Who's betting we'll see Cybertruck going out of Fremont this October?

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
This is exactly what they did with Model Y. See Sandy's Y teardown in which the casting was two pieces. It is now a single-piece casting.
https://insideevs.com/news/414685/sandy-munro-more-details-castings-splashes-teslaract/

It might be reasonable to suspect the CT could use two castings in place of one. What I could not possibly answer would be whether this would matter when it comes to the listed 3,500lb payload capacity or 14,000lb towing.
I would guess to say that it should not matter, its just a cost savings and speed of manufacturing savings.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Fremont isn't building the CT, so we won't see any.
Oh yeah, Tesla could break a pattern. So far most of their pre-production vehicles and their template for their automated lines were build and assembled manually in Fremont.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Fremont is where they do the manual assembly and use it as a template for their final robotics line (at least during my son's time with Tesla).
Seems to me the Cybertruck is going to use a lot of equipment they don't have in Fremont. Not just the Gigapress, but all the equipment to shape, flatten, and bend the stainless. Are they making or shaping the glass in-house? If so, that equipment too.

I think with the 4680 delays, it's likely they will just finish off the production line in Texas and run the first vehicles from there.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
For Fremont to produce Cybertrucks, it would need not only gigacastings, but stainless steel from Steel Dynamics, the new factory in Sinton, Texas that should be operational by September. One can hope...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They've built at least one Cybertruck without all that.

They don't need a gigapress to test the design of assembly. It's just a particular way of making a part.

If they're using particular equipment to make the truck, they'd be ordering and testing that equipment - especially as they head into Beta. They will have prototype lines set up, or at least parts of them.

It's not like they had a building in Austin for the last year and a half to do the work in! They knew it wouldn't be ready until the end.

I don't know if it's at Fremont, but they would definitely be testing this somewhere. It only takes a few truckloads of parts and rolls of metal.

-Crissa

Bren

First Name
Bren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Country flag
While we may see a few mules out of Fremont, I wouldn't expect any deliveries until at least Mid 2022 at this point. When we start seeing people invited to configure, then we can probably assume we're 6 months to a year away. It was 6 months between Model 3 first configuration and first delivery. Model Y was 1 year.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't know if it's at Fremont, but they would definitely be testing this somewhere. It only takes a few truckloads of parts and rolls of metal.
Why couldn't somewhere be the place where they will ultimately be building the truck?

If they were on an "End of Year 2021" timeframe, it would make sense to build the beta trucks (or whatever you want to call them) in Fremont or somewhere else because they'd need them to be done and rolling while the factory is still a giant mess. With the revised timeline, the factory is no longer necessarily a blocker, the 4680 is.

They can get the factory close enough and dial things in there while waiting for 4680 production issues to work out. Unless they have some other use for their soon to be completed factory.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why couldn't somewhere be the place where they will ultimately be building the truck?
Because they were supposedly doing things before the building was ready in the last year at the design studio near Los Angeles.

They might be using that upstairs space in the mostly-finished section at Austin now, but it's hard to know until rumors come out. Tesla employees tend to be pretty tight-lipped, all things considered.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A vehicle can be assembled at any factory plant. Just be sure to list if the factory also processes peanuts for sensitive people.

OP
OP

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation