RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
You're right I should have said Alpha proto not concept. I had forgotten about the fact the Beta Franz was photographed with at Investor day had different tires than the Beta on static display. However I doubt they had Goodyear make another set of one off 'display' tires, I think the ones that were on the concept are the ones on the Beta that was on static display.

The tires on the Beta Franz is standing next to look the same as the ones on the CyberRodeo Alpha prototype which were 315/60R20:

The fact that the fender flares are narrower on the Beta than on the Alpha could be the reason why they are sticking out.

MDR mentioned the production A/T tire will be narrower than that. Unlike many of the assumptions he passed as fact he did explicitly note this info came from Tesla so I'm inclined to believe it is credible:

Hard to tell if the more street versions seen on early beta protos will be production, because I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen any street wirh sidewalls so obviously designed to flange with the aero hubcaps. Itā€™s possible the street offering just doesnā€™t have that design offered. But if we see a street version with sidewall design, we should be pretty sure theyā€™re near production offerings (no other reason to create that sidewall design).
I don't think we'll see the sidewall flange on the street tire.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
MDR mentioned the production A/T tire will be narrower than that. Unlike many of the assumptions he passed as fact he did explicitly note this info came from Tesla so I'm inclined to believe it is credible:
I believe he was describing the size of the tires on the indoor pre-production prototype - see his IG video where heā€™s basically reading it off the sidewall standing there next to it saying ā€œthese are 285 r18sā€

I also still separately lean toward the tires on the pre-production CT being materially smaller than the ones on the unveil CT. See them ā€œside by sideā€ relative to the MASSIVE fender flares on the unveil proto, while still sticking out past those

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 7691853F-65A4-4F55-8980-44EEAA18F7F6
Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos E1E9C005-66D6-4876-BEED-F8FD1318D113
Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 51646BE5-293C-4BE9-B5C4-43EB33FC67BF
Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos E5C2E642-AA34-4D53-9065-4EAD7363BB59

Also check how high the unveil proto is lifted compared to investor proto, with the unveil tires still appearing relatively large/filling the lifted well (and all the more so if in fact the unveil is 5% larger than investor)

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos BE033C79-5F3C-4B6D-B7D6-766AD4C47971

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 78BFA236-B340-4215-92FC-5D12F332288F

MEWoodsMFG

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Chrysler Town & Country
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I believe he was describing the size of the tires on the indoor pre-production prototype - see his IG video where heā€™s basically reading it off the sidewall standing there next to it saying ā€œthese are 285 r18sā€

I also still separately lean toward the tires on the pre-production CT being materially smaller than the ones on the unveil CT. See them ā€œside by sideā€ relative to the MASSIVE fender flares on the unveil proto, while still sticking out past those

7691853F-65A4-4F55-8980-44EEAA18F7F6.jpeg
E1E9C005-66D6-4876-BEED-F8FD1318D113.jpeg
51646BE5-293C-4BE9-B5C4-43EB33FC67BF.jpeg
E5C2E642-AA34-4D53-9065-4EAD7363BB59.jpeg

Also check how high the unveil proto is lifted compared to investor proto, with the unveil tires still appearing relatively large/filling the lifted well (and all the more so if in fact the unveil is 5% larger than investor)

BE033C79-5F3C-4B6D-B7D6-766AD4C47971.jpeg

78BFA236-B340-4215-92FC-5D12F332288F.jpeg
The unveil proto changed it's height on stage to demonstrate the air suspension system and the ramp, so who knows where on the height spectrum it was when the photo was taken? Whereas, the investor day production beta was set at a static height and not moved. Also, these photos are taken from completely different angles, so it's impossible to draw any conclusions when comparing these photos.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
This version won't see Europe.
I'm not sure why so many people keep saying that, the roads there are just as wide because of semi trucks there are as wide as anywhere else on the planet. In fact many of the new trucks, including the Tesla Semi aren't allowed in Australia because they are too wide, even though here we have road trains that are twice as long as in the US at 120ft.

