Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia sedona
Occupation
Custodian
Country flag
Duel is the sweet spot for 10 grand more you get longer range , better acceleration and all wheel drive. I don’t care what the weather is where you are or your driving needs. That doesn’t change the fact that the duel motor is the sweet spot in this 3 tiered set up.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Duel is the sweet spot for 10 grand more you get longer range , better acceleration and all wheel drive. I don’t care what the weather is where you are or your driving needs. That doesn’t change the fact that the duel motor is the sweet spot in this 3 tiered set up.
Yes, dual motor is very good but need option of dual motor with more range.
I do not need more power for my towing just more range. Also larger battery pack means when charging from 10% to 80% at Supercharger the charge rate is higher than with a smaller pack

Deleted member 859

I have intentions of purchasing the single motor cybertruck, but if there is any good argument for getting a double, I am prepared to upgrade. Can someone with enough information tell me if I am not concerned with power, what other good reasons are there to go with double? I don’t know much about AWD FWD RWD to know why RWD may not be ideal. Can someone educate me on this please. Thanks!
I decided to go with the dual motor for 2 main reasons 1) Handling characteristics for rear wheel drive pickups on slick surfaces are always bad. I know the battery pack helps equalize the weight distribution but the rear end of the Cybertruck will not be as heavily loaded as the front when the bed is empty. Where I live, we may go weeks between rain showers. The dust and oils that coat the surface of asphalt become very slick with a light rain. Even with traction control in my current truck, you MUST adjust your style of driving or you will end up in the ditch or worse. All wheel drive will save many lives for people buying their first truck. 2) The range of the dual motor fits my needs best.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
There are three kinds of 4WD owners. One kind uses 4WD to keep from getting stuck, another uses it to get stuck farther away from help and the third kind thinks that since he can get moving better in snow and or ice he can also stop better.
The 4th kind just stays home in bad weather. My coworker had a great 4x4 and was a fairly good driver. His logic was that I don’t mind being the idiot that gets out in this kinda weather if I was the only idiot on the road but there is no shortage of idiots out there and one of them is bound to get me. I know he was right because I was one of the idiots that got out many times when I shouldn’t have.

Rick'sCT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I haven't seen any specs on the stereo systems of the CT but in the M3 you get an upgraded stereo with the DM not the SM.
I wonder if their will be upgrades with the Cybertruck DM vs. SM?

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Man, I really like the fire-breathing dragon. But my reasoning is a little simpler. The first time you go just a little bit off-road, if you happen to hit a soft/sandy/muddy spot, you'll be shittin' bricks thinking "I shoulda got the 4WD"

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome!! I enjoyed reading every response and already learning so much more about the CT.
some things that were said to be unclear for others who want to put in their input:
This will be a bday gift for my wife, but we will use it together since we both haven’t had a car since 2014 and been waiting for the right car.
this is a pickup, but I would be using it to go to the store lol soooo yah we r probably not getting this for the reasons most people would. However, I am an architect and plan to build a home for us off-grid in the near future, so I feel that it will come in handy then, and maybe for that reason the double and tri make sense?
I didn’t think the range really mattered since we live in a city and we also don’t get much snow, but I’m now thinking being off grid in the future will require the double at the least, so you all have helped me a lot.., just that now of course,I feel like if I’m going to go to double, might as well get the tri lol. Talk me out of it? Thanks guys!!
the fact that its a large pickup dosnt really matter for daily driving. Tons of people daily drive big pickups, infact its pretty cool feeling so high up and "powerful" on the road compared to a normal car.

-if your fully off grid I dont see how you will charge the truck at home. maybe if you rarely drive it will be fine. otherwise you will always have to charge somewhere else?
-towing supplies, or a camper will reduce range a lot, we think half with a large trailer
- you can (no details yet, though) use it as an external battery via the 120v (maybe 240?) to power things your working on.

If you can afford it, just go with the CT3 (tri-motor)... its the best range for the money for Ev's right now.

another thing is battery lifetime, lithium likes not being discharged too much. So if you have more overall capacity the battery is being stressed less... leading to a longer lifetime of the battery.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Man, I really like the fire-breathing dragon. But my reasoning is a little simpler. The first time you go just a little bit off-road, if you happen to hit a soft/sandy/muddy spot, you'll be shittin' bricks thinking "I shoulda got the 4WD"
This denotes the bold wide dividing line between RWD and AWD. The RWD is the more purpose built vehicle even though the cheap least expensive.

Cybertruck incredible 14” ground clearance, independent suspension and torque vectoring electronics is going to deliver RWD capabilty overlapping 4x4‘s. Those who realize that potential, know their territory and can manage their inner gearhead will RWD.

AWD is a “lifesaver”. Its more traction to the ground evenly distributed and torque vectored to ridiculous extremes. Dual motor lacks only range and ludicrous amounts of power under your toe.

Really, in San Diego RWD goes everywhere. Cuyamaca’s everywhere, Mojave damn near everywhere except beyond sheep canyon. Baja RWD goes where trophy trucks tread. Personally, Elon is holding RWD last for the reason that its that good. Releasing earlier than CT2/CT3 canibalizes sales.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Personally, Elon is holding RWD last for the reason that its that good. Releasing earlier than CT2/CT3 canibalizes sales.
Tesla does not have cannibalization of sales problem right now and will probably not have that problem for many many years (10 years ?).

Tesla can not make enough to get even close to possible demand yet.

The ratio of 2WD/RWD to AWD/4WD varies a lot depending on region of the country.

In Southern California, Texas, Arizona and other similar climate regions, 2WD/RWD can be over 40% (some places high as 44%) of the pickup truck market. In northern regions 2WD/RWD might only be 25%.

In some regions, the single motor 2WD/RWD Cybertruck will be the version most bought by businesses that have multiple trucks.

Future Cybertruck fleet sales for years 2022 - 2032 should be massive and none of this is really reflected in current 1 million Cybertruck reservation count.

The 25% price ( $10,000) difference to upgrade to dual motor Cybertruck is quite large.
If 2WD/RWD was all the job needed, for a fleet buyer, multiplying that $10K for each Cybertruck would be huge issue.

Last edited:

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
May, 7 2021. Just placed an order for the single motor Cybertruck in Honolulu. I am retired and don’t need the 0 to 60 performance. I don’t tow anything, nor do I haul a heavy load. I don’t need the 500 miles battery range or I may fall into the ocean in a tiny island in Hawaii. Lol! I’m tired of dealing with the ICE engine of oil change, belts and so on. Electric vehicle is much more cleaner way to own. Expected delivery date of 2023. Order number in the 114,000,000 range, if that’s how you read the order number.
Sponsored