OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The 350 mile range Cybertruck will deliver less than 300 miles in real life driving. I can confidently say that with over 2.5 years and 40k miles of Tesla ownership.

We average 15% less range in our Model Y than advertised. Plus, anything over 65 mph or hilly terrain sucks electrons from the battery pack.
Sponsored

Crimson_Fate

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Makes complete sense.. the 4680 densities are not ready for a 500 mile truck.
The 350 mile range Cybertruck will deliver less than 300 miles in real life driving. I can confidently say that with over 2.5 years and 40k miles of Tesla ownership.

We average 15% less range in our Model Y than advertised. Plus, anything over 65 mph or hilly terrain sucks electrons from the battery pack.
You are seeing what I do with my MY . So 15% loss + a nominal charge at 80% + a nominal discharge to 20% gives about 45% of the rated range or about 160 miles and maybe 100 miles of towing.

I was thinking they would just release the dual motor first but they also have a battery production problem so they are going to put out a new varient which is much more expensive to buy time.

cjcomb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Draftsman
Country flag
I mean it is irrelevant if it cannot do the basic job a pickup needs to do. It will still find an audience, but it is uncompetitive as a full-sized pickup truck because it cannot do truck things like towing and carrying loads more than 150-180 miles (implication of the "350 Tesla miles" range number). It is like selling a chainsaw for a "really good price" but that cannot cut down trees. It is fine for cutting 2x4s and such but cannot cut trees. But look at the great price. If it does not meet the need of the basic function for its category, price is irrelevant.

How a Tesla 350 CT would work in real world:
EPA 350 - Unloaded 70 mph range in nice weather with no big hills - 320.
Realistic minimum stopping at 10% means usable at 290
Realistic maximum charge in most situation at 90% means usable at 260.

If you toss in 800 lbs of load or throw on a small trailer or add some significant terrain or weather, you will be stopping every 170 - 180 miles.
TY! 350 range okay for truck ā€œciviliansā€, not actual truck truckness. But irony is a ā€œlimitationā€ would equal weakness to a typical male ICE truck buyer and boom you lose the the market. If your friends canā€™t be shut up by superior ability, most wonā€™t be willing to ā€œstand outā€ w/the exotic design. No one speaks about the critical American male truck ownersā€™ psychological subtleties.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
"social media influencer who claims to have spoken to confidential sources"

This is totally bogus click bait- Oh yeah, I know someone who knows someone who really knows.

Total waste of time!!!

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
What if it was a 350mi rated range at full load (semi range was given at full load)? Maybe they are launching with long range quad or tri motor with a 220-250kWh battery and ~600mi unloaded range. :unsure:

the43k

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Model S, CyberTruck
Occupation
Career Fire Fighter / Owner NJ Renewable Energy LLC
Country flag
First off, This entire discussion is based on a twitter post where so many things have come and gone over the years, hard to place too much faith on just one comment. That said, if true, this would be really stupid for the brand and quite frankly, really piss me off. Is it the best way to sell the most vehicles in the short term due to battery supplies? Maybe. But the entire 4 year wait has been a conversation about a truck that would outperform the most sold truck in the US. The ford F-150. I'm buying a Cybertruck to do pickup truck things. If I wanted a glorified car, I'd buy a Y or an X. Sorry to remind everyone, but RANGE IS EVERYTHING! 350 miles is outstanding for any car not a truck. The lightning proved this and failed. I want to carry things, tow things, use the generator to power stuff, do actual work, camp, drive in rural places like the woods, mountains, deserts. Drive in harsh weather environments. I've owned EV's for 10 years. Highways are great for Supercharging. As soon as you leave the highways of America and get into nature or off the beaten path, a 350 range pickup might be a 250 range pickup due to topography, speed and weather, that might be a 150 mile pickup due to payload or towing, isn't worth anything! There are little gas stations all around the country. Where are you going to charge in Moab, Yellowstone, Yosemite? The best and most capable model should be produced first, blow away the competition and prove to the world that the Cybertruck pickup can do it all. A 350 range pickup, is going to be a fashion statement for rich while collar suburban mc mansion owners to impress the neighbors when they drive to starbucks for coffee. Meanwhile, the couldn't operate a screw driver and have never put anything in the back of a pickup truck their entire life. Dear Elon, please don't let me down.

D55AE71E-73DF-463D-BFE3-BF7257EA25E1.jpeg

[/QUOTE]

Real Madrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Jeep, Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla...motor-AWD-model-releasing-first.734300.0.html

It makes logical sense as the Quad would be the flagship of the Cybertruck trims. The move would be similar to Rivian. They launched their Quad Motor first and followed up with a Dual Motor version at a later date.

If the rumor turns out to be true I predict Tesla targeted over 835 HP to one up the Quad Motor Rivian R1T.

If this prediction comes to fruition I expect the Quad Motor MSRP to be around 15% higher than the Tri Motor $69,990 reveal pricing announced in late 2019 (just under $80k).

I'm waiting for dual motor

the43k

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Model S, CyberTruck
Occupation
Career Fire Fighter / Owner NJ Renewable Energy LLC
Country flag
All 3 of these uses, need more than 350 mile range when you include, topography, speed, temperature.
  • 40% of truck buyers use their truck for hauling cargo on a regular basis
  • 35% of truck buyers use their truck for off-road driving on a regular basis.
  • 25% of truck buyers use their truck for recreational purposes on a regular basis.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
3 people told me confidentially that the first cybertrucks will have 500 miles of range.

See? I can do it too. You can trust me because I have a twitter account, a tesla, and sometimes have a beard.

mprimo

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, BMW X6
Occupation
US Government
Country flag
I donā€™t think you are right, but damn would I be happy if you were!!
It is a stretch, but the math and the screenshots does support the theory. I mean the Semi get approx 700 miles unladen. So I donā€™t think Range is a limiting factor with Tesla. The Model S gets 400 miles with last Gen tech. Iā€™m not holding my breath but I wouldnā€™t be surprised.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla...motor-AWD-model-releasing-first.734300.0.html

It makes logical sense as the Quad would be the flagship of the Cybertruck trims. The move would be similar to Rivian. They launched their Quad Motor first and followed up with a Dual Motor version at a later date.

If the rumor turns out to be true I predict Tesla targeted over 835 HP to one up the Quad Motor Rivian R1T.

If this prediction comes to fruition I expect the Quad Motor MSRP to be around 15% higher than the Tri Motor $69,990 reveal pricing announced in late 2019 (just under $80k).

ā€œAn electric vehicle social media influencer who claims to have spoken to confidential sources has sparked a rumourā€. We hear this kind of BS all the time. Months ago it was MDR who mixed claims of inside information with his own predictions and lost 100% of any credibility over night. Personally I hope that ā€˜Bearded Whatever Guyā€™, the unknown source that quoted him, and anyone that pushes this ā€˜rumourā€™ (spelling alone makes it suspicious) go the same way.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
What if it was a 350mi rated range at full load (semi range was given at full load)? Maybe they are launching with long range quad or tri motor with a 220-250kWh battery and ~600mi unloaded range. :unsure:
That would be a horse of a different color. I am suddenly glad that my truck is at best 9 months out from the start of production. That is plenty of time for Elon/Tesla to see the error of their ways and get my 500-mile Tri out the door.
Sponsored