The smallest roads I encountered whilst living in Europe for decades, and visiting there nearly every year, is in Switzerland and Italy, and some parts of France, mostly in the Alps. It's common for older villages to have smaller roads or even partially overhanging buildings etc, but otherwise even driving a full size 40 ton truck is fine. People also are used to driving more defensively on those smaller roads.

The main reason it might not make it there is if they try to bring it in as a passenger car, it might not meet the pedestrian impact safety. But as a "nutzfahrzeug" and its fairly high weight capacity it can avoid those compliance issues if over 3.5t GVM.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The unveil proto changed it's height on stage to demonstrate the air suspension system and the ramp, so who knows where on the height spectrum it was when the photo was taken? Whereas, the investor day production beta was set at a static height and not moved.
I understand they were at different heights? Thatā€™s what I said

Also check how high the unveil proto is lifted compared to investor proto, with the unveil tires still appearing relatively large/filling the lifted well
the point was that - despite the CT being so much higher in the above picture, those tires still appear to me to be filling the wheel well. Obviously my view could be wrong and need not be shared by others.

but I expect they are also a good bit smaller than the tires on the unveil proto
I also still separately lean toward the tires on the pre-production CT being materially smaller than the ones on the unveil CT.
If at any point you mistook my chatting about my loosely held and fallible inferences based off unequally angled photos, etc., for an unwavering assertion to objective truth, then I guess, sorry!

There's no evidence these aren't all the same tire size.

-Crissa
And as for you: why are you so bizarrely obstinate?

Do you think thereā€™s a big risk that someone reading my conjectures about the relative tire sizes was going to be so deeply confused that I was merely expressing my opinion about how they appear to me?

Did I anywhere state that I had any other type of ā€œevidenceā€ that they were different tires?

No attempt to chat back. No attempt to describe your opposing view. No preliminary question as to why I might have other reasons for thinking it.

Instead just flying in to contribute no more than a turd in the punch bowl, and an unearned implication that I had asserted anything as fact based on any evidence other than my loosely held opinion based on looking at the photos.

As for the tire size:

We both know there is unlikely to ever be direct ā€œevidenceā€ of the unveil tire size, because those prototype tires (both at unveil and Peterson Museum) do not have the NHTSA-required tire information on the sidewalls.

Weā€™ll all be left only to observational comparisons, until someone takes a measuring tape to Peterson. And even then you can just object ā€˜thereā€™s no evidence the tires at Peterson are the same as at unveil/investor day,ā€™ etc.

Ok, you got me!

Iā€™m left just where I started, and as far as I ventured on this subject: expressing my loosely held opinion based on what observable comparisons are available.

To me, there exist various photos and videos of the alpha with those prototype tires that appear larger than those seen at investor day, despite the trucks being raised in a higher stance (which trends to make tires appear smaller - or be required to fit larger tires)

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 8B648B7F-FD76-4A40-9052-F07B91672981

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 169EF704-524F-44A7-B811-22776C594744

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos A6405569-8878-457A-9CDF-6BFBF8E4EEE2

while other photos of the alpha prototype with the same design of proto tire donā€™t appear so large when raised

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos A71B96FE-4DB8-4347-970E-76C0B099EFCA

Including on the beta those at investor day, lowered much further (tending to make tires appear large)

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 409A12CA-8901-43B9-94B5-3B21D3C34FC4

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos EFD92190-58E5-4D3C-A594-E7D7517AF554

- cvalue13

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And as for you: why are you so bizarrely obstinate?
Because I value gauging the solidity of conjecture.

There are pictures of the sidewall of each of the prototypes. If I cared about it, I would seek those.

The information is underneath the wheel covers on the original prototype. Which is why we have this goofy argument over and over.

-Crissa

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Because I value gauging the solidity of conjecture.
Oh do you now?

ā€¦ [next breath, asserts as unqualified fact demonstrably false conjecture]ā€¦

There are pictures of the sidewall of each of the prototypes. If I cared about it, I would seek those.
donā€™t bother, Iā€™ve got receipts:

the version of prototype tires weā€™re talking about do not have size data on their sidewalls

they only say ā€œGoodYearā€ and ā€œNot For Highway Useā€ and ā€œMade In USAā€ because they are not for sale, and so are not required by NHTSA regs to display sidewall data such as max PSI, size, load/speed rating, etc.

