TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I’m curious what the latest thoughts/intel is on quad replacing trimotor?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Since Tesla uses a blended motor output, it's not likely any time soon. There's not much advantage to putting the Plaid rear motor in the front.

Rivian uses one motor per wheel, so there's independent positive traction control.

-Crissa

See? I have been answering questions almost every day for 16 months and that adds up to a post count.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Since Tesla uses a blended motor output, it's not likely any time soon. There's not much advantage to putting the Plaid rear motor in the front.

Rivian uses one motor per wheel, so there's independent positive traction control.

-Crissa

See? I have been answering questions almost every day for 16 months and that adds up to a post count.
I kind of think the CT is going to chew through tires. I would almost prefer more power to the rear wheels since those fronts will probably wear faster and I hate rotating tires.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I kind of think the CT is going to chew through tires. I would almost prefer more power to the rear wheels since those fronts will probably wear faster and I hate rotating tires.
The tires you always see the CT on last for at least 60k miles. And, large tires HAVE to be rotated every 5k or they'll cup and go out of round causing a terrible ride. More power to the rear makes you plow which is terrible for tire wear.

Sorry. No way around tire rotation with large all-terrain/ off-road tires. But if you care for them they'll last a very long time.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Why?

Tesla 3 motor? Its more torque than mere mortals ever, who owned an ICE motor. The RWD CT will pull like crazy with just one EV motor, more low end torque than any production ICE pickup.

Axial flux were it a real production motor might have advantages but more motors is more expensive. Were axial flux weight saving, efficient and as powerful as PEM motors then quad, maybe. But complexity compounds going to quad motors.

TESLA doesn’t get any simpler than its open differential power trains. Simple is reliable. Racing is the only use case where complications, money and common sense are no object in the pursuit of the thinnest margins. Its where 4X things that can go wrong is a real advantage when money matters is NBD.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don't see any upside for Tesla on this idea. They have 3 trims to choose from, with different power and control envelopes. They may offer some wheel size options as they have for other vehicles.

myrickma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
Don't see a point using 4 on anything except Semi and maybe Roadster. Quad Rivian have less performance than Tri CT. 4 motors is required for Tank Turns I assume which is a gimmick they haven't actually been able to achieve yet (if ever)

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
One theory I have that I hope happens, but I do not expect will happen is they drop the single motor and offer a dual motor, a tri motor and a quad motor. I don't want the quad motor for better acceleration. I just like the idea of the vehicle having independent control of each wheel. I think this idea might make manufacturing the truck less expensive. That is based on the assumption that the front casting and rear casting can now (because of the news of four wheel steering) be interchangeable. With the prototype there are 4 different castings.

Front Casting with no motor.
Front Casting with 1 motor.
Rear casting with 1 motor.
Rear casting with 2 motors.

IF (I know big IF) with the four wheel steering option they can make front and rear castings interchangeable, they would need only two castings.

Front/Rear casting with one motor.
Front/Rear casting with two motors.

I realize it's unlikely and is based on some pretty big "ifs". But if someone suggested a year and a half ago that they hoped the truck would have 4 wheel steering I'm sure we all would have laughed and jumped all over that person for suggesting such a dumb idea.

Oh, and since my hopes are fairly unrealistic anyway, I might as well hope the price points of the original lineup are used on the new lineup. $40k - Dual, $50k - Tri, $70k for the quad.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well... You never know...
The progress is unstoppable.
The fifth motor could turn a truck on a dime as a carousel and follow the sun for recharging
:unsure:
No more reversing in or out of the drive.

myrickma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
One theory I have that I hope happens, but I do not expect will happen is they drop the single motor and offer a dual motor, a tri motor and a quad motor. I don't want the quad motor for better acceleration. I just like the idea of the vehicle having independent control of each wheel. I think this idea might make manufacturing the truck less expensive. That is based on the assumption that the front casting and rear casting can now (because of the news of four wheel steering) be interchangeable. With the prototype there are 4 different castings.

Front Casting with no motor.
Front Casting with 1 motor.
Rear casting with 1 motor.
Rear casting with 2 motors.

IF (I know big IF) with the four wheel steering option they can make front and rear castings interchangeable, they would need only two castings.

Front/Rear casting with one motor.
Front/Rear casting with two motors.

I realize it's unlikely and is based on some pretty big "ifs". But if someone suggested a year and a half ago that they hoped the truck would have 4 wheel steering I'm sure we all would have laughed and jumped all over that person for suggesting such a dumb idea.

Oh, and since my hopes are fairly unrealistic anyway, I might as well hope the price points of the original lineup are used on the new lineup. $40k - Dual, $50k - Tri, $70k for the quad.
if anything they'll drop single motor and just do 2 and 3. adding 4 would require the creation of a new mold I assume, and the demand for 4 is unlikely to be high.

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
All I know is Elon tweeted a while back that there would be a Plaid Cybertruck and it would be more than just a tri-motor. But it's only speculation whether he is talking about the number of motors or just other features or both.
I would like a quad motor at some point not for acceleration or power but for off-road, it would out preform twin locked set ups.
I feel like the Plaids are meant to be the best possible car no matter what for each category. A kind of "Why the F*** Not" thought process to their existence.
Model S Plaid craziest fastest Sedan imaginable .
Model X craziest cross over SUV possible.
Roadster Craziest Super car ever.
Plaid Cybertruck most powerful, crazy range, crazy off-road capable truck possible.

With the Plaids being $130k+, I think there's plenty of room in the budget for an extra motor and a bigger battery when you've got $50k extra on the price tag.

Just my thoughts though.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.