dedav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I have intentions of purchasing the single motor cybertruck, but if there is any good argument for getting a double, I am prepared to upgrade. Can someone with enough information tell me if I am not concerned with power, what other good reasons are there to go with double? I don’t know much about AWD FWD RWD to know why RWD may not be ideal. Can someone educate me on this please. Thanks!
Sponsored

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
The main thing anyone here would be missing is the context in which you plan to use the truck.

Are you a city driver who doesn't need extra battery range? Do you plan to take this CT off pavement?

Dual motor will primarily accomplish two things: longer range, and better offroading. (plus more power, but you said you don't care about that).

Also, the Single is currently set to be the last model delivered, so if time is of importance that might factor in.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I have intentions of purchasing the single motor cybertruck, but if there is any good argument for getting a double, I am prepared to upgrade. Can someone with enough information tell me if I am not concerned with power, what other good reasons are there to go with double? I don’t know much about AWD FWD RWD to know why RWD may not be ideal. Can someone educate me on this please. Thanks!
I have lived in similar climate (cold winters & possibly lots of snow) areas in the past.

Most people in that type of climate will want as a minimum the dual motor AWD Cybertruck for the extra traction in snow and extra range to compensate for some of the low temp range loss.
Others in that climate will need tri-motor for more range ( tri-motor power level is not that important).

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When the configurator opens up, you will be able to select the dual-motor version.

There's not much to think about of 4x vs awd here, since the truck will choose which motor to use based upon which is most efficient. Different speed, torque need, and wheel slip will be acted upon by the motor controller. It's not locked together like a mechanical linkage in a traditional truck; it's more like you have a front wheel drive and a rear wheel drive truck in the same truck.

-Crissa

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Here's my logic for the Trimotor..... I'm in northern Canada and I'm about 600 km from the nearest town equivalent in size to where I live, so range is my key factor.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
If you live in an area that gets very cold (like below freezing) the duel motor gets you more range (cold reduces range) the ct2 has i think 50 miles more range than the ct1 and the 4wd / awd is good for snow.

if, like me (living in ca) you rarely see cold and snow, the single is probably fine.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
4WD is really handy in snow, sand or mud. I currently drive a RWD car, and it's wonderful in most situations. I'm sure the CT1 will be wonderful in most situations. But I live in Canada and get 3 months of snow. Every winter I long for a 4WD car. I got stuck once this year, and there are other times I avoid going out because I would get stuck. Some times that issue combines with a time I can't avoid going out or I get trapped by an unexpected storm. That's especially nerve wracking with two young kids. So I definitely want a 4WD vehicle with some ground clearance. An added bonus would be some trail/beach exploring in the summer, which can get tricky with 2WD. 4WD gives you the advantage of if one set of wheels are on a surface without traction like mud or sand or snow, the other two likely have some grip to keep you or get you moving.

4WD also gives you performance advantages in acceleration since you have the moving torque being applied to four points instead of two. You may not care for speed, but you might care if you intend to tow something. Realistically a 2WD vehicle will do fine, just a 4WD car will have an easier time and give you less anxiety pulling into traffic from a stop or whatever.

With the CT there is the obvious bonus that they increase the battery size with each motor added. If range is an issue, the bigger the better. For me, with the cold temps and open spaces of Canada I really want to go with the CT3 for max battery, if I can make it work financially.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
IF you don’t know anything about AWD FWD RWD, your use case isn’t demanding.

Order RWD. Its a killer truck at the price.
Order AWD. Its a nice dual motor “in case” you need it.
Order FWD. Its tri-motor ‘cuz “range”. Its the best deal for the money. IF you got it - you need it to blow past SC Tesla’s charging!

Bottomline: How much money do you have to waste on a pickup?

Cyberpark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
IF you don’t know anything about AWD FWD RWD, your use case isn’t demanding.

Order RWD. Its a killer truck at the price.
Order AWD. Its a nice dual motor “in case” you need it.
Order FWD. Its tri-motor ‘cuz “range”. Its the best deal for the money. IF you got it - you need it to blow past SC Tesla’s charging!