Unveil alpha:

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos E8D9D6D2-0967-4F5E-96FA-4B81142178FA

Peterson:

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos E4529326-B6CB-4EFC-AC67-B89D2E5206BD

Investor day proto:

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 9510D078-D30F-4FA4-AA07-B99B0E382A62

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh do you now?

ā€¦ [next breath, asserts as unqualified fact demonstrably false conjecture]ā€¦

donā€™t bother, Iā€™ve got receipts:

the version of prototype tires weā€™re talking about do not have size data on their sidewalls

they only say ā€œGoodYearā€ and ā€œNot For Highway Useā€ and ā€œMade In USAā€ because they are not for sale, and so are not required by NHTSA regs to display sidewall data such as max PSI, size, load/speed rating, etc.

Unveil alpha:

E8D9D6D2-0967-4F5E-96FA-4B81142178FA.jpeg

Peterson:

E4529326-B6CB-4EFC-AC67-B89D2E5206BD.jpeg

Investor day proto:

9510D078-D30F-4FA4-AA07-B99B0E382A62.jpeg
The information is underneath the wheel covers on the original prototype. Which is why we have this goofy argument over and over.
-Crissa

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The tires on the Beta Franz is standing next to look the same as the ones on the CyberRodeo Alpha prototype which were 315/60R20:
seen today in Palo Alto, too

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos BB3B72E2-5E66-4B84-8B0E-6552E50B1ABE
Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 62252A45-E9DB-4259-876F-94AFEEDFFA35

also, per the above exchange that Matthew DR guy did not read the sidewall of inside ingested day proto tire, as those too have stat blank sidewalks like the similarly designed unveil day prototype tires

So Goodyear made at least three sets, because we havenā€™t heard about the Peterson Museum original unveil proto being on blocks :ROFLMAO:, at at unveil after Muskā€™s presentation they took the window-damaged prototype off stage and rolled out a full sized clay model truck on the same tires, seen here:

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 00512A15-13D7-48A8-A43B-146DC00B9CAD

Iā€™d assume but donā€™t know that Tesla would have ā€˜commissionedā€™ multiple sets, and in differing sizes, possibly differing wheel dimensions, to allow for both redundancy and various types testing

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
this was added after my reply

regardless, Iā€™m confused by it for a few reasons

initially, you said no evidence exists that the unveil tires are differently sized than the investor day tires. We have pretty good information on the investor day tire size. So if there exists photos of the unveil style prototype tires with the hubcaps off and sizing info showing, then evidence would exist as to whether the are similarly sized or not

but the other reason Iā€™m confused, is your comment makes little sense. It would be against the regs for an OEM to cover that tire data with an OEM part (the hubcaps), for a tire maker to make a tire for a manufacturer with a design known to cover that data, and there would be no compelling reason for GoodYear to mold that info for a tire that wasnā€™t to be sold in market. And why print ā€œmade in USAā€ and ā€œNot For Highway Useā€ - of all things - outside the hubcap when plenty of room is available under the hubcap?

which I take to all be reasons that the other style tire, seen on Franzā€™s truck at investor day, or the 8 in the back of the CT, various protos months ago, or today in Palo Alto, etc., does have the info molded in the tire and positioned specifically to not be covered by the hubcap:

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 3C27CC60-8440-4DC5-8D45-C4CD41C3C4BB

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 83A43626-65DD-4BC0-8BC0-491B97902846

I know you donā€™t care to spend time to look (only enough time to inject obstinance), but seems like you in fact could provide ā€œevidenceā€ as to whether the unveil tire size and investor tire size is the same/different. What once didnā€™t exist, is now merely out of reach!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
83A43626-65DD-4BC0-8BC0-491B97902846.jpeg

I know you donā€™t care to spend time to look (only enough time to inject obstinance), but seems like you in fact could provide ā€œevidenceā€ as to whether the unveil tire size and investor tire size is the same/different. What once didnā€™t exist, is now merely out of reach!
...And your evidence that this tire is a different size is...?

