Y in Kansas (hour and a half away). I wonder, in may case, if I pick up my CT in Texas and register it in Nebraska, where does the sale take place? Some third state somewhere?

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And that’s where the Semi comes in, they are making the Semi before the CT?