How can the Tri-Motor Cybertruck at $70k possibly be real?

Cysco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
50th Anniversary Porsche 911, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Country flag
I just can’t wrap my head around how Tesla is going to charge “only” $70k for the tri-motor CT when the refreshed Model S Plaid+ Is going for. $145,000 to start.

They both are going to share the same battery architecture (and have the same 500+ miles of range). They both have air suspension. They both have three motors. They both presumably have the same front screen, AC system, software etc. If anything, the CT has expenses beyond that of the S. Larger tires, More glass, the vault door and mechanism to name a few, not to mention a brand new factory that will need its costs recouped.

I just don’t see how Tesla is going to deliver that truck at less than half the price of what they’re selling the Plaid+ For anytime soon. Especially when the Plaid+ has been pushed out to mid-next year. Either the Tri-Motor CT is going to be the deal o the century, or it’s going to be quite a long ways out before we see it.

What am I missing here? Is there some variable I’m not considering that justifies the difference in price between the two vehicles?
Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
I’d guess the Model S Plaid + will only sell a few thousand units vs maybe 250k+, it’s still Tesla’s top model (“Halo” vehicle), is painted, etc. I agree though, the Tri-Motor looks like a bargain in comparison.

OP
OP

Cysco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’d guess the Model S Plaid + will only sell a few thousand units vs maybe 250k+, it’s still Tesla’s top model (“Halo” vehicle), is painted, etc. I agree though, the Tri-Motor looks like a bargain in comparison.
yeah, that’s a good point about the quantity produced. Just seems like the overall cost to build each vehicle would be roughly the same. If the price of the CT were 100k, I could see it, but dang it’s such a massive difference in price.

I’ll be thrilled if Tesla delivers what they say they’re going to for the price anytime in the next 18-months. But, for back-up I ordered a new model s LR a couple months ago to hold me over since I don’t think my TMCT will get to me for at least three years.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
I feel like the error everyone is making in this comparison is the assumption that the price charged is directly related to the cost to produce. This is inaccurate. The price charged is directly related to an assessment of what people will pay ... And that has more to do with exclusivity. Don;t assume, incorrectly, that you are paying for the cost of something based on its true value, you are paying for intrinsic value... Tesla is going to charge what people pay. They are making more in the end because they aren't charging 140,000 for a tri-motor that less than half would order when they are charging half of 140,000 for easily double that number of orders. It is also going to cost them less to produce a Cybertruck eventually. Easier to produce and no paint. Bigger tires don't necessarily cost more, I'll show you my bill for much smaller performance tires if you want to see....

And a sports car or sports sedan is not a truck, in spite of the marketing and what people want to think. It's going to be awesome, but it's not going to replace my Porsche.

OP you should totally understand all this based on also owning a 911...

SS

Last edited:

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
The Plaid Plus Model S will be 1 sec. quicker in 0-60 and will fit in a regular garage. That's what people with money are looking for.

As for tri-motor CT, it will not compete for Porsche 911 buyers, it will compete against Raptors and TRXs

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I just can’t wrap my head around how Tesla is going to charge “only” $70k for the tri-motor CT when the refreshed Model S Plaid+ Is going for. $145,000 to start.

They both are going to share the same battery architecture (and have the same 500+ miles of range). They both have air suspension. They both have three motors. They both presumably have the same front screen, AC system, software etc. If anything, the CT has expenses beyond that of the S. Larger tires, More glass, the vault door and mechanism to name a few, not to mention a brand new factory that will need its costs recouped.

I just don’t see how Tesla is going to deliver that truck at less than half the price of what they’re selling the Plaid+ For anytime soon. Especially when the Plaid+ has been pushed out to mid-next year. Either the Tri-Motor CT is going to be the deal o the century, or it’s going to be quite a long ways out before we see it.

