First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
calls placed to service department, “Why is my light always red?”
Tesla Service: It's a reflection of your bank balance after our insurance company is done billing based on your driving habits.
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
How about a logo that changes colors based on how aggressive the driver is. It turns a little more red each time a driver makes a quick lane change, accelerates quickly, or exceeds the speed limit by more than 15 MPH. Tailgating or cutting a car off, it turns bright red and flashes.

Drivers who chill at 5-10 MPH over the speed limit and use the passing lane correctly get blue. Drivers who have averages the speed limit or lower get green. If they camp the passing lane, it flashes yellow and orange.

Then it would make sense for drivers who use autopilot to have a glowing blue light... except for the passing lane campers.

Mood lighting for the car. I dig it.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
We don’t need visual cues for the police to watch. Red is for kill authorization, hot tub time machine, and not as a measurement on my driving.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
The NHTSA has only confirmed autopilot was involved in 3 fatalities since 2016. I think all of those people were inside the vehicle, not in other cars. There are about 25 additional cases which the NHTSA is still investigating but they've eliminated autopilot as the cause in some cases too.

The media assumes a Tesla is on autopilot long before the details come out. (And often long after it's been demonstrated autopilot wasn't involved)

The big unanswerable question is... how many fatalities were avoided because the car was on autopilot?
Unfortunately what DIDN'T happen because of _____, is much harder than finding blame for something that DID happen.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
No matter how this video is portrayed negatively, three lives saved in the first two examples.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We don’t need visual cues for the police to watch. Red is for kill authorization, hot tub time machine, and not as a measurement on my driving.
Well I feel the same about autopilot. It's nobodies business if my car is in cruise control or has lane keep on. The douchebags of the world don't need that little bit of intel.

OP
OP

Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Well I feel the same about autopilot. It's nobodies business if my car is in cruise control or has lane keep on. The douchebags of the world don't need that little bit of intel.
If your in control I agree. If on autopilot I don’t.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If your in control I agree. If on autopilot I don’t.
You can put whatever color mood mods you want on your truck.

Unless they pass a law requiring it between now and when the Cybertruck ships, it's not going to be an issue. If they do manage to pass a law between now and then, it'll be something I have to disable after I buy my truck.

TexasTesla

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
All I got out of this, half of us are below average ??

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
I have always thought that true Level 5 self-driving could actually be attained if EVERY car was on Level 5, but as long as there are humans driving who can swerve into you unexpectedly (for WHATEVER reason, no worries, they'll think of something to tell the officer after the accident).

But with a car at least warning others that it is in Autopilot (or whatever a carmaker names their driver assist function) I think that most (and I mean MOST) drivers would be mature and perhaps even curious enough to simply allow this blue-lit car to drive and see how it does...

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
...and if it does well, maybe even consider getting one themselves.
Sponsored