-Crissa

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
...And your evidence that this tire is a different size is...?

-Crissa
Which tire? The one in the photo you quoted?

The tire in the photo you quoted above is about the same dimensions as the purported size of tire on the indoor investor day prototype, but on a 20ā€ rim - and a different/production design of tire tread compared to the ones seen on the unveil prototype, Peterson, and investor day inside proto. Itā€™s the same design as on the investor day proto Franz had outside.

That difference in tire design was what was really being discussed.

I only off-hand mentioned that I tend to think the inside investor day tire is smaller than the tire on the unveil prototype - based purely on observation (and my good looks).

By no means an exact or infallible science, but pretty easily I can eyeball which of the below Raptors are on the stock 35ā€ vs optional 37ā€ tires

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos B5468C18-2CD6-495C-97E1-170C1152C277

And with no more or less confidence, I tend to think the unveil prototype was on something closer to a 37ā€ tire (nothing to confirm it), and the indoor investor day prototype a 35ā€ inch tire (some decent info to confirm it) like the one photographed in your quote above (but of different tread design).

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which tire? The one in the photo you quoted?

The tire in the photo you quoted above is about the same dimensions as the purported size of tire on the indoor investor day prototype, but on a 20ā€ rim - and a different/production design of tire tread compared to the ones seen on the unveil prototype, Peterson, and investor day inside proto. Itā€™s the same design as on the investor day proto Franz had outside.
You state it's different.

But you don't say how it's different, other than you're insisting it's different.

That's not evidence that the tire size is different between the prototypes.

-Crissa

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
I can see why you'd think that but in my opinion he's not reading off the tire just repeating what Tesla told him while filming the relevant part to the narration. They told him the production A/T tire will be 285/75R18 but that doesn't mean the ones being filmed are that size, it also follows that in the tweet I quoted prior he would have stated he read it off the sidewall and not that Tesla told him so.

Anyway wheels can't stick out from fenders in the US either and I'll go out on a limb and say Tesla knows this which is why I think it's possible we are not looking at the production 285/75R18's here:

Tesla Cybertruck Another Cybertruck Measurement Dimensions Thread - Based on New Videos 1680043396264

7691853F-65A4-4F55-8980-44EEAA18F7F6.jpeg
E1E9C005-66D6-4876-BEED-F8FD1318D113.jpeg
51646BE5-293C-4BE9-B5C4-43EB33FC67BF.jpeg
E5C2E642-AA34-4D53-9065-4EAD7363BB59.jpeg

BE033C79-5F3C-4B6D-B7D6-766AD4C47971.jpeg

78BFA236-B340-4215-92FC-5D12F332288F.jpeg
I don't necessarily disagree that the concept wheels could be over sized (possibly 37's) but the impression I get looking at the above photos is that the wheels on the concept look better proportioned while the wheels on the pre-production Beta almost look too big.

You make a good point about the fender flares, it's possible the reduction in bed width between the wheel wells is not just due to the RWS but also the reduction in fender width that causes the wheel to have to sit further inboard on the Beta truck compared to the concept and Alpha truck

EDIT: Just saw your follow up posts, I was a little short on time so just replied from the notifications link and didn't see them at first.

at at unveil after Muskā€™s presentation they took the window-damaged prototype off stage and rolled out a full sized clay model truck on the same tires, seen here:

00512A15-13D7-48A8-A43B-146DC00B9CAD.jpeg

Iā€™d assume but donā€™t know that Tesla would have ā€˜commissionedā€™ multiple sets, and in differing sizes, possibly differing wheel dimensions, to allow for both redundancy and various types testing
Good catch, I think the clay model unlike the working concept is not over sized but true to size (relative to the on screen specs that were shown). Question is if the wheels on the clay model are a different size to the ones on the working concept, it's possible that they are.
Sponsored

Last edited: