How many miles per day on a strictly L2 charging network?

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Where are you going to find some place to plug that in? An RV park's 50a plug won't do it, it'll melt,

-Crissa
I thought the 50a at RV parks was ok when using the mobil connector that comes with the car....if there is only 30a service, cant you use a TT30-P to Nema 14-50 R and reduce charging inside car to 24a?.....
Sponsored

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
I thought the 50a at RV parks was ok when using the mobil connector that comes with the car....if there is only 30a service, cant you use a TT30-P to Nema 14-50 R and reduce charging inside car to 24a?.....
Yes, that is possible.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes, but an EVSE (te part outside the car) itself should not be plugged into a service with a lower capacity. The point of the EVSE is for it to tell the car how much service is available so it doesn't melt the outlet...

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, but an EVSE (te part outside the car) itself should not be plugged into a service with a lower capacity. The point of the EVSE is for it to tell the car how much service is available so it doesn't melt the outlet...

-Crissa
Crissa......isn't that the point of the TT30P > Nema 14-50R? I thought the adapter is wired properly (the ground).....unless you get one specifically designed, and ground wires are attached to correct pins......isn't that what causes over heating and melting? It was my understanding, that if you can only get 30a service, the adapter will allow you to use it as long as you only use 80% of the rated amperage.....that I think in the main reason to set the car at 24amps....did I miss something...thanks....I want to be on the safe side when I go to Miami next month

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Crissa......isn't that the point of the TT30P > Nema 14-50R? I thought the adapter is wired properly ...
Previously it was suggested to use a higher power EVSE which would report its capacity incorrectly to the car.

The primary function of an EVSE is as a dumb adapter plug that says, 'this outlet can only handle this much power draw' to the car.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Previously it was suggested to use a higher power EVSE which would report its capacity incorrectly to the car.

The primary function of an EVSE is as a dumb adapter plug that says, 'this outlet can only handle this much power draw' to the car.

-Crissa
got it ....thanks

BigWaveDragon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 AWD, CyberTruck Tri-Motor (Reservation)
Occupation
IT Manger
Country flag
Yes, that is possible.
I have two Gen2 High Powered Tesla wall chargers that each can be setup on a 100 amp circuit/80 amps continuous which is ~ 19.2 kW.

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector-second-generation

I am hoping that the CyberTruck, especially the Tri-Motor, will charge @ 19.2 kW.

Remember the CyberTruck will most likely use more Watts per mile than M3, MY, MS & MX, so charging will need to be higher to get a similar Charge Mi/Hr as the other vehicles. I currently have a M3, but got a MS as a loner for a few days. Man did I feel the slower Mi/Hr charging on the same 30 amp circuit/24 amp continuous charger. Imagine a Tri-Motor CT on that charger?

Anyway, assuming that you can get a Gen2 or Tesla will have a special charger for CyberTruck that will charge at 19.2 kW, you should be golden.

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
we'll if you have enough money or sponsors to do the unpredictable, anything can happen....I di not expect Tesla to go out to BFE and install chargers just so someone can do something they thought of after a few margaritas
It takes a lot of Margaritas to do the planning. Once in Russia, I'll switch to Vodka. My initial research is pretty grim -- Apparently, I cannot find warm garages with Electricity every 400Km, and my Russian expedition guide pushes me towards two gasoline generators in parallel (yuck, that's a sin). One common thing about these remote routes is that warm auto-mechanic shops are available pretty much everywhere, so my thinking is that a car shop also must have high power 220V drops. Yes, it is very difficult, almost impossible. Money not an issue, electricity and heat is a problem. Oh and BTW, I will also rent a Kamaz as backup vehicle. I don't want to die.

dempster

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model 3, 2021 Model Y, Cybertruck preoder
Country flag