Width and Minimum Ride Height? Comparable vehicle?

BeachWombat

First Name
Wombat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Country flag
Hey all,

First, a little about myself; I currently drive a small Honda sedan, and have been interested in Teslas for a long time. For me, the Cybertruck is a cyberpunk dream come true and is the one that will most likely make me jump on board.

My only concern is the size of the truck; I've never driven anything that wide or high off the ground aside from the occasional U-Haul when moving :LOL: I've never been a "truck person" at all. (Truth be told, I like the "tank"-like aspects of the Cybertruck more than the fact that it's a... well, a truck.) But I also saw during the presentation that the ride height will be adjustable? So, I have a few questions:

* Does anyone know the minimum ride height of the Cybertruck at this early stage? If so, what other current-year vehicle would be comparable to this? Does anything bad happen in other modern trucks with variable ride height if I decided to drive it at the lowest suspension setting at all times?

* Is there another modern vehicle that has a similar width of the Cybertruck?

Depending on the answers I might decide to do a few test drives around town to get a feel for how big this beast will feel :) Thanks!
Sponsored

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
Seems like 8" ground clearance is the minimum height. Hard to comment on exact height for stepping in but should give you an idea.

If you've never driven a large truck, test drive an F-150 and drive around. It's very manageable once you get used to it but driving in a city or confined roads the first few times can be stressful.

I drive a Civic coupe but drive medium duty trucks for work somewhat often. A shock when you haven't done it in awhile but you get used to the size quickly.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Try test driving a Dodge 1500 with air ride suspension if you can. It is close in size and let’s you see what air ride will be like.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
I think test driving those trucks could help, but it seems like those trucks have to put their seats higher than the Cyber truck.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Parking is the biggest impact with daily driving of a larger vehicle. You will learn to give up on getting into parking spots in one swoop and instead just naturally start taking a K-turn kind of maneuver. You will learn how to contort your body to get in and out of the vehicle with a few less inches of clearance to open the door. You will covet end spots and spots with an open space next to them like you are driving a show car. You will learn just how little room your garage has for anything else when the truck is parked in there.

The other impact will be the load range E tires. If you don't need the payload, you will want to run them below max inflation to help soften the ride a bit.

The higher ride height is a positive you will miss whenever you are back driving a low slung sedan.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
You will get your exercise from walking to and from the store to that far parking spot because no one else wants to park there, but it is open and you can avoid the cars on either side. Summoning your vehicle will be great for the CT or Tesla may come out with automated valet parking.

OP
OP
BeachWombat

BeachWombat

First Name
Wombat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the great info! I'll try to give at least one of those trucks a try.

Yeah, I figured as much about the parking. But, Teslas have auto-park, so, maybe I don't have to stress about that either? :LOL:

Keith37629

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
Rent a U-Haul small box truck or one of their full-size pickups

AussieCyber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan
Country flag
Width -"80 (203.20cm) wide vs 84 (213.36cm) at unveil, will be closer to 82 (208.28cm)"

QUESTION: The 82 inches width that Elon hinted at for the vehicle. Will this be vehicle side to vehicle side OR will it be including the width of the side wheel arches, any idea's/info?

Thanks.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the great info! I'll try to give at least one of those trucks a try.

Yeah, I figured as much about the parking. But, Teslas have auto-park, so, maybe I don't have to stress about that either? :LOL:
Does anyone know about reverse summon? Can it be customized to find or prefer spots with open spaces, etc.?

OverlandCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA sportage, Honda CRV
Occupation
student
Country flag
Seems like 8" ground clearance is the minimum height. Hard to comment on exact height for stepping in but should give you an idea.

If you've never driven a large truck, test drive an F-150 and drive around. It's very manageable once you get used to it but driving in a city or confined roads the first few times can be stressful.

I drive a Civic coupe but drive medium duty trucks for work somewhat often. A shock when you haven't done it in awhile but you get used to the size quickly.
lol when your minimum ground clearence is only an inch lower than the F150's
Sponsored