10,000+ Miles Driving a Cybertruck – Things learned: range, great sound and full love/hate list after 10k miles

Startreknerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Country flag
Right?!

I drive a lot but only put about 2,500 on my Model 3 a month.

Over 127k total now

cyberwulf

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still Waiting
Country flag
+/- $6k per year for insurance!! I hope that's for a driver with poor record. All our my cars cost half that, including an ev, a muscle car, suv and several collector cars

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
What are you talking about? The range on the Cyberbeast at 75 mph is going to be in the mid to lower 200s. Slow it to 55 and you are in the 300s.

You can expect a LOT lower range on a newer vehicle than you can an older one. Why, because your foot gets lighter over time.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Wild to hear such differing experiences with range. I have heard of another higher mileage truck avg about 400wh/mi

Are these your personal results @Gigahorse ?

Re insurance, I was quoted $180 and have a few friends that have their trucks paying nearly the same. We aren’t getting the full picture here or something. Or your insurance is bonkers garbage.

JPRIVER

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016.5 s 75d
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am anxiously awaiting a real-world test that shows the Cybertruck can get close to 385Wh/mi on the highway. This would equal the 319 mile range and my understanding is the EPA estimate. So far no range test has come anywhere close to this estimate. I have not even seen 450Wh/mi which would be the promised 16% improvement in v2 4860.

The CT is awesome and I have been defending it for 4 years, but I will cancel my FS order and eat the $1000 if the real world range reports are not improved.

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
You are generally correct, however it deserves to be said that the first Model 3 Tesla ever sold, the M3 LR RWD, was likely the best single motor M3 they ever made. So not everything gets better with time.
That is true because I have one. It's built like a tank, corners like a Porsche, real leather steering wheel feels good, and gets like 140Wh/mile but still only 310-ish miles. However, it cost me like $57k. You can get a new AWD 3 for $46k with 340 miles with double pane windows. The RWD wind noise is as loud as an old Prius. My 2018 AWD is quiter, and brother's 2023 3 is even quiter with double pane windows and no misaligned panel gaps. You can tell my RWD 3 was built by hands.

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Although it's supposed to be a detailed report, many things seem out of place. The insurance paid and the amount of miles driven are big red flags... I expect some of the other information is wonky... Did they also say 20+ hours of video coming but they will remain anonymous because of employment? Actually it all seems wonky - and then they show "FaceTime" screen shots for "proof" ok... whatever.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I am anxiously awaiting a real-world test that shows the Cybertruck can get close to 385Wh/mi on the highway. This would equal the 319 mile range and my understanding is the EPA estimate. So far no range test has come anywhere close to this estimate. I have not even seen 450Wh/mi which would be the promised 16% improvement in v2 4860.

The CT is awesome and I have been defending it for 4 years, but I will cancel my FS order and eat the $1000 if the real world range reports are not improved.
I believe that there has been some lower 400's posted. This one even lists a 290.

But you just have to remember, for most everyone getting one, they are driving them hard. You going to play with a new toy.

And you learn that in everyday driving, you really don't care! As long as the vehicle is full every morning and still has range at night, it's okay to play all day long.
And on the road, Superchargers are placed so close, travelling 85mph isn't a big deal.

Once you get an EV, you realize that you rarely even think about the range.

Towing is different, and range is even an issue for Diesels, which is why many have aux tanks for towing.

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
You couldn't be more wrong. They did in 2013, 2016 and 2018 respectively. And the demand for those cars is higher than ever because it affords people the opportunity to own a Tesla at an extreme discount. The prices couldn't be better for those unable to buy new and want an entry point into EV that isn't a Leaf or a Bolt. There is a literal reason for the term "early adopter" and if it weren't for early adopters the rest of it wouldn't exist.

Do a search for 2013 BMW 5 Series on cars.com for the top 3 models that were comparable (in price) to the Tesla Model S at the time. The values are all lower by about $10k and there are fewer of them for sale (longevity?). This is a heuristic litmus of comparable vehicles by price and time. If you have a better 5 min comparo, please share.

How are you disparaging the strategy and outcome of early adoption, iterative improvement, and the final availability of a great used car that people can afford? Seems to offer more value long term than comparable ICE cars of the time, but my comparison is admittedly loose.

I am talking about now because the cars got better over time. No one wants an used 13 S, 16 X, or 18 3, etc. They want the S and X with EAP or FSD capable. They want the new 3 with more range etc. Only reason ppl want 2016 is free superchargers. Cars without it goes for dirt cheap because of no demand.

The pattern will be the same for the Cybertruck. There is demand now for 2024, but in 3 or 4 years, no one wants a used 2023/24 because a new Cybertruck will cost the same or lower as used and will have more range. Plus, possible more features like roll down rear windows, folding mid-gate, or digital rear view mirrors.

My post was in response about someone saying Tesla knew about the range being low. I agreed that they knew because better trucks are coming. It's done on purpose. We do this all the time at my job. We have something ready to release that's even better when we release our new product. Just look at Samsung and Apple for example.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Gosh dang it. $465/mo for insurance. Wow.

Having a reservation since Nov 2019 for the 500 mile range Cybertruck, it is more and more disappointing to hear/see the low range of the CT.

Also disappointing to "hear" the road noise complaints. I currently drive a Ford Lightning, while waiting for my Cybertruck, and the Lightning is really quiet. Love how smooth and quiet it drives.

I was 1000% in on getting a Cybertruck and have been following its pending release for 4 years now. I really thought it would be substantial better than the Rivian or the Lightning. But is it? Maybe in some areas, but in other areas it sounds like the Rivian or the Lightning would be a better choice.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

You probably won't see that number, because the 319 number is the blended EPA range. EV range gets lower as they get faster. Look at the Highway vs City on all of the EPA EV numbers and you will see the same thing.

I so suspect that you will be able to hit the EPA blended range at about 60 mph, just not 75 mph. On average Tesla lose about 10% range for every 5 mph that they go above 60 mph.

The original Model 3 with an EPA range of 310 miles has a record range of over 600 miles.

The thing that you have to remember right now is that these are new toys, people want to play!
Sponsored