If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I have seen Rivian production line.
Rivian are 10-20 years before any production line. These prototype one of a kind pushed out the door trucks are just that.
First Rivian truck caught fire and burned to the ground.
The 4 that have been released are one of a kind $1 Million cost proto types.
PR
The first to release is a PR sale of one of a kind $1 Million cost trucks. Same with that tank turn Rivian can not do a tank turn. That tank turn took weeks to do and had a custom program which is not for public use and never will be available.
I'm thinking there's some confusion here. The Lordstown was the first prototype that burnt to the ground, and in the video posted earlier, there is a shot of 8 Rivians on top of that mountain. Also, here's a good article about that PR day in Colorado. It mentioned at the end " 2022 Rivian R1T and its $76,000 price, as tested". I was wondering about that.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133704_review-rivian-r1t-photos-price-review-specs-info
Sponsored

DallasEd

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV Ninja
Occupation
Structure Engineer Boeing
Country flag
Well
There is one good thing.
That there was a curb and bushes and a parking lot full of trucks and cars to stop that out of control $1 Million Rivian truck.
Thank God for Full Parking Lots.

Tesla Cybertruck If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go. Rivian

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm thinking there's some confusion here. The Lordstown was the first prototype that burnt to the ground, and in the video posted earlier, there is a shot of 8 Rivians on top of that mountain. Also, here's a good article about that PR day in Colorado. It mentioned at the end " 2022 Rivian R1T and its $76,000 price, as tested". I was wondering about that.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133704_review-rivian-r1t-photos-price-review-specs-info
There were 8 Rivian's on that top of that mountain.

But I think that was something like 8 out of 10 total. They still aren't delivering more than just the one.

Apparently there were a lot of minor issues with things like windows failing to go up/ down, most of the bed covers didn't work, highway assist was nearly useless... all of which was explained away as "These are preproduction vehicles, the actual customer vehicles won't have these issues". Which would be a fine excuse except they claimed to have started customer deliveries and manufacturing 2 weeks ago.

I'm not as cynical as DallasEd, but he was right that they are million dollar prototypes. Rivian is doing a lot of smoke and mirrors stuff to make it seem like they are producing cars when they are pretty clearly still in beta and not even producing dozens of cars a week, let alone hundreds per week for customers.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I have seen Rivian production line.
Rivian are 10-20 years before any production line.
To be able to see 10-20 years into the future: that's a real gift!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Another review of the Rivian: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022-rivian-r1t-electric-truck-first-drive-review/

Their off-road package includes front tow hooks. The review is pretty detailed, but the test driver didn't sound at all enthusiastic about changing how he drove to adapt to the Rivian.

-Crissa
All these videos of the Rivian driving offroad excite me about using my Dual CT offroad. I think the Dual CT will weigh less than the Rivian and be just as capable if not more than the Rivian.
As a former Sheet Metal Worker, the underside of the Rivian was alarming to me. All those screw heads are just waiting to make contact with a rock. They should be countersunk, so they would be flush!
Tesla Cybertruck If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go. rivianbottom

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Poking my head into the Rivian forums I was a little surprised at something.

The estimates they have over there suggest Rivian's sales numbers are in the low-mid 20k range. That's both the truck and the SUV together. That is consistent with what the CEO of Rivian said "We have 10s of thousands of pre-orders".

There are also hints that they are going to have most of those trucks delivered by Spring of next year.

Good chance if you put your hat in the Rivian ring, you'll be in a truck by summer.
Has anyone been hearing about actual Rivians actually getting delivered to actual customers yet? I’ve heard they are in production. I’ve seen multiple stories of journalists getting to drive them. But I have yet to see a single actual customer with a Rivian in their driveway. No videos showing off their new delivery. No “unboxing” videos.

Seems like a fake production situation. When are they going to get into customer hands? At this rate, the first CTs might be out sooner.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Rumor mill says Rivian will only manufacture 1-2k R1T trucks by December 31st. All of the first production trucks are going to investors, employees and those who are well aligned with Rivian corporate and got in the early pre-order list.

The general public who ordered a R1T with a $1k deposit won’t be seeing their trucks until sometime in 2022. Their Amazon delivery vans are Rivian’s top production priority at the moment.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Has anyone been hearing about actual Rivians actually getting delivered to actual customers yet? I’ve heard they are in production. I’ve seen multiple stories of journalists getting to drive them. But I have yet to see a single actual customer with a Rivian in their driveway. No videos showing off their new delivery. No “unboxing” videos.

Seems like a fake production situation. When are they going to get into customer hands? At this rate, the first CTs might be out sooner.
From what I’ve seen, they got the one symbolic truck out the door, did a big press event to drum up media and increase pre-orders prior to the IPO and went stealth.

It’s rather underwhelming to be honest. I’d be pretty irritated if I were a Rivian buyer. I know Tesla has struggled with getting things out the door, but never this sort of smoke and mirrors deal.

Not nearly Nikola bad, but definitely a little shifty In my book.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
From what I’ve seen, they got the one symbolic truck out the door, did a big press event to drum up media and increase pre-orders prior to the IPO and went stealth.
My guess is that they are burning cash at an alarming rate and needed to sell some stock to refill the coffers.
I wish them all the luck in the world but without the software, the practical knowledge in ramping up production an a big network of chargers they are still way behind the eight ball.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I guess I’m not the only one who think’s Rivian’s push to IPO when they haven’t actually demonstrated any manufacturing capacity is a little odd.

Tesla Cybertruck If you want an BEV truck quickly, Rivian is the way to go. 1634340898704

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I guess I’m not the only one who think’s Rivian’s push to IPO when they haven’t actually demonstrated any manufacturing capacity is a little odd.
As I said before, they had to set this in motion months ago. While they're taking advantage of the moving actual date, it only can move so far.

They would've not even known their June delays would have happened when they set it in motion.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As I said before, they had to set this in motion months ago. While they're taking advantage of the moving actual date, it only can move so far.

They would've not even known their June delays would have happened when they set it in motion.

-Crissa
Tesla‘s Roadster was delayed for years, but they still didn’t IPO until well after they had them in production.

It is certainly well within their rights to IPO whenever they want, but they are seeking a very rich valuation and they haven’t proven they are capable of delivering. Particularly since this is a much more established market. They aren’t trying to bodge together a car using a big pile of laptop batteries. Batteries don’t cost $1000/ kWh. We *know* people will buy EVs. Manufacturing is a pretty vital part of what they are selling here but they haven’t done it.

They want to be valued at 1/10th of what Tesla is valued at. That’s an absolutely huge valuation for a startup.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

OK. So apparently some Rivians (at least 1 of them) are now getting delivered.

Interestingly, it seems the first Rivian truck went to the company CEO:
First Production Rivian R1T Rolls Off Assembly Line (insideevs.com)

I wonder if Elon will get the very first production model CT. He already drives the prototype.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
OK. So apparently some Rivians (at least 1 of them) are now getting delivered.

Interestingly, it seems the first Rivian truck went to the company CEO:
First Production Rivian R1T Rolls Off Assembly Line (insideevs.com)

I wonder if Elon will get the very first production model CT. He already drives the prototype.
Apparently they are flying off the assembly line at a rate of 1/ day.

https://techstory.in/rivian-production-rate-stalls-with-one-electric-vehicle-per-day/

And they are already talking about adding the R1S to the mix. Seems like a really sketchy idea to add a second product to their process before they have the first one coming out the door in volume.

Forgive my cynicism. I just think they put they are a bit hyper focused on high profile goals to push their IPO and media covered when they should be delivering those trucks.

The top post in this thread hasn’t aged well.
Sponsored