Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This also means the dual motor variant will be the last to enter production now instead of the single motor. Which means my 1/2025 estimated delivery just went to 2026 or more!
You're getting ahead of yourself. Have you seen the ramping data from Shangai, Berlin, etc? Cybertruck is an entirely different (and far simpler) EV beast. We think we understand the delivery metrics but many aspects unknown to us are not in those predictions.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Now it'll be delayed further just to be jammed with stuff others have... then priced just like they are. Man, that seems to undermine the whole thing a bit.
I don’t think this necessarily follows. I suspect the quad will be more expensive by quite a bit, but hard to say where pricing on the rest ends up.

Totally agree with you on the value side of this though, very much questioning a bunch here myself.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Going from Alpha to Beta stage…

Replying to
@teslaownersSV
and
@WholeMarsBlog
It releases internally today, then rolls out to external beta in a few days if no significant issues are found

Dave Lyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
It is more like “more”. Elon wants CT to be the best when it comes out. As long as other manufacturers come out with something better, CT will get redesigned and delayed. Rear wheel steering from Hummer, Quad from Rivian, Lucid was just first over 500 miles so getting that in a big truck may take a while, CT is a moving target.

I'm thinking they can't make enough batteries to build the truck yet, so why not mess with the design until they can. The new design doesn't actually delay deliveries at this point because of the battery shortage.
It keeps people talking and Tesla at the front of people's minds with very little actual cost compared to a huge marketing budget.

Dave Lyon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Occupation
entrepreneur
Country flag
Now, if we can get them to beef up the suspension so I can tow 18k lbs, and the battery so I can get 250 miles of range while doing so, and keep it under $100k, I might not cancel my order.

I know, there's a lot of "ifs" in there, but a guy can dream. :)

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Btw, dropping the single motor seems to be dropping the lowest price target from availability they were marketing the cyber truck as. So that also contradicts everyone's certainty that prices wouldn't rise.
Cybertruck just elevated to Rich Man’s toy.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I don’t think this necessarily follows. I suspect the quad will be more expensive by quite a bit, but hard to say where pricing on the rest ends up.

Totally agree with you on the value side of this though, very much questioning a bunch here myself.
I'll won't go poking out my boo-boo lip just yet but...

I think my biggest worry is diminishing return.
For them to give it quad motors and crab-walk/4-wheel steering, and then up-price it $30-40k; within 10% of the Hummer.
Mmmm.... I dunno if that's the move.

Tesla Cybertruck ? Quad Motor Cybertruck and Crab Walk (Independent Front & Rear Wheel Steering) Confirmed!! red-cup-meme-pout

But, agreed...we don't know the price so we'll see how this plays out.
2022 is gonna be crazy.

Faffle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul ev
Country flag
This also means the dual motor variant will be the last to enter production now instead of the single motor. Which means my 1/2025 estimated delivery just went to 2026 or more!
The specs and price of the ct keep going up but at about the same rate as the stock price. I'm taking a "let tsla decide which truck i can afford" tactic. So far i've worked my way from single motor to tri motor so my fingers are crossed but I'm going to have a hard time justifying a 100k vehicle to myself.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I love that we got 4 wheel steering. And in a previous discussion we talked about the possibility of beating out Rivian tank turn using 4 wheel steering.

Basically CT will be able to do the same kind of turn as Rivian but without skreetching the tires, on pavement, on slopes, in the mud.

In order to save manufacturing costs, all levels of CT will get 4 wheel steering.

Additionally, the costs of batteries have been dropping considerably I’ve read. So in the end, the CT4 may not be any more expensive than the quoted CT3.

Originally I chose CT3 because of the range. In time I fell in love with the off-road capabilities. With CT4 things just get better.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Yeah… I don’t see this as great news. The tri motor was already more truck than I cared to buy. Seems like we might have to choose whether to spend a bunch more to get the quad or have ship date moved back. Eh. That stings a bit.
There might be a Cybertruck dual motor rear wheel steer that equals capabilities (except maybe top speed) of original tri-motor for price same as tri-motor.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
From a cost and manufacturing perspective, I would think that a x2 and x4 configuration would be almost identical other than the installation of how many motors and the battery itself. Everyone is going to have differing perspectives based on needs and pricing as far as Telsa's judgement on this new twist. I myself am rather pleased and should be able to do the CT4 configuration at release time. It also means I may perhaps get pushed up the line a bit sooner (yeah me! LOL) than prior as I am sure there may be some CT3 folks ahead of me that are going to hard pass on this.

While Tesla can price the CT4 config at WHATEVER they desire, I cannot imagine material costs of 1 extra motor and connectors needed is going to be more than an extra 5k....
Sponsored