Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The last question taken from retail investors was regarding the Cybertruck. This was the question:

Question
Elon said we’d get an update on CyberTruck in November a year ago, but it hasn’t happened and we know there are lots of updates. When will you show off the new-and-improved CyberTruck?

Answer (summary version)
We are testing and you have seen alpha versions on social media showing things like 4 wheel steering. We are testing, refining, further maturing the design but the overall design is largely the same. He said there are a lot of smaller & less visible improvements. He said the are in the "Beta Phase" and look to launch late next year.

I felt they could have done more with the answer, but obviously did not have the permission to speak further on the topic (Elon Musk was not on the call). He opened by saying, "We get a lot of questions about the Cybertruck". My thought is, maybe you should answer them formally through a proper update. There has been no real update from Tesla since November 2019.

Question
Is the supply of the steel for the eco skeleton available to meet the production goals/ramp up?

Answer (summary version)
We got the steel we need and have contracts in place from various suppliers.

You can listen to the Q&A on the Cybertruck here:

Tesla Cybertruck Earnings Call - Cybertruck Q&A: Tesla Confirms and Discusses Latest Sighted Alpha Prototypes Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 1.51.17 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Title is goofy, text is correct. Elon was not on this call at all.

The comments are roughly what I recall, but they were not said by Elon.

OP
OP
Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Title is goofy, text is correct. Elon was not on this call at all.

The comments are roughly what I recall, but they were not said by Elon.
Someone edited my title. Not sure why, as I noted in my post Elon Musk was not present for the Q3 Earnings Call. I updated the title and replaced Elon with Tesla.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Thanks for the audio. So it seems this new sighting is a Beta indeed……
They said it's an alpha.

But they could be building the betas now. The alphas don't disappear when that happens, you know.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Someone edited my title. Not sure why, as I noted in my post Elon Musk was not present for the Q3 Earnings Call. I updated the title and replaced Elon with Tesla.
I thought it was a bit odd since the text below was more or less what I recalled and noted that Elon was not on the call.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
They said it's an alpha.

But they could be building the betas now. The alphas don't disappear when that happens, you know.

-Crissa
Yeah exactly, they said we have seen alphas on SM. But they are building beta's.
This makes sense with the timeline of production EOY 2022

Macgreiner

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3 (sold), S70D(sold), R1200RT, LR3, P3D
Country flag
So 3 inches shorter or not? Depends where you look - you get different answers.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Elon said the CT design was final a long time ago. I guess he changed his mind. Not a problem but we on the interwebs have been waiting a long time!

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Elon said the CT design was final a long time ago. I guess he changed his mind. Not a problem but we on the interwebs have been waiting a long time!
He talks out of his ass all the time. And honestly, he’s not omnipresent. Tesla’s a big company, SpaceX is too. He doesn’t know everything that’s going on.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Designs are just bits on the computer. They have to build the thing, figure out real world issues with that design are, then fix those issues.

That is where we are. This new truck is the design made into reality. They are testing it on the road, tweaking the software, seeing issues their CAD models didn’t take into account, and fixing them.

Every thing complex goes through iterations.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Yeah I was wondering about this also. My guess, the basic design is finished. Now they are just testing that design and making changes as necessary.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Designs are just bits on the computer. They have to build the thing, figure out real world issues with that design are, then fix those issues.

That is where we are. This new truck is the design made into reality. They are testing it on the road, tweaking the software, seeing issues their CAD models didn’t take into account, and fixing them.

Every thing complex goes through iterations.
Yeah I was wondering about this also. My guess, the basic design is finished. Now they are just testing that design and making changes as necessary.
Yeah, that makes sense. I assumed they were past that already. I forget the exact quote from Elon, but it sounded to me like they were past iteration and preparing for production. In any case, we have been given a timeframe of 'production by end of 2022' so lets hope they can deliver on time!
Sponsored