Dan Truax

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Tesla Yet
Country flag
Cast ass end makes me think that the truck is going to be more expensive than the originally quotes prices, along with our government's increase in the M1 supply.
Sponsored

OB2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Cybertruck design is final. Rear underbody to be one piece casting

Tesla Cybertruck engineering is done, first deliveries will happen this year, Musk says

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-cybertruck-elon-musk-production/

Tesla plans to deliver the first examples of its Cybertruck by the end of this year. That's the latest from Tesla CEO Elon Musk, speaking to members of the media during the company's quarterly earnings call on Wednesday.

"We'll make a few deliveries of the Cybertruck in 2021," Musk said, "but volume production is set for next year."

Musk also confirmed the Cybertruck is past its design and engineering phases. "We've got the designs fixed," he said. "We'll soon order the equipment necessary to make the Cybertruck." Whether or not the production version will look like the angular debut truck is still anyone's guess.

On that note, Musk said Cybertruck production will require an even larger casting press than the one being used for the Model Y. An 8,000-ton press will be necessary to make the truck, compared to 6,000 tons for the Model Y.

The first Cybertrucks to reach production will be the most powerful, tri-motor variants, according to an earlier report. The more affordable versions will be built in 2022. The Cybertrucks will be built at Tesla's new Gigafactory in Austin, Texas, which could be up and running as soon as May.
I hope that there aren’t too many drastic design changes to the final design. The prototype is what caught my eye and definitely lured me in to purchase. But knowing Musk and Tesla, I’m sure they won’t disappoint.
Also, now that design is “done,” I wonder what options they’re going to roll out?

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I hope that there aren’t too many drastic design changes to the final design. The prototype is what caught my eye and definitely lured me in to purchase. But knowing Musk and Tesla, I’m sure they won’t disappoint.
Also, now that design is “done,” I wonder what options they’re going to roll out?
Almost all I have heard since the launch is that they ditched the small size reduction all over. Which sounds good. Hope they’re true to the prototype in most other regards as well. But I did also hear the “chine” on the side would be more level....

It’s such an unusual, spectacular and “simple” design that a small change in form can make a big difference in its expression for different people.

Changing one tiny line on the F150 at this point wouldn’t make such a difference.

Last edited:

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I was under the impression we solved that with dielectrics a long time ago. I feel I must be missing something. Is there a genuine concern over galvanic corrosion between the aluminum frame and the SS exoskeleton that wouldn't be solved the same way we combine all sorts of mixed metal systems with dielectrics?

The aluminum subframes for the motors and suspension may be rubber isolated. But now that I look at the battery day casting pictures, the casts will likely be glued and then mechanically fastened to the SS exoskeleton. This would be the most rigid configuration.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
@intimidator you are right Tesla needs to build more capacity fast.....

But why do you assume it has to be at a new site?

Take GiGa Berlin (actually Brandenburg / in a different substate):
They have started a year ago with a goal of 250K or so.....
But if you look at the rate they have cleared additional "tree plantation" (it is not realy an old divers forest). This had to be done before March if you want to build in 2021...

It happened after the (2) additional raising of capital.
I assume they have allready given the go ahead for a second and maybe even a third stage. :unsure:
Tesla just didn't announce it, yet.....
Maybe they have respect for the still clean underpants of VW,DB,BMW....? :poop:

Now back to the US of A:

As INTIMIDATOR pointed out It takes time to find a suitable location, buy land,etc.

Those boxes are allredy checked at GiGa Texas.
The funds to build another factory are in the TESLA Bank
off topic: btw. why has @ELON not implemented a TESLAZip2/X.com ? All the customers for a start are in TESLAs database.....?

IMHO it would be far easyer and faster to make use of the vast Texas Teslaland area and just build a second factory there.

There are only a few reasons I can think of why this has not happened yet.

There is a limited amount of building companies, so they have to finish GiGaone Texas first.
A lot of skilled workers are needed and they have to move to Texas first..
Tesla has all the "incentives" in Texas allready cashed in.
But those millions in another state do not outweight the timeadvantage in Texas.

I believe we will see an exponential groth in production capacity in 2021 - 24. A lot of that groth will be at the today existing locations.
TC,
Some excellent points. Tesla has plenty of CASH, and can raise another $5 billion before lunch if they need it. Money is not the problem.

The constraints are two fold:

1) HUMAN capital, i.e. people to run the cranes, deliver the steel, pour the concrete, etc.
and the engineers and tech staff to build out and outfit and run the factories.
2) TIME. It just takes time. Time to find, hire and train staff. Time for deliveries to arrive. Time for the concrete to set. Time to get building permits. Time to test the new GigaPresses, etc. etc.
Elon could put $10 billion dollars in a pile 5000 feet West of the Austin Texas plant and say "build me another building to produce 200,000 more Teslas" and yet it would take at least a year and half for that project to be completed.

speach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS P100D, Escalade, Acura MDX, Focus ST, PriusC
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The aluminum subframes for the motors and suspension may be rubber isolated. But now that I look at the battery day casting pictures, the casts will likely be glued and then mechanically fastened to the SS exoskeleton. This would be the most rigid configuration.
That makes sense. Likely the glue would prove to be a dielectric, but the mechanical fastener could be the exception here. I would *hope* the brilliant engineers at Tesla would not overlook this basic fundamental to not have dissimilar metals in direct contact with each other.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
@intimidator you are right Tesla needs to build more capacity fast.....

But why do you assume it has to be at a new site?
Usually the answer is 'workers'. There's only so much housing and available workers in a single area, and only so much building can be done at once before toes get stepped upon.

