SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTORÂź
Country flag
Truck stuff or not, I don't know. I never said truck stuff, but I use one vehicle to do all stuff and that includes, as I've mentioned several times over the last 4 years, cold weather, crappy, muddy, slushy, snowy, icy remote roads for about 7-10 days while hunting with a 4 wheeler in the bed.

I drive several hrs to camp out. The closest Tesla SC is about 1.5 hrs from the campsite and it's out of the way. There is a Charge Point charger about 35 miles away, but it's also out of the way. With the CT I won't be able to put the 4-wheeler in the bed...unless we find out the bed is actually 6.5ft as it was originally stated, but I'm no longer counting on that, so I'll be trailering the 4-wheeler when/where I can.

So the best case is I drive out of the way that 35 miles and fully charge up then head the 35 miles to the campsite. 500 minus 35 miles to camp and 35 to get back to the charger gives me 430 miles of range and I would be on empty in perfect conditions (not trailering anything). Let's say I want to arrive for a recharge with 30 miles of range left. That gives me 400 miles. Which, in the cold, wet crap, sometimes trailering, will be how many actual miles....200-250, (Most of the driving time from the campsite is under 30 mph on dirt roads, some of it is on county roads at 55mph, but definitely not the majority). We drive about 50 miles, sometimes more per day. We are there for a week to 10 days. I'm going to need to charge up again at some point with a 500-mile truck.

Call it what you want, but I certainly don't want to do it 2-3 times with a lesser mileage version.
500 or bust. I don't care about the other variants.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Call it what you want, but I certainly don't want to do it 2-3 times with a lesser mileage version.
500 or bust. I don't care about the other variants.
all well and good and understood. Yours is a use case that may be iffy even with a 500mi variant, so certainly an eg 300mi would be out of question if that use case has no other solutions you’re willing to accept.

on Monday, I leave for my annual pheasant hunt in South Dakota. I don’t take the Lightning, only because to get there from here, I prefer to drive through some of the most remote parts of the (lower 48) country.

we’ll be in my buddy’s F250 instead. Which will be an inferior driving experience in every metric, but for range. But, I’ll get to stick to the back roads, as is my stronger preference.

Last year we rented an F250 for the trip, and towed two saddle mules with us.

Still, I’m glad to have the Lightning the other 355 days a year.

And in no time, BEVs will solve the ‘fuel tank size problem’

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
all well and good and understood. Yours is a use case that may be iffy even with a 500mi variant, so certainly an eg 300mi would be out of question if that use case has no other solutions you’re willing to accept.

on Monday, I leave for my annual pheasant hunt in South Dakota. I don’t take the Lightning, only because to get there from here, I prefer to drive through some of the most remote parts of the (lower 48) country.

we’ll be in my buddy’s F250 instead. Which will be an inferior driving experience in every metric, but for range. But, I’ll get to stick to the back roads, as is my stronger preference.

Last year we rented an F250 for the trip, and towed two saddle mules with us.

Still, I’m glad to have the Lightning the other 355 days a year.

And in no time, BEVs will solve the ‘fuel tank size problem’
well, hopefully next year you can take your 500 mile CT to get them peasants!
Tesla Cybertruck Any 500mi range updates? 1695307754921

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
well, hopefully next year you can take your 500 mile CT to get them peasants!
1695307754921.png
nah - I'm good with 300+ range

that does everything i need plus some, and the occasional edge case can be addressed differently (renting, borrowing, etc.) - if I have a CT, every buddy with an F250 will be happy to swap for a rare day that I need to trailer big

if I were needing a truck for regular distance towing of an RV, for example, I'd be looking elsewhere

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Who needs a long range battery when a rapid charge battery is a better solution? It would be smaller and lighter.
Somebody who's planning to keep the vehicle for 5, 10, 15 years, because as the battery loses, say, one-fifth of its power due to cycling, time, temp extremes, whatever, that person would be happier if they started with a 400 vs a 300 mi range. Or somebody who'll be driving in the rare locations where there are no chargers even for Teslas. Or someone pulling a heavy trailer in low temps.

But if you don't need long-range security, you're right.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Somebody who's planning to keep the vehicle for 5, 10, 15 years, because as the battery loses, say, one-fifth of its power due to cycling, time, temp extremes, whatever, that person would be happier if they started with a 400 vs a 300 mi range. Or somebody who'll be driving in the rare locations where there are no chargers even for Teslas. Or someone pulling a heavy trailer in low temps.

But if you don't need long-range security, you're right.
Short range (I.e., 300 miles) only really works for people living and driving in cities and suburbs and maybe still own ICE vehicles for longer trips, trailering, etc. (as @cvalue13 describes). For those of us that want to go 100% electric, then the CT has to do it all. One doesn’t need an edge case to have the need. In fact, if all you do is drive in the city or suburbs you really only need a Model Y. No matter what the reasoning is I would suggest that not having a 500-mile CT is really an abandonment of the idea of challenging the ICE pickup truck status quo.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Short range (I.e., 300 miles) only really works for people living and driving in cities and suburbs and maybe still own ICE vehicles for longer trips, trailering, etc. (as @cvalue13 describes). For those of us that want to go 100% electric, then the CT has to do it all. One doesn’t need an edge case to have the need. In fact, if all you do is drive in the city or suburbs you really only need a Model Y. No matter what the reasoning is I would suggest that not having a 500-mile CT is really an abandonment of the idea of challenging the ICE pickup truck status quo.
if Tesla currently releases only a ~300mi variant, then for now someone who needs to regularly tow heavy, long distances - then the current CT isn’t yet right for them

could still be right for folks who are left to merely solve their infrequent edge cases - by eg renting or borrowing

none of which precludes Tesla from in the future fully solving for either scenario
Sponsored