Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I suspected his conclusion before even watching it. His disdain for the Cybertruck’s esthetics was never a secret. Go in peace, Ben. Ta-ta! (One less Average Ben out of my way to Cybertruck ownership.)

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Elon: We figured out a way to simplify construction on both the body and even on instrument panels, thus saving component and manufacturing costs, and allowing almost everything to upgraded with a software push.

Ben: Me like lots of buttons. BUTTONS!

I normally have a lot of respect for Bens analysis, but he's really missing the big picture here. Needs to take his own advice and "Free the data, and your mind will follow"

Tell me Ben, where does it define a "REAL truck" as having to look like all the others of the past 50 years? Form follows function my friend.

But go ahead and pay more for less specs, because it's a REAL truck. REAL REAL REAL

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Listening to him, he sounds knowledgeable. Yet, it comes down to aesthetics not performance. Honestly, I do not want a pretty pony. I want a stout horse or mule. I didn't get any new information from this. He repeats that he doesn't use or need a truck, yet he asserts that he knows what "truck guys" want? This truck guy wants capability not pretty. When I am hauling tons of material for a job, I don't want to HAVE to bring a trailer. When I am hauling a load from or to somewhere remote I would prefer to be able to get out of the cab not feeling like I got beat up from the suspension so I can get to work. When I am hauling aggregate and cement, I would appreciate a body that doesn't get destroyed from the thousands of abrasions and caustic materials. The phrase "All hat and no cattle" is appropriate for this video.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
It was an okay write-up. I was hoping he would focus more on his actual experiences with all 3 rather than listing off the spec sheet.

As I've said here before, I 100% agree with him on CTs interior and the need for more screens. The prototype wasn't feature-complete at reveal so we'll see what happens.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I couldn’t watch the whole thing. Not a big video guy myself but when he started repeating the nonsense that Ford’s gets bonus miles on their range and the Cybertruck 500 mile range is suspect I had to shut it down.

Fundamentally he’s a YouTube guy and the YouTube crowd likes to try and please everyone so they can keep their access.

If he wasn’t going to give the Cybertruck any credit for crushing the competition on range then he should have compared the dual motor AWD and given them props for crushing them on value. You’ve got to pick one or the other.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I find it odd that there is no mention of bed sizes in his video though he did admit that he is not a truck guy. Rivian @ 4.58' foot, Ford 5.5' and the CT at 6.5'. IMO, in order to be truly a utilitarian truck, it needs to be able to load in a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, drywall, etc and only the CT can pull that off (with the tail gate down admittedly). Now legally they all can do it with overhang but I think that sort of takes it out of the utilitarian class. I believe rear overhang up to 4' is allowed.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I find it odd that there is no mention of bed sizes in his video though he did admit that he is not a truck guy. Rivian @ 4.58' foot, Ford 5.5' and the CT at 6.5'. IMO, in order to be truly a utilitarian truck, it needs to be able to load in a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, drywall, etc and only the CT can pull that off (with the tail gate down admittedly). Now legally they all can do it with overhang but I think that sort of takes it out of the utilitarian class. I believe rear overhang up to 4' is allowed.
He really only looked at the most surface things and “tent pole” features which were previously in advertising.

How the interior is styled is more important than it’s ability to haul lumber or usefulness on a camping trip.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Ben Sullins has also always been for the Big-Auto Dealership associations and media advertising fats in a business model. Yes, he has owned Teslas but still doesn't 'get' the essence of what brings the quality and innovation of a Tesla to Us - which is leaving out all the irrelevant processes to focus on the substance of the car and mission. Elon has said multiple times 'what did you un-design?' if one can delete something to make it simpler accomplishing the same thing, that's a win for both design and production. Ben Sullins does not (seem to) think this way.

I remember one of his earlier videos right after he got his first Model 3 (named 'Tez'). The first thing he did was take to CarMax for an 'appraisal', which was a stupid thing to do already knowing any car dealer's take. He wanted to promote the notion of car dealers getting into the mix, and even said he knew a lot of 'good' car dealers when replying to comments in that video.

Now Ben has facilitated a lot of Tesla sales but that was when the Tesla referral program was active. Yet these referral sales were just like Ben being a 'virtual' car dealer himself, which made him money/prizes or whatever. I'm not critical of him for that at all, as many have done the same. What I don't get is that he doesn't seem to appreciate the efficiency and elegance of it, compared to the expense and corrupt messy structures of big auto dealer associations/commercial properties and all the overhead weight those bring to any company. I have not seen Ben Sullins promote the lean efficient business model, but to be fair I haven't watched every single one of his videos either.

Of course now Tesla doesn't even need the referral program (let alone any 'car dealers' or advertising), because Tesla's are prominently selling themselves.

I think Ben Sullins doesn't like the Cybertruck because it is against the grain and doesn't bode well for the 'establishment' entities. Tesla promotes simpler elegant minimalistic designs and processes, which is something I think Ben (or the big auto establishment) does not embrace.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Now Ben has facilitated a lot of Tesla sales but that was when the Tesla referral program was active. Yet these referral sales were just like Ben being a 'virtual' car dealer himself, which made him money/prizes or whatever. I'm not critical of him for that at all, as many have done the same.
Very important to remember where these YouTube celebrities bread is buttered. There isn’t a ton of money in being truly objective. You have to be just objective enough to retain enough credibility to get your bread buttered.

I think Ben Sullins doesn't like the Cybertruck because it is against the grain and doesn't bode well for the 'establishment' entities. Tesla promotes simpler elegant minimalistic designs and processes, which is something I think Ben (or the big auto establishment) does not embrace.
I can appreciate that someone doesn’t like the Cybertruck style or deign ethos. I can even understand someone saying “I would’t be a caught dead in one of those”.

What I don’t appreciate is that that seems to be the only angle he has. He hand waves fairly massive functional differences and boils preference to which truck you should buy based primarily on aesthetics.

If you are judging trucks based purely on aesthetics, then you’ve already lost my interest.