Bottomline: How much money do you have to waste on a pickup?
The three-motor version is really good.The German plant is said to have been delayed until January 2022 due to local regulations and battery supply.I guess this could be good news for CT development at the Texas plant as Tesla can focus more on the construction of the Texas plant and the core supply chain

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
4WD is really handy in snow, sand or mud. I currently drive a RWD car, and it's wonderful in most situations. I'm sure the CT1 will be wonderful in most situations. But I live in Canada and get 3 months of snow. Every winter I long for a 4WD car. I got stuck once this year, and there are other times I avoid going out because I would get stuck. Some times that issue combines with a time I can't avoid going out or I get trapped by an unexpected storm. That's especially nerve wracking with two young kids. So I definitely want a 4WD vehicle with some ground clearance. An added bonus would be some trail/beach exploring in the summer, which can get tricky with 2WD. 4WD gives you the advantage of if one set of wheels are on a surface without traction like mud or sand or snow, the other two likely have some grip to keep you or get you moving.

4WD also gives you performance advantages in acceleration since you have the moving torque being applied to four points instead of two. You may not care for speed, but you might care if you intend to tow something. Realistically a 2WD vehicle will do fine, just a 4WD car will have an easier time and give you less anxiety pulling into traffic from a stop or whatever.

With the CT there is the obvious bonus that they increase the battery size with each motor added. If range is an issue, the bigger the better. For me, with the cold temps and open spaces of Canada I really want to go with the CT3 for max battery, if I can make it work financially.

There are three kinds of 4WD owners. One kind uses 4WD to keep from getting stuck, another uses it to get stuck farther away from help and the third kind thinks that since he can get moving better in snow and or ice he can also stop better.

OP
OP
dedav

dedav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome!! I enjoyed reading every response and already learning so much more about the CT.
some things that were said to be unclear for others who want to put in their input:
This will be a bday gift for my wife, but we will use it together since we both haven’t had a car since 2014 and been waiting for the right car.
this is a pickup, but I would be using it to go to the store lol soooo yah we r probably not getting this for the reasons most people would. However, I am an architect and plan to build a home for us off-grid in the near future, so I feel that it will come in handy then, and maybe for that reason the double and tri make sense?
I didn’t think the range really mattered since we live in a city and we also don’t get much snow, but I’m now thinking being off grid in the future will require the double at the least, so you all have helped me a lot.., just that now of course,I feel like if I’m going to go to double, might as well get the tri lol. Talk me out of it? Thanks guys!!

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome!! I enjoyed reading every response and already learning so much more about the CT.
some things that were said to be unclear for others who want to put in their input:
This will be a bday gift for my wife, but we will use it together since we both haven’t had a car since 2014 and been waiting for the right car.
this is a pickup, but I would be using it to go to the store lol soooo yah we r probably not getting this for the reasons most people would. However, I am an architect and plan to build a home for us off-grid in the near future, so I feel that it will come in handy then, and maybe for that reason the double and tri make sense?
I didn’t think the range really mattered since we live in a city and we also don’t get much snow, but I’m now thinking being off grid in the future will require the double at the least, so you all have helped me a lot.., just that now of course,I feel like if I’m going to go to double, might as well get the tri lol. Talk me out of it? Thanks guys!!

Building an off grid home adds another consideration to the issue. I live in a 3000 square foot home and heat with propane and wood (mostly wood). During the 8 months that I do not use A/C I average 14 KWH per day with the max being around 16. I could cut that in half if I had a smaller house and was more careful with my use. You could use the CT as a standby source of power for nearly a week and still be able to drive to the grid to charge. You can use it to tow a travel trailer to the site and live in it while your house is being built. You can haul materials to the site and save a lot of money. I would advise you to think about these factors and then consider a 3 motor CT. I think the larger battery would be a good idea.

exdxgxe4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I switch from single to double solely for the all wheel drive. I live in Wisconsin, where winter lasts 3 months. While I feel the snow hasn't been that bad lately, it only takes one accident to make me question why I didn't spend the extra $10k when I can afford it.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
1. Single motor = sensibility, wow I can get this huge S.S. utilitarian vehicle for $39,900, with the cost of ownership of a Toyota Camry.
2. Dual motor = all that with awesome AWD capability, unbelievable power and acceleration that matches any truck ever produced. Plus 50 more miles of range, for only $10,000 more. What a deal!
3. Tri Motor = The top dog, it doesn't get any better than this. A 500 mile range Super-truck, with acceleration of a Super-car. For only $70,000 I could drive one of the best vehicles ever built!

Life's about choices. Elon went from the most sensible vehicle to own, to a fire breathing dragon, all in one model. So now whatcha gonna do?
Sponsored

Last edited: