A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I can't say much mostly because I don't know much. What I can tell you is this week I was on conference and spoke with someone "in the know" who assured me that the RWD Variant will be 2 motor, one on each wheel.
I'm in the know and I have some real estate opportunities I'd like to discuss. Give me a call.
Sponsored

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
When Elon recently said there is more about the CT that people dont know yet, this is definitely one of those things that could be a part of his making that comment. Add in the fact that Tesla has gotten quite good at under-promising and over delivering (there are entire articles out abut this), and you've got a recipe for some great surprises leading up to the launch.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
When Elon recently said there is more about the CT that people dont know yet, this is definitely one of those things that could be a part of his making that comment.
Why do they call it "common sense". It's rare as hen's teeth.

Add in the fact that Tesla has gotten quite good at under-promising and over delivering (there are entire articles out abut this), and you've got a recipe for some great surprises leading up to the launch.
Er, which Tesla is the one that under promises and over delivers?

Full Self-Driving Capability

• Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
This is exactly what it said a year ago. None of those things really work reliably. The coming later this year stuff was coming later last year too.

Last edited:

dvorpa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have a hard time understanding this. So the AWD dual motor will have a single motor in the rr and a single in the front? Why would you put a different drive train in the rr of the dual then the rwd? Why would the AWD be 10k more with the same amount of motors? Makes no sense to me. Of course I am the same guy that want to buy a Hammerhead Eagle i Thrust
Coolbreeze704... I was thinking the same thing..... why would you have dual motor in the rear of the RWD version and only a single motor in the rear on the AWD version?? BTW.... I would think a 2 motor RWD is probably still cheaper to mfg compared to a single motor front and rear... so I definitely can see the 10K cost difference.... Also... I'm sure Tesla would like to see a bit more profit margin on the higher end vehicles.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Why do they call it "common sense". It's rare as hen's teeth.

Er, which Tesla is the one that under promises and over delivers?

Full Self-Driving Capability

• Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
This is exactly what it said a year ago. None of those things really work reliably. The coming later this year stuff was coming later last year too.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-elon-musk-art-of-underpromising/

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'd suggest that you go back and read the article carefully. It does express the hope that Tesla has learned from its mistakes of the past and I hope so too. But I'll be very (pleasantly) surprised if I have automatic driving on city streets a year from now. I didn't get it at the end of last year. Also understand Telserati's orientation. Don't get me wrong. I read their stuff religiously but I know their bias.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I'd suggest that you go back and read the article carefully. It does express the hope that Tesla has learned from its mistakes of the past and I hope so too. But I'll be very (pleasantly) surprised if I have automatic driving on city streets a year from now. I didn't get it at the end of last year. Also understand Telserati's orientation. Don't get me wrong. I read their stuff religiously but I know their bias.
They beat their targeted launch by roughly 6 months and they are delivering higher mileage than advertised. I would consider both of those over-delivering...

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Lets C what will be divulged

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
2021 Rivian R1T Engine
The 2021 RT1 uses a sophisticated all-electric powertrain that includes four separate motors, one at each wheel.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I do see how Tesla may put 2 motors in the back. If the tri motor is 2 motors back and 1 motor front, then you eliminate the difference in build complexity for the rear wheel only. However then it is hard to see how a dual and tri motor differ.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
They beat their targeted launch by roughly 6 months and they are delivering higher mileage than advertised. I would consider both of those over-delivering...
As you like but if you order the truck that is listed as "single motor" expecting to crawl under there on delivery day and find a second one you are going to be disappointed. If you shell out $7K for FSD and expect to get full self driving you are going to be disappointed. People with more reasonable expectations are not going to be disappointed.