I Cancelled my Cybertruck for the F150 Lightning

Jamessmooth007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I've preordered both CT and Lightning, and I'll most likely be going with CT in the end because of what you wrote. At this point, CT is the better bang for your buck.
Sponsored

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It will be a fine grocery getter.
It will look cool at the golf course parking lot.
It's going to look great when you leave it at your brothers house to go camping with his truck.
A lot of people will see this as a joke but it's pretty much exactly how I see the Lightning.

The lightning and any Electric truck (including the CT) that is less than 400 miles range, is going to be limited when it comes to things that trucks are designed for.

If you are a contractor, you will either be limited on how far you can go with a big load or you'll be making use of fast chargers during your work hours, which sucks more when you don't have Tesla Superchargers. This won't be too bad unless you live somewhere that gets winter and then it's going to get real annoying real fast.

The small bed is a big factor of why I wouldn't get it even if the CT didn't exist. I personally don't even own a trailer because my Truck eliminates my need for one. almost everything I've ever needed has fit in the bed of my truck; i've only ever needed more space twice and those times I just went out and rented a trailer for the day.

and of course, even if you don't plan to haul a lot and you don't need a large bed, it's still only 300 miles range which you won't always get and the usuable range is still less than that unless you plan to charge your battery to 100%. If you want to go on a camping trip or a roadtrip, you've got to plan for a worse case scenario with range on any EV, which hurts when you don't have much as it is.

But i've mentioned it before; if you want a truck that looks like a truck and don't plan to haul stuff very far, or in extreme cold, or go on trips far away until the charging network is better, and don't mind the price, it's not a bad vehicle.
I've got a few friends that have trucks and I don't know why they have trucks. They might be interested in the lightning because i'm 99% sure they just bought a truck to drive around in a truck. And there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own reason for wanting the vehicles they buy.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I would much rather have the fully refundable $100 deposit still reserving a CT spot, rather than in my bank account. At least until I've recieved the Lighting and ensured that it meets my needs and makes me happy.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've preordered both CT and Lightning, and I'll most likely be going with CT in the end because of what you wrote. At this point, CT is the better bang for your buck.
well, at 49999 for the CT2, it really is a good choice....I think the range issue with ford and charging issue is worth a little more consideration.....I'll stick with either the CT2 or CT3 based on final range disclouer

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
In 2 days, I have had more contact with Ford than my entire reservation timeline with Tesla [Reserved at launch]. I have a representative, dealership, and production timeline. +1 for Ford customer service.
I'm glad they are responsive. It's a Ford, you'll likely have lots of interaction with the dealer after delivery too..... :rimshot:

Please come back and let us know when you actually take delivery of it

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I hedged by bets by placing a reservation on the Cybertruck, Rivian R1T and a Lightning.

I ordered the Cybertruck around 11am the day after the reveal and its my #1 BEV pickup choice by a long shot. I simply love everything about it, especially the wedge shaped futuristic styling. It’s looks so much better in person. Photos and videos don’t do it justice.

Pic from my visit to the Peterson Museum
Tesla Cybertruck I Cancelled my Cybertruck for the F150 Lightning D08C2DAD-F6C8-4216-A84B-1FB9F8ABC422

Tesla Cybertruck I Cancelled my Cybertruck for the F150 Lightning EF24699A-8805-4DF1-940C-26BB95B808A6

Last edited:

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Enjoy your Ford. Don't dwell on shoulda, coulda, woulda. Especially when driving past the CTs when they come cruising down your street all shiny and cool. Don't think "man, I could be driving that sucker right now". Be happy settling for a truck that looks just like any other. Yes, it was impatient but you got your truck sooner (maybe) and you can put your clubs under the hood and not have to scuff up the back of the bed. Sure, it cost a little more, sure, it will scratch easier, sure, it looks plain, sure, A CT will blow your doors off in every way but you got yours first. Congratulations... Did I leave the stove on? I smell something burning. (I truly hope you didn't actually cancel your reservation dude)

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Man, you guys are brutal. Payback will be a B. when he comes back telling us about his lightening in the driveway and we are sucking our thumbs two years down the road still waiting for an update.

I probably have dropped out by then, unless @Mini2nut come back every once in a while with his photos and recharge me.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
no over the air updates

Ford would like to have a word with you.

Tesla Cybertruck I Cancelled my Cybertruck for the F150 Lightning 1625192829292

FordPass SmartLink Upgrades (yes, that's the actual name) are available for some Ford makes as old as 2010. They will be using a Google OS in their cars in the future. They had a automotive version of Windows in their car since 2008.

Will the F150 Lightning system be as polished as Tesla? Doubtful, but the jury is out. Will it be something remarkable? I'd bet the under.

I don't like Tesla's map anything. After entertainment - which I hope all autos have figured out at this point - maps are a good place to make inroads against Tesla.

Broadly speaking, I don't see Ford as a software company. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they showed any amount of software chops.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
At the end of the day, when they sit in the driveway and we are enjoying family in our homes, they are just vehicles. Some more fun than others to drive.

If you had not cancelled your reservation, I would suggest keeping it while getting the Lightning since you can cancel it later. When production comes up, you may want both.
Agreed. These are just things. They don’t care about you and they don’t shift the scale of the legacy you leave behind. Pursue what makes you happy!

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
If you and I were neighbors and we went to Home Depot to shop for a bbq and we looked at two side by side and one was stainless steel, came with a cover, had more room to grill, armor viewing glass and better tech features and it cost less than the one next to it which was painted steel, smaller cooking surface, normal glass but if you bought the most expensive version you could pay even more for an attachment to heat your house in the case of an emergency. I think the choice would be obvious. I think when the trucks come out the choice will be obvious too

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
No roast, just a thank you. Enjoy your Ford. I hope it is everything you want it to be.
It was cool of @ScottJackson to post this. Most people would go out quietly. I hope others that are thinking about dropping out use this thread to let us know. Scott gave me hope now that I know the line got shorter for me (by 0.0000014). Thanks Scott. Enjoy your Lightening.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It was cool of @ScottJackson to post this. Most people would go out quietly. I hope others that are thinking about dropping out use this thread to let us know. Scott gave me hope now that I know the line got shorter for me (by 0.0000014). Thanks Scott. Enjoy your Lightening.
I had two preorders and was going to cancel one but now I think I should keep it to restore balance to the line.
Sponsored