Tesla seems to be using their space very efficiently, so Giga Austin would be able to build dozens of theFremont facility. And you're right, they got local tax benefits (and even the kind that progressives approve of!).

Another reason is that sprawling factories become weak points globally... One bad storm and you're losing production. Spread out, weather (or any event) affects the total by less.

Cast ass end makes me think that the truck is going to be more expensive than the originally quotes prices, along with our government's increase in the M1 supply.
The cast is a big expense up front, but if you're going to make a million of them, it's much, much cheaper.

Tesla would not overlook this basic fundamental to not have dissimilar metals in direct contact with each other.
They already mix metals in their cars and make batteries which... is mixing metals. It would be silly if they didn't think of it.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Cybertruck design is final. Rear underbody to be one piece casting

Tesla Cybertruck engineering is done, first deliveries will happen this year, Musk says

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-cybertruck-elon-musk-production/

Tesla plans to deliver the first examples of its Cybertruck by the end of this year. That's the latest from Tesla CEO Elon Musk, speaking to members of the media during the company's quarterly earnings call on Wednesday.

"We'll make a few deliveries of the Cybertruck in 2021," Musk said, "but volume production is set for next year."

Musk also confirmed the Cybertruck is past its design and engineering phases. "We've got the designs fixed," he said. "We'll soon order the equipment necessary to make the Cybertruck." Whether or not the production version will look like the angular debut truck is still anyone's guess.

On that note, Musk said Cybertruck production will require an even larger casting press than the one being used for the Model Y. An 8,000-ton press will be necessary to make the truck, compared to 6,000 tons for the Model Y.

The first Cybertrucks to reach production will be the most powerful, tri-motor variants, according to an earlier report. The more affordable versions will be built in 2022. The Cybertrucks will be built at Tesla's new Gigafactory in Austin, Texas, which could be up and running as soon as May.
I thought Elon said he was going to host an event to unveil the new and improved updates to the Cybertruck design? Wasn't that suppose to happen a month or so ago? Any word on this and is it still on any dates?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I thought Elon said he was going to host an event to unveil the new and improved updates to the Cybertruck design? Wasn't that suppose to happen a month or so ago? Any word on this and is it still on any dates?
Ok, I think this calls it.

Back on November 1, 2020 Elon told us there would be updates "in a month or so".

Now you are asking about updates that were supposed to have happened
a month or so ago
So I guess we have now come round to the point where the update is actually late.

OP
OP
EVCanuck

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
I just watched a video about BMW i3 production and am wondering what if the rear subframe of the Cybertruck is made of carbon fiber polymer. Guess I'm dreaming but there's a real possibility for the roadster...

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I just watched a video about BMW i3 production and am wondering what if the rear subframe of the Cybertruck is made of carbon fiber polymer. Guess I'm dreaming but there's a real possibility for the roadster...
When Sandy Munro was interviewing Elon, he talked about the BMW i3 and Carbon Fiber, but Elon didn't seem to like it. He seems to think S.S. is a better choice.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When Sandy Munro was interviewing Elon, he talked about the BMW i3 and Carbon Fiber, but Elon didn't seem to like it. He seems to think S.S. is a better choice.
They do different things. And carbon fiber's weaknesses at extreme temperatures doomed it as a material when SpaceX was looking at using it.

And Elon has been on a recycling tear recently; steel is much more recyclable than most materials, while carbon fiber isn't recyclable at all.

That said, I don't think they'd avoid using it if it were the best material for a task.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have observed "brand loyalty" is for many better referred to as "brand animosity". I can recall several Chevy/Ford/Dodge folks who 20 years ago asserted they wouldn't be caught dead in the other two later bought a Tundra or a Titan. It's not that they were brand loyal, but grew up hating the other two and had no problem going with a better product that wasn't a Chevy/Ford/Dodge down the road.

I imagine the same is will be true now for those loyal to any petro-based brand - someone who was a "Toyota Guy" might never consider a Nissan or Chevy/Ford/Dodge, but would have no issue with a Rivian or a Tesla brand, provided the actual vehicle appealed to them.

I also believe a lot of people misunderstand why some people buy a Tesla - it is not because they must have everything that a Tesla represents. But for much of what Tesla does (so far) it is way out in front. If someone built an alternative EV that bested the Tesla in 3 of the 4: range, acceleration, cost, and autopilot, there is an appreciable portion of Tesla buyers that would welcome the option.

I am not brand loyal. I have had a Harley Davidson F150 (supercharged), a Z71 Avalanche, and now an AWD Escalade ESV. I would prefer the EV modern equivalent of any of these to the CT I ordered IF the range, acceleration, cost, and autopilot were all comparable or better to the CT. At the same cost, I'd bet the deposit neither range, acceleration or AP will be comparable for the electric F150. That is why I bought the CT.

However... once I decided to buy a CT, it's kind of growing on me.
Any EV truck/car will probably have mind-blowing acceleration compared to just about any ICE vehicle in a comparable category. Range will be tough for the old manufacturers but Rivian is in the same ballpark. AP maybe but FST no. Cost, probably not. OTA updates, probably not. Supercharger network, probably not. Overall, definitely not.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
In 2023 maybe Tesla delivers 200,000 CTs? Still not putting a big dent in Ford and GM sales.
Tesla does not have to sell as much initially to put a dent in their sale. It just needs to have a slam dunk first impression with initial owners (from all walks of life) and folks that review CT. That will put many potential buyers of the big three on hold if they think they can get a better truck for less by waiting. So far an EV truck is still a pie in the sky. Once it is proven in real world you will start seeing the real dent. However people won’t wait forever. They do have to increase capacity before others catch up.
Sponsored