What am I missing here? Is there some variable I’m not considering that justifies the difference in price between the two vehicles?
It won't make a difference we can't drive it anyway, someone stole our door handles! :)

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Even if Tesla sells CT1, CT2 and CT3 at cost, getting a fraction of Truck market in U.S. is worth it. The revenue that comes from selling FSDs, Tesla Insurance, Solar roofs and power walls for the houses that have CT in their driveways are only part of the revenue that will come from getting folks deeper into Tesla world. How many people do you know that bought a Tesla and then went for something else? It is like a roach motel, Tesla just has to get you in. I have never owned an EV and a frankly a bit afraid of owning a Tesla but CT got me hooked. If I am hooked, I know the numbers are going to be ridiculously high in a few years. And this is what it is all about: the numbers.

OP
OP

Cysco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I feel like the error everyone is making in this comparison is the assumption that the price charged is directly related to the cost to produce. This is inaccurate. The price charged is directly related to an assessment of what people will pay ... And that has more to do with exclusivity. Don;t assume, incorrectly, that you are paying for the cost of something based on its true value, you are paying for intrinsic value... Tesla is going to charge what people pay. They are making more in the end because they aren't charging 140,000 for a tri-motor that less than half would order when they are charging half of 140,000 for easily double that number of orders. It is also going to cost them less to produce a Cybertruck eventually. Easier to produce and no paint. Bigger tires don't necessarily cost more, I'll show you my bill for much smaller performance tires if you want to see....

And a sports car or sports sedan is not a truck, in spite of the marketing and what people want to think. It's going to be awesome, but it's not going to replace my Porsche.

SS
Perhaps to a certain extent, but Tesla is past the part of their life where their focus is one of milking money from halo cars to cover R&D. (OK, maybe except for the Roadster) Tesla is all about volume now. There’s a reason why all you hear about is how many cars Tesla is shipping any given quarter. I don’t think the model S is like a Porsche GT car where they can make insane margins on them because they know people will pay whatever they ask..

If I’m not mistaken, Tesla has stated in the past that they target a 25% profit margin on all their cars (which is already crazy) With their high volume stuff dipping a toe into 30% recently. I don’t see Tesla bucking that trend all of a sudden for the S+.

So let’s say they’re getting better than Porsche margins and earning a mind blowing 40% on each Plaid+ S. And let’s say Tesla is making 30% margins on a CT. So a TMCT would cost around 50k to make and a Plaid + around 90k to make. I can’t wrap my head around what could possibly make the S that much more expensive to manufacture. So either:

A. An S Plaid+ is WAY more expensive to make than a TMCT for some reason
B. Tesla has bucked their historic Pricing trend and is getting insane (60%+?) margins on the Plaid+

Will be interesting to see which one is true when they start manufacturing both.

Oh, any my CT won’t be replacing my Porsche either. They can burry me in my 911. :)

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
The CT3 can be cheaper than the S# because of what has to go into that S...paint, extreme aerodynamic drag reduction, curved body panels, curved glass, likely higher quality interior finishes, race capeable wheels, tires, brakes, motors, software, chassis. We don't have a confirmation the CT3 will have plaid. I, for one, am guessing CT3# or CT# will be a special edition 150k version of the CT, maybe one intended for the Baja?

The CT is being designed to be the most efficient vehicle to build, period. Everybody seems to forget this. Fewer parts, fewer steps to assemble, fewer robots needed to do this assembly, smaller footprint to build. You cannot compare this vehicle to anything Tesla has built to this point, as it's not intended to be.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

SS
I could not agree with you more! This is a lesson in life I'm constantly trying to express. PRICES ARE BASED ON WHAT PEOPLE WILL PAY.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Yeah.. as many have stated already the CT must just be super affordable to build. I mean it think its going to be the best bang for your buck of all the Tesla line up. Actually probably of any EV period. Another reason why I think we will see the Cyber lineup expanding into and SUV/CyberVan

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
What was said about intrinsic value and market penetration above, plus that the CT is potentially a very high mass market vehicle, of the greatest car market, if the price is right. Then you can split factory costs and R&D on a magnitude more vehicles than you can with the flagship Model S. The preorders show a massive interest, before the general public is very aware.
Sponsored