Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Just more kicking the can down the road, more frustration.
This was just Design phase. We are not even in production hell phase yet. We all need to be ready to get toasty.

Once things are rolling (which could be a while), without the paint job and with the casting machine pumping out half the truck in one shot, , I am hoping they spit out CTs quite fast, especially in 2023. That is assuming chips and battery shortage are not an issue. A realistic delivery for me is not earlier than 2024. I wonder how many miles of text I have read on this forum by then and what the EV truck landscape will be like at that time.

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a feeling the tailgate will be a bit shorter and rear visibility with the vault open (in case a rear view mirror is forced) will be better. The reason I am thinking this is that if I recall correctly Elon a while back mentioned that sloped line on the side will be more level. Raising the front does not sound like a good idea so I am thinking they must be lowering the height of the rear. If they do, they may have to add one more sheet to the ramp due to shorter tailgate.

It is a bit late here. I doubt any of this will makes sense in the morning but I had to login and meet my rant quota for the day.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
DANGER! THUNK WARNING! Ford's Lightning prototype launch started me thinking!

Why is CT's face-to-face reveal taking so long after it was teased so long ago? Why can't they just put a few out, where we can get close enough to touch it?
The reveal is taking so long because Tesla wants to develop many more options for the CyberTruckers to graze upon.
Does that make sense?

F150 is the best selling vehicle in America. (what's the best selling vehicle on the planet?)
Ford knows that every pickup buyer has a slightly different need than every other pickup buyer. A very large component of the F150's popularity is it's plethora of options. Ford's list of options can sometimes seem infinite. Everybody gets to have EXACTLY what they need. This is even leaving out the F250 up to F650. And of course åçaftermarket parts....
Tesla sees this. Tesla wants this. Tesla knows they'll (eventually) need this to stay competitive.
But All we have seen of CT options is some extremely fuzzy pictures of a camper tent projected on a screen. This is unacceptable to Tesla.
However, This goes 180 degrees against. Tesla's long standing policy of streamlining factory-floor. Didn't they that all single-double-or-tri-motor models will have the same suspension. Will they all have nearly the same interiors and electronics? I would think so. So what remains that would make one CT significantly different from the next as they roll down the assembly line?
The Body. They should develop at least one other body style. Very many personal buyers, and very few commercial fleet owners want anything to do with the second row seats and doors. It would still be like, the ONLY option other than number of motors, so it's not going to kill the assembly line speed.

Other guesses for delay could be...
Never before seen frameless-origami-folded-stainless-steel-structural-body needs very serious real world testing. And they better get that structural battery compartment 100 percent correct, the first time! Screwing that up would cost them a truckload of dollars.

Lastly, I must say that the CQ CyberQuad bike is without question the coolest option ever offered on any truck. (You do have to buy a CT before you are offered a CQ, right?)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
DANGER! THUNK WARNING! Ford's Lightning prototype launch started me thinking!

Why is CT's face-to-face reveal taking so long after it was teased so long ago? Why can't they just put a few out, where we can get close enough to touch it?
The reveal is taking so long because Tesla wants to develop many more options for the CyberTruckers to graze upon.
Does that make sense?

F150 is the best selling vehicle in America. (what's the best selling vehicle on the planet?)
Ford knows that every pickup buyer has a slightly different need than every other pickup buyer. A very large component of the F150's popularity is it's plethora of options. Ford's list of options can sometimes seem infinite. Everybody gets to have EXACTLY what they need. This is even leaving out the F250 up to F650. And of course åçaftermarket parts....
Tesla sees this. Tesla wants this. Tesla knows they'll (eventually) need this to stay competitive.
But All we have seen of CT options is some extremely fuzzy pictures of a camper tent projected on a screen. This is unacceptable to Tesla.
However, This goes 180 degrees against. Tesla's long standing policy of streamlining factory-floor. Didn't they that all single-double-or-tri-motor models will have the same suspension. Will they all have nearly the same interiors and electronics? I would think so. So what remains that would make one CT significantly different from the next as they roll down the assembly line?
The Body. They should develop at least one other body style. Very many personal buyers, and very few commercial fleet owners want anything to do with the second row seats and doors. It would still be like, the ONLY option other than number of motors, so it's not going to kill the assembly line speed.

Other guesses for delay could be...
Never before seen frameless-origami-folded-stainless-steel-structural-body needs very serious real world testing. And they better get that structural battery compartment 100 percent correct, the first time! Screwing that up would cost them a truckload of dollars.

Lastly, I must say that the CQ CyberQuad bike is without question the coolest option ever offered on any truck. (You do have to buy a CT before you are offered a CQ, right?)
There won’t be other body styles. I would say that the one thing @elonmusk has hung his hat on regarding the CT is the stainless steel exoskeleton and for the time being the origami tank design is all they have. I could see some variation across the three models that goes beyond motors and battery pack size but we will have to wait for an announcement.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
They could remove the rear seats and doors, then move the vault mechanism and partition forward... without altering the roofline.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They could remove the rear seats and doors, then move the vault mechanism and partition forward... without altering the roofline.
Or put in the Avalanche style mid-gate everyone has been asking for and have it all.

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Or put in the Avalanche style mid-gate everyone has been asking for and have it all.
This is honestly my most burning question I have about the final design... All the other questions we've raised on this forum are interesting to be sure, but the mid-gate is going to be such a massive issue for camping/overlanding

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
You live in a fantasy world but go for it! I hope you won’t be too disappointed if what you want doesn’t materialize. I signed up based on what he presented at the unveiling so if he delivers on that I’m a happy camper.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
A decision has been made. I will not be humble when contacted my truck is ready to build and delivery date issued

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I was hoping that someone ELSE would use simple logic to come up with the REAL reason that updated CT's are not available for us to see. It's very simple.

They don't have an operational 8000 ton IDRA press. They only have the 6000 ton variety. This means they can not make the larger castings needed to create an updated CT.
Keep your eye on the drone footage for a 33% bigger IDRA press.

That's not delusional.
Only I am Delusional.
Sponsored