Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I think Elon said on a joe rogan podcast that it is definitely not going to be 150 kWh battery pack. It’ll be smaller then that. I could be wrong ? anybody else remember this?
I remember this, during that podcast though he only seemed to refer to the dual motor CT
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Quite believable for the dual.
I really wonder if the Dual will be a better off-roader than the Tri, because of much less weight. It will have more power than any current mix use vehicle, with the instant torque of electric. Plus it shouldn't be overly heavy according to Elons comments. The Rivian would be quite a bit heavier, but would have a slight advantage in shorter wheelbase.
Watching Sandy Munro drive the Jeep PLEV makes me see tons of advantages to having an EV off-road.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I really wonder if the Dual will be a better off-roader than the Tri, because of much less weight. It will have more power than any current mix use vehicle, with the instant torque of electric. Plus it shouldn't be overly heavy according to Elons comments. The Rivian would be quite a bit heavier, but would have a slight advantage in shorter wheelbase.
Watching Sandy Munro drive the Jeep PLEV makes me see tons of advantages to having an EV off-road.
SWB==short legged(i.e.< 111”) offroad vehicles exhibit headtoss, bounce and can’t bridge as well as LWB(i.e. can’t jump). Gain of function from SWB are a tighter turning radius, better breakover angle and lighter weight gets stuck less, accelerates quicker and handles perceptually better.

LWB(i.e.125”+) On pavé afford Limo ride qualities, bounce attenuation and headtoss noticeably more comfortable. Offroad breakover angle suffers; eliminating Jeep-serious rockcrawling. But for Cybertruck Colorado Rockies, Anza-Borego, Baja, Moab and Sedona are totally doable-Rubicon not recommended.

Dual .v. Tri version Cybertruck? Nobody knows yet. Sometimes extra power at the wheel simply gets a vehicle deeper in trouble, quicker. Lower power(i.e. torque) can more smoothly deliver traction to ground which is what you want in sand, snow, rock and loose”stuff”(i.e.gravel, dirt and flooded bottomlands. This would all favor Dual. But 800 ft/ lbs is still alot of torque, seriously.

Tri Cybertruck‘s monster 1000 ft/lbs torque can thrash through heavy mud, climb like a banshee and pull stumps out of the ground. Its a certifiable racecar performance class truck. Tires will be an addictive cost of ownership. Torque is more addictive than your <FAV> so something will have to give.

Tri is heavier. Tri expect will be the Limo - Dual the SUV ride. Both capable AWD’s. Dual owners will be thrilled - Tri owners bag bragging rights; Happy/Happy win/win

There will be trade ups for necessity and range considerations. Few will be the trade downs to Dual from the Tri owner who guessed wrong buying the top of the line halo Cybertruck.

This BEV Cybertruck is pinnacle game changing vehicle of a lifetime. Right now in the sliver of time between announce and delivery “other” electrics can lay claims - after its production deliveries there will be no others. None that can claim performance, efficiency, value and satisfaction from Tesla’s Cybertruck.

Tesla stock splits will be double digit before Cybertruck gains a competitor.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
You meant to say 150 KwH. In the early days of the Model S/X one could charge at a higher amperage than the current maximum of 48 amps. The Tesla chargers can be configured to other amperages but the car has to be able to handle it. Also, some say that the 4680 cells might be able charge faster. These two things might allow a 150 KwH battery pack to charge faster w/o changing the charger...but we will see.
I can see why faster charging is nice when needed but most people aren’t traveling hundreds of miles every day. It’s proven that slower charging prolongs battery life, right? I can see that if you are in a pinch or on a road trip you don’t want to sit around for 10 hours but typically charging overnight at 48 amps seems way more than sufficient

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It’s proven that slower charging prolongs battery life, right?
No, it's not.

Charging faster can cause more heat, and it's the heat that causes the damage, but any charging causes heat. And Tesla limits charging by cell temperature and has active pack management.

So there's no pattern that finds slower charging - at least what we can control - as creating longer battery life.

-Crissa

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It’s proven that slower charging prolongs battery life, right?
This is something that you can't really prove as you can't practically test it but statistics seem to suggest that "charge low, charge slow" will prolong battery life. This is why Telsa limits charge rate (both at SC and regen) when the battery is cold and I suspect it may have something to do with the Gen 3 HPWC being limited to 48A.

.. typically charging overnight at 48 amps seems way more than sufficient..
It is way more than sufficient so I don't charge that fast at home more typically at 30A. Why not? Can I tell you how much longer my battery will last than yours? No, I cannot.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No, there are no such statistics.

-Crissa
I think this is ported over from cell phones where some makers would allow high speed chargers that would cook the battery.

I think thermal management on the Tesla prevents these issues.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think this is ported over from cell phones where some makers would allow high speed chargers that would cook the battery.

I think thermal management on the Tesla prevents these issues.
Yeah, there's evidence that cooking the battery is bad! And the more miles, the more recharges, the more you've aged the battery.

And there was faster aging of the Leaf batteries. But they didn't have active thermal management.

But for the same miles, there's no evidence DC fast charging active thermally managed batteries is worse. The amount of time a faster-charged battery spends at the elevated temperature is less! And often they spend more time in the goldilocks zone because they're not charged to full as often.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Yeah, there's evidence that cooking the battery is bad! And the more miles, the more recharges, the more you've aged the battery.

And there was faster aging of the Leaf batteries. But they didn't have active thermal management.

But for the same miles, there's no evidence DC fast charging active thermally managed batteries is worse. The amount of time a faster-charged battery spends at the elevated temperature is less! And often they spend more time in the goldilocks zone because they're not charged to full as often.

-Crissa
The Limiting Factor highlighted the 4680 design changes that were made to improve the ability of the cell to recharge faster, more efficiently without the build up within the cell that degrades overall performance over time.

Begging off the technical and chemistry details, that was my high level takeaway. The Limiting Factor needs to return once Tesla simplify chemistries and batteries to do a comparison chart. Buyers will need to grok tradeoffs buying down and spending up.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Limiting Factor highlighted the 4680 design changes that were made to improve the ability of the cell to recharge faster, more efficiently without the build up within the cell that degrades overall performance over time.

Begging off the technical and chemistry details, that was my high level takeaway. The Limiting Factor needs to return once Tesla simplify chemistries and batteries to do a comparison chart. Buyers will need to grok tradeoffs buying down and spending up.
Then you'll like his next video. He says he'd take an LFP 2170 pack over the current NCA packs.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If I lived further south, I would happily take an iron pack... but I live where it gets cold.

And I know that Tesla thermally manages the pack, so I would not see the dramatic shift in range like I do on the Leaf... but still, Just gets too cold here and I have driven up into Canada in the winter...

I am hoping the Dual will be the happy medium between crazy performance of the Tri and economy of the Single motor.

Fingers crossed...

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If the Cybertruck can take more than 48A while charging on Level 2 then I'm sure Tesla will offer an updated Wall Connector to match. Otherwise people will have to buy Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connectors that can output up to 80A (or a non-Tesla EVSE that can output more than 48A). There aren't enough Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connectors to go around, and Tesla isn't making them anymore.
yep....kept my gen 2 because we can change the amperage with the dial inside the cover.....have Nema 14-50 plug and Gen 2...I think we would be ok but I too am curious about a new charger that is just better than the wireless Gen 3
Sponsored