Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
So what's with their website? I went to the configurator, made some changes but the delivery date never changed from January 2022. Is that when their backlog ends? From one of the photos it looks like there's a lineup of trucks.

Has anyone seen any NHTSA crash test information yet? I would think these are done before releasing any vehicle for sale. I checked https://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/database/VSR/veh/QueryVehicle.aspx and Rivian isn't even listed so unless they are given clearance to proceed, how do they legally sell any vehicles?

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 3.29.51 PM.png
My guess is they have around 45,000 orders. You can’t order launch edition so the probably will be producing a bunch of those first. But you can order Max pack for R1T (400 miles) and may be later for R1S. They are talking about producing one truck every 5 minutes. You do the math.
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Actually guys on Rivian forum have already found some misalignment and panel gap issues on the photos. However I still consider this a momentous occasion for anyone interested in any BEV truck. It is going to be good for all of us no matter what brand you are into. Even if you are not interested in trucks but like clean air, it is a good thing. Let the race begin.
"But look at the quality". Remember how hard the media pushed that one with Tesla. Now there mouths are all hanging open as they are speechless with Tesla's production. With Rivian it will be "But it can't make it over the mountain"

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I've been on enough trips where the 300 mile range on my Model Y has been frustrating
That does not sound good for me. I have been looking at 230 mile lightening. Granted we probably will be covered by my wife’s ICE (600 mile range) for long trips for another 10 years but if a 300 Tesla is not good enough for occasional trips, 230 Ford is likely to be a nightmare.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That does not sound good for me. I have been looking at 230 mile lightening. Granted we probably will be covered by my wife’s ICE (600 mile range) for long trips for another 10 years but if a 300 Tesla is not good enough for occasional trips, 230 Ford is likely to be a nightmare.
For perspective...

I add a big parachute to the back of my car in the form of 3 mountain bikes.

I like to camp and the Model Y is really good for car camping. Car camping uses a fair bit of power.

Last weekend I had a fantastic weekend trip to a retreat 60 miles from here. From there I drove (with a single bike) 20 miles to a trail on both Saturday and Sunday. Then I drove home with a bike on the back. While my wife drove moderately on the way out, I was doing 75-80 most of the way south with the bike dragging behind.

So 200 miles driving, 140 of it with a bike on the back, 60 of it at 75+ and much of it mountain driving. I ended the trip with 55 miles of range left. I could have detoured about 10 miles out of the way to a Supercharger or possibly could have begged a power cord at the retreat.

I do a lot of back country trips where there are no chargers en-route. If the charger network was a bit thicker along the smaller highways it would be a non-issue. For example in a couple weeks we're going 90 miles out along a windy mountain highway to Sisters, camping for 2 nights then returning. Not much chance we'll have enough juice and no Superchargers en-route, so we're likely going to end up sitting at a slow charger for 2 hours waiting for 50 more miles range or driving 20 miles into Bend for a top-off at some point.

All this rambling is my way of saying my usage is likely not typical and the 300 miles on my Model Y is likely fine for a lot of people. If I was mostly road tripping along a major highway and stayed in hotels, it would be a non-issue.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
The important thing to me here, is relative to Tesla. These are Rivian's first vehicles, unless you include Ford into their equation. The first runs will need tweaks and bug resolution, until they begin flowing smoothly. Good news for them, that should help their stock. My question would be, "Would you want one their first vehicles?" Not me - too many issues still being worked on.

Good luck to Rivian owners. We don't hate you, but we are jealous. haha

Kamin

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Health Physicist
Country flag
The more electric vehicles on the road the better. Plus I won't complain if someone here ahead of me in line buys something else although I doubt they will. My enthusiasm for the CT is the steel exoskeleton combined with the range of the tri motor. I ordered 3 days after the reveal in 2019 so I figure most of those ahead of me are still waiting on the CT.

Tesla4KShares

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, Y LR, CT
Occupation
FI but not Retired
Country flag
Actually guys on Rivian forum have already found some misalignment and panel gap issues on the photos. However I still consider this a momentous occasion for anyone interested in any BEV truck. It is going to be good for all of us no matter what brand you are into. Even if you are not interested in trucks but like clean air, it is a good thing. Let the race begin.
I couldn't agree more. Well said.

Tesla4KShares

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P, Y LR, CT
Occupation
FI but not Retired
Country flag
I've been on enough trips where the 300 mile range on my Model Y has been frustrating or I've just needed more battery for camp mode; I want that extra range. That is at least the justification I'm using to buy a $70k super-truck that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds. I don't have that kind of backdoor logic that works to unlock a $75k Rivian.
This is why I pre-ordered the Tri-Motor (500+ miles of range). With air-cond, towing, equipment, toys, it can eat up the battery pretty fast. Good luck with just 300 miles of range. I need more.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Let the Rivian FUD begin......
Can't speak for everyone, but I think most of us either like the Rivian or are neutral on it.

It has some issues, we poke fun, most of us still prefer the Cybertruck, but very few actual Rivian haters here.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Today I learned that CCS is short for Combined Charge System and can support up to 200amps. Rivian uses this type.

Rivian is also in trouble...with autocorrect on Swype keyboard. So far Rivian has been autocorrected to the following: rubbish, trivial, Tiguan, Digital, richen, trivia's, and ricotta's.

I wish them well, let's hope they aren't "rubbish".
Sponsored