Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The vast majority of cars are not in remote locations. I agree, if you're heading somewhere remove, take a spare.

But if you're not, why carry the extra weight and bulk around? I don't carry my winter tires or even the socks in the summer. Why would I?

It's pretty much the same, make sure you have the gear you need to get home. No more, no less.

-Crissa
Vs. scout motto

Be prepared!
Sponsored

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm a scout, but I don't carry my winter tires with me everywhere either. I do have a push scooter though, it can be a total lifesaver if you're stranded and need to go a few miles for help! Or if you want a fun last mile experience when you're out and about.

A first aid kit, jumper cables (for others), mobile charger, tire pump, and a tire patch kit sure come in handy for the extra space though!

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Did anyone else notice that the model s gets 10.8% better milage with the 19" wheels vs the 21" wheels. What might that mean for CT wheel options.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Did anyone else notice that the model s gets 10.8% better milage with the 19" wheels vs the 21" wheels. What might that mean for CT wheel options.
The 19" wheels have different aero and a different tube profile. Less rolling resistance.

The actual circumference of the tires isn't much different.

-Crissa

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Weight (of tire/wheel combination) and tire tread/rolling resistance have a big effect as well.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Well if the CT has the same tires as the reveal day at the stated range an optimized wheel might see a 15%? improvement in range. That is significant.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Well if the CT has the same tires as the reveal day at the stated range an optimized wheel might see a 15%? improvement in range. That is significant.
The range Tesla is referring to with the 250/300/500+ miles doesn't have to be the exact same set up as what they reveal on a prototype.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
The range Tesla is referring to with the 250/300/500+ miles doesn't have to be the exact same set up as what they reveal on a prototype.
I would call that a little misleading then. They showed 35s with aggressive tread. I might let them off the hook if they lost the sidewall tread. I would like 90 highway/10 off road tire anyway but I am hoping I will gain a couple miles over the rating with that compromise.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
It is why I will have the ugliest high mileage radials for my commute. However, I care less about battery range and more about tire grip and performance.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
It is why I will have the ugliest high mileage radials for my commute. However, I care less about battery range and more about tire grip and performance.
I have found that soft/sipped tires are the best in winter on compact snow and ice, not necessarily big tires or aggressive tread. I laugh when the jacked up trucks with gnarly tires get stuck and I cruise through in a Subaru. The high profile trucks and SUV with stiff suspensions end up sliding off the road as well.

We shouldn't have that problem with the CT with the low center of gravity and softish suspension.

I guess you might want deep tread in the sand or muck, but I try to avoid the worst of that. No plans to rock crawl or mud bog for me though.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Whatever size Tesla chooses is fine with me. I just need E rated tires. If they aren't an E rating or better, they will not carry the 3500 pound payload.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
There will be a different Monroney sticker for each configuration sold.

-Crissa
If the CT gets 10-15% less miles per charge with the 35" tires shown (or similar) there will be some very disappointed people. Obviously I am hoping that a roadworthy wheel package will actually increase stated range.

I am sure there will be an option.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I have found that soft/sipped tires are the best in winter on compact snow and ice, not necessarily big tires or aggressive tread. I laugh when the jacked up trucks with gnarly tires get stuck and I cruise through in a Subaru. The high profile trucks and SUV with stiff suspensions end up sliding off the road as well.

We shouldn't have that problem with the CT with the low center of gravity and softish suspension.

I guess you might want deep tread in the sand or muck, but I try to avoid the worst of that. No plans to rock crawl or mud bog for me though.
I drive So Californian freeways. My biggest worry is severe storms, 1 mm of rain. It is not the rain, many drivers here forget what they are doing when a couple raindrops appear. ?
Sponsored