Any Interest in a Cyber-Suburban or Cyber-Van?

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Not sure if I'm the only one on here who doesn't particularly need a "pickup truck" but I do want something with the following features:
  • Decent overlanding off-road performance (ground clearance, 4WD, etc)
  • Lots of cargo space
  • 3 rows of seating
  • Comparable towing ability to the Cybertruck
  • The awesome styling and technology of the Cybertruck
  • Reasonably fast acceleration (0-60 in the low 4's or better)
In the ICE world you can get the first four things out of a 4WD Suburban or Sprinter Van. If Tesla followed up the CT with a massive SUV or van based on the same platform and using the same parts and somehow kept the cool styling I would definitely prefer it! In the meantime I'll still be very happy with the truck though 😁
Shut up and take my money! The one thing tesla lacks is a real family mover. I know the x fills that role but, with the tear drop shape you lose so much in the back. You would think it would be a pretty easy deal. No new mechanical. Everything forward of the front doors would be the same as the truck even the rear doors would just need different glass and you probably could use the same rear doors. So you're really just changing the bed configuration and the roof. And then boom you have your cyber SUV.
Sponsored

Chip Geek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt [CT3] On order: Tesla MS-LR
Country flag
I'm "all in" for this idea. Since I'm WAY down on the list (RN1139xxxxx) I will consider a Lucid Gravity (If Lucid is still in business :unsure: ) or maybe a Rivian R1S when the time comes to order my CT. The reason I'm not getting an R1S or Gravity right now is they do not (yet) support NACS and I'm still questioning if those companies will still be in business by then. (Rivian - likely, Lucid - ???)

My hope is that by the time I get the "Order your Cybertruck now" email either Tesla will also have a CyberSUV or the futures for Rivian/Lucid are more clear. When the CT was announced, the R1T and Gravity did not exist and the CT was the closest compromise.

My use case is a bike rack with 4 mountain bikes and 4 guys with gear going on a ~1,000 mile road trip to Moab Utah. We do this 2 to 4 times a year. Currently a Suburban / Tahoe is a good ICE choice for me. I don't really need towing capacity but I DO need a strong hitch - the rack and bikes add a lot of leverage. Also the bikes add significant aerodynamic drag and the superchargers are ~200 miles apart so I need decent EPA range (400 miles???).

I almost forgot - I also have a reservation for the RAM plug in hybrid truck that might meet my needs. I'm hoping they make more than GM has made EV Hummers...

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
There was the leaked document that showed Tesla future products and a van on the Cybertruck platform was on the list. And I would be interested if they make it.

I want to live down by the river in a Cybervan!

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I saw one of Amazon Prime's EV delivery trucks in Florida. It looked similar to their other truck, but you could tell that it looked more modernized.

There's a lot of things that I can think of doing with it.

OP
OP
Fleetwood75

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
Would be really cool if Rivian offered a basic version of their larger Amazon delivery van with no interior other than like dashboard and front door panels. They could sell it wholesale to custom van conversion companies who could make their own awesome camper vans out of it.

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
we have lots of those amazon rivian vans in florida now

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
I'd absolutely love a Tesla Suburban - that'd by far be my ideal vehicle..as long as Elon doesn't gouge on the price anyway :/

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Would be really cool if Rivian offered a basic version of their larger Amazon delivery van with no interior other than like dashboard and front door panels. They could sell it wholesale to custom van conversion companies who could make their own awesome camper vans out of it.

I think that Rivian recently came out from under the Amazone exclusivity vail.

OP
OP
Fleetwood75

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
I think that Rivian recently came out from under the Amazone exclusivity vail.
You can buy this from GM, why not from Rivian as well? Imagine the possiblities!

Tesla Cybertruck Any Interest in a Cyber-Suburban or Cyber-Van? 1704493974159

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I'd absolutely love a Tesla Suburban - that'd by far be my ideal vehicle..as long as Elon doesn't gouge on the price anyway :/
As much as we would like them to be cheaper, and they are getting cheaper, them batteries just cost money. Tesla told us how much the battery extender costs, and I expected everyone gasped a little at the price.

But think if it this way. Ever noticed how a Model Y is just a little longer and bigger Model Y. The seats sit a little higher, but they are nearly identical.

You just raise the side panels a little, enclose the bed, and you are definitely getting there.

It's not as if that every other pickup manufacturer does.

Now, will it be a Suburban or smaller, that's an argument for when they release it.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
You can buy this from GM, why not from Rivian as well? Imagine the possiblities!

1704493974159.png
You can buy one of the panel truck type vehicles from Ford. Nissan has one that they push in Europe. Most of them have much smaller batteries and are intended for the "today delivery" businesses.

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
As much as we would like them to be cheaper, and they are getting cheaper, them batteries just cost money. Tesla told us how much the battery extender costs, and I expected everyone gasped a little at the price.

But think if it this way. Ever noticed how a Model Y is just a little longer and bigger Model Y. The seats sit a little higher, but they are nearly identical.

You just raise the side panels a little, enclose the bed, and you are definitely getting there.

It's not as if that every other pickup manufacturer does.

Now, will it be a Suburban or smaller, that's an argument for when they release it.
$50k promise to $100k release is gouging, no question. It's actually gouging on top of gouging lol. 60% price increase and then a 20k price increase on top of that for the most loyal fans. Just gross

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I am not sure gouging is the correct definition. Tesla is saying it costs more to produce due to delays, inflation and improvements on many of the systems. The shorter range and some of the other features that did not make the cut have been reduced or eliminated due to the development process. Weight and cost all matured during the process and the value that Tesla is delivering is pretty high. I was disappointed that it is so much higher that the original price but I can see the value of the current delivery. I just want to get past the initial deliveries and see the ramp up to full production. Improvements in battery tech and hopefully reduction in price. I may have to wait longer to afford it but it is still the truck That I want.

A Lightning to me is just a regular truck with a battery shoved in. That makes it a compromise. I like some of the features but it is still not a fully designed EV and will suffer. I know I had a 2015 Ford Focus EV for 3+ years and struggled with the 80 mile range (more like 50 miles usable).

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag

It is now available to companies outside of Amazon. However, these vans are also production constrain like the Cybertruck.

OP
OP
Fleetwood75

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
It is now available to companies outside of Amazon. However, these vans are also production constrain like the Cybertruck.
I'm guessing it's a minimum order thing too though. You probably have to contract for a bunch of them, so it would be targeted at like UPS or FedEx. I wonder if they'd work with a relatively small coach-builder like these guys:

https://vanlifecustoms.com/
Sponsored

Reactions: REM