Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I like your Cel phone analogy there, thats pretty good. Although I’d have to say 50k doesn't seem high dollar in 2021 and is actually on the low end of what most new trucks will cost. I was just looking at new Fords last week that were slightly more than double that. Put me down for 10 of those $50,000 farms too lol. Unless you mistyped and left off a zero.
Yeah, and I'm not sure anyone can "buy the farm" for 50k once you figure in final medical bills, decent funeral, and certainly not repatriation of remains if you "buy the farm" when abroad... heh heh heh! Perhaps one could buy a "farmette" built with Legos? Something with cowettes and chickenettes? How far can we take the 50k farm? Simply for entertainment purposes, of course to include the obligatory CTette!
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, and I'm not sure anyone can "buy the farm" for 50k once you figure in final medical bills, decent funeral, and certainly not repatriation of remains if you "buy the farm" when abroad... heh heh heh! Perhaps one could buy a "farmette" built with Legos? Something with cowettes and chickenettes? How far can we take the 50k farm? Simply for entertainment purposes, of course to include the obligatory CTette!
I'd suggest otherwise. If you buy the farm, you'll never have to pay for it. In fact you don't have to worry about any bills at all.

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I'd suggest otherwise. If you buy the farm, you'll never have to pay for it. In fact you don't have to worry about any bills at all.
Actually, one's estate is responsible to pay the farm bills, though you won't have to worry about it, but if you do, you cannot voice your opinion on the matter.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The price increase on the Model Y this week got me to thinking…. How can the CT pricing that we all reserved not increase? The CT has many more options and is supposed to be priced nearly the same or even less in single or dual trims than the model Y costs today. If you were to take the current cost of a model 3 or Y and then add for the options of more battery, 4 wheel steering, shatter resistant windshield, pricier tires, air suspension, air compressor, AC power access, motorized bed cover, towing amenities, etc. how could the price possibly stay near what it is advertised? One example I can speak to is the motorized aluminum slat type bed cover. I have one on my F350 from a 3rd party of course, not Ford, and it costs me $3,700. I know the manufacturing process of both the truck and the battery will be more streamlined but can it save that much money? How can a dual motor CT have a window sticker thousands less than the cheapest model Y?
Because it’s bad PR to raise the price of a product that you had a huge reveal with a listed price. They will make 100,000 or so of them and sell them at a loss if needed then they will increase the price I think.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Does anyone think the price of the model Y will decrease when they start using the 4680 cells? I kind of want a model Y too. ?
Didn’t quite catch this, but I suspect what’s more likely at this point is they re-introduce the SR which would be less expensive.

With the 4680, they are likely to have the ranges updated. It’s likely the range of the SR and the LR will go up.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Didn’t quite catch this, but I suspect what’s more likely at this point is they re-introduce the SR which would be less expensive.

With the 4680, they are likely to have the ranges updated. It’s likely the range of the SR and the LR will go up.
The crazy thing will be that they will need smaller packs, because the 4680 structural pack weighs less, and they will still have a range increase too. If the 4680 structural packs come off, all things being equal otherwise, I'd still expect some type of price adjustment downwards, but only after they have reached peak demand.

Even though inflation etc pushes prices up, the primary cost in the battery is meant to push the prices down with the 4680. Will be interesting to see which one wins.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Normally, a truck can save money on production cost by having a reduced amount of safety standards compared to a car that has to carry passenger in the rear of the vehicle. That’s why pickup trucks are so highly marketed to the public.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Hahaha! As a winery and vineyard owner, that's hilarious. If you want to DO nothing with it, sure.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Hahaha! As a winery and vineyard owner, that's hilarious. If you want to DO nothing with it, sure.
It's based off of how insurance policies pay out on death. A common mortgage insurance is to make sure the house - or farm - is paid off for one's survivors.

So "bought the farm" means "died".

-Crissa

Steve In Texas

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer, Ford Transit
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The price increase on the Model Y this week got me to thinking…. How can the CT pricing that we all reserved not increase? The CT has many more options and is supposed to be priced nearly the same or even less in single or dual trims than the model Y costs today. If you were to take the current cost of a model 3 or Y and then add for the options of more battery, 4 wheel steering, shatter resistant windshield, pricier tires, air suspension, air compressor, AC power access, motorized bed cover, towing amenities, etc. how could the price possibly stay near what it is advertised? One example I can speak to is the motorized aluminum slat type bed cover. I have one on my F350 from a 3rd party of course, not Ford, and it costs me $3,700. I know the manufacturing process of both the truck and the battery will be more streamlined but can it save that much money? How can a dual motor CT have a window sticker thousands less than the cheapest model Y?
You bring up all valid points and I think you are right. I would guess that before any one actually receives their CT the price will have jumped at least 10K.

OP
OP
jhogan2424

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Normally, a truck can save money on production cost by having a reduced amount of safety standards compared to a car that has to carry passenger in the rear of the vehicle. That’s why pickup trucks are so highly marketed to the public.
I don’t get it. My car seats 4 but my truck seats 6.