Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They're already using Semis to deliver cars. And for the battery run from Nevada.

... But not in Nebraska, for one. You have to get a VIN inspection on any vehicle ...
So did you register it in Nebraska first, or did you get temporary tags from the state? How do you get the vin inspection without temporary tags?

-Crissa
Sponsored

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
... But not in Nebraska, for one. You have to get a VIN inspection on any vehicle purchased from out of state. And here's the kicker - Nebraska does not allow manufacturer direct sales so I had to pick up my Model Y in Kansas (hour and a half away). I wonder, in may case, if I pick up my CT in Texas and register it in Nebraska, where does the sale take place? Some third state somewhere?
That's great! I thought I had to bring my truck from Texas to Arkansas and plonk my papers here to register it. Still no sale in Texas, just road usage, but anytime I'm driving in Texas I'm using the road. I'm sure they'll squawk about fuel taxes, although Arkansas hikes fees for EVs. So if it is that simple, picking up our CT in Austin should be a no-brainer. Just turn over the no-keys! After a cash transfer of course! Crissa, I REALLY appreciate all your input. I don't know if you are an official Teslaite or simply an interested and informed consumer, but I sure do appreciate you!

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Subject: Encourage Tesla to allow factory pickup
Message: Hello, I'm one of the 1.5 million or so people who has a Tesla Cybertruck reservation, and would like to pick up my truck in Austin, TX. Was wondering if you're able to offer incentives for Tesla to allow this, as my family would make a mini vacation out of it and would enjoy spending a few days sightseeing in Austin. Thanks!
Cyberman
This could work!

Deleted member 5322

Subject: Encourage Tesla to allow factory pickup
Message: Hello, I'm one of the 1.5 million or so people who has a Tesla Cybertruck reservation, and would like to pick up my truck in Austin, TX. Was wondering if you're able to offer incentives for Tesla to allow this, as my family would make a mini vacation out of it and would enjoy spending a few days sightseeing in Austin. Thanks!
Cyberman
This could work!
Who should I write it to?
And it is not a confirmed option from Tesla. Do you guys know if tesla allows to pick up M3 or MY from the Freemont factory? And many YouTubers claimed there is still a destination fee you have to pay anyway!

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I want to take time off and enjoy a road trip with my new CT. I want to see the factory where it was built. And conveniently, I have family near Austin that I can show off and offer rides in my new CT.

To my knowledge, Tesla hasn't done factory pick-up since they started high volume mass production. But Elon did say that Terafactory Austin is going to be a destination site earlier, around July or so...

"It’s about 2,000 acres and we’re going to make it a factory that is going to be stunning. It’s right on the Colorado River. So we’re actually going to have a boardwalk, where there’ll be a hiking/biking trail. It’s going to basically be an ecological paradise, birds in the trees, butterflies, fish in the stream, and it’ll be open to the public as well. So not closed and only Tesla."

Elon please make it so! I want to fly into Austin-Bergstrom and hop over to Terafactory Texas to pick up my CT. I feel like posting this somehow might make it more likely to happen. Anybody else on board?
1. Are there any North American road-vehicle makers that factory-deliver?

2. If Tesla did so, would the 4-figure delivery charge still apply? And how would the licencing/registration and insuring work for non-Texas buyers who plan to drive their purchase home?

3. Tesla ships its vehicles to its service garages for delivery. How much does Tesla pay these garages for their part? And what is their part (besides receiving, storing, customer contact, and paper-work)? Do they do anything to the Tesla (besides washing and charging) to prepare it for delivery? And will they deliver it to you?

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
And that’s where the Semi comes in, they are making the Semi before the CT?
Even if the Semi is produced well before the CT (I doubt that).... you still need a trailer to put many CT on behind a Semi. And you still need a person to drive/unload/deliver them.

Pick up at the factory is a well proven concept in Germany.
It ensures customer loyalty and generates new bussines.
Just google " VW, Autostadt, Wolfsburg" here you have to pay a fee but get a deluxe package,
or "Mercedes Werksabholung" it is free and you get a Factory tour, lunch, other goodies.

btw. I have bought a K-1500 (new) in Wisconsin and a E-150 Conversion Van (new) in Colorado Springs, both times it was an "out of state sale" (Export to Germany, ) and no sales tax has been charged.

With a tempory plate (card board / paper from the dealer) I was able to travel 30 / 60(with extension) days to the east cost for shipping.
I took the senic roads. ?

This time I would actually register the CT in the USA to drive it for a longer time.
Shipping it, only if TESLA canceled it for the rest of the world.

Any suggestions for a cheap registration state? :unsure:
I heard Delaware is high up on the list for boaters.:D

darn I should have put this in my mail to the Texas council members.
8% is a bargain we have to pay 19% VAT.

OP
OP
KrodEKid

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
Seeing as
1. Are there any North American road-vehicle makers that factory-deliver?

2. If Tesla did so, would the 4-figure delivery charge still apply? And how would the licencing/registration and insuring work for non-Texas buyers who plan to drive their purchase home?

3. Tesla ships its vehicles to its service garages for delivery. How much does Tesla pay these garages for their part? And what is their part (besides receiving, storing, customer contact, and paper-work)? Do they do anything to the Tesla (besides washing and charging) to prepare it for delivery? And will they deliver it to you?
I've never bought a new car before and have limited experience with questions you're proposing. The answers are most likely disappointing partially due to legal issues in car purchasing. I assume Texas will not likely allow factory pick-up unless dealer networks can be out lobbied in the state. But if enough consumers make known what they want law makers and car makers will take notice. That's the point of an interest forum right? Gather people of like minds so we can share information and support our interests.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Seeing as

I've never bought a new car before and have limited experience with questions you're proposing. The answers are most likely disappointing partially due to legal issues in car purchasing. I assume Texas will not likely allow factory pick-up unless dealer networks can be out lobbied in the state. But if enough consumers make known what they want law makers and car makers will take notice. That's the point of an interest forum right? Gather people of like minds so we can share information and support our interests.
Hmmmm.... Seems like you are thinking of starting a lobbying group. It would certainly be nice if a strong lobbying group were out there for EV end users. For the moment I doubt it could stand up to the ICE manufacturers lobbying. But in time, they will be loosing power and as more EVs get bought it’s possible that we could create something with enough power to get what we want. Not sure what it would look like though if it grew to the power level of the AARP.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
call it a cyberdrive
with cybercowboys
And this starts in TEXAS ?? Sign me up Scotty (Ace).

Do you think a Texas council member can oppose this "Tradition" ?
Will they put up barbed wire fences across the toll way?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
This kind of change would be more effectively directed to the Texas state legislature where taxing issues start and are decided. However, putting pressure on the Austin city council is good as they will see how much in sales taxes they stand to gain by having people pick up CT at the factory.

JETMECH

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 T100 4x4, 2012 Cadillac CTS Wagon, 3.6 AWD, 2018 Rad Mini E-bike
Occupation
Retired, A&P Mechanic/Techincal Conslutan
Country flag
Factory Pick up would be fun, would not care if the cost is the same as local delivery. According to the spread sheet my CT should be ready in January 2023, I'd drive down to Austin from Seattle in the T100 with my wife stopping at ski resorts along the way to play with gravity. From Austin we'd caravan to NC drop the T100 at our nephew's place (he want's the T100) then check out what the East has to offer for skiing. For giggles and grins check out what the Midwest ski resorts have to offer. As always praying for snow each and every year.
Sponsored