Anyone Believe the Cybertruck will do well on Turo?

Roland Mills

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Mazda 6, Honda Civic
Country flag
Hi friends, i've preordered three Cybertrucks and plan on listing them on Turo. The plan is to monetize them that way before the RoboTaxi network gets turned on. Do any of you currently list your other Teslas on Turo? Good or bad idea? I'd love your feedback!

I've broken down my rationale here:
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Hi friends, i've preordered three Cybertrucks and plan on listing them on Turo. The plan is to monetize them that way before the RoboTaxi network gets turned on. Do any of you currently list your other Teslas on Turo? Good or bad idea? I'd love your feedback!

I do not. I have a friend who lists his Model 3 in Turo and has been able to pay much of his car payment with several rentals a month. He drives his 3 daily otherwise.

There are a surprising number of people who pay the extra prices for a Turo rental instead of a much cheaper traditional car rental company. He believes the typical Turo Tesla renter wants the daily driver experience you only get from having a car for days to weekly that you do not get from a test drive at the dealer.

IMO you have a good plan. After Robotaxi debuts you can transition to that platform. Good luck.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
While I like your idea, Insurance is going to be a huge factor for you that I hope you take into account. Also, with FSD being an option, there is going to be a big question mark on how commercial insurance would cover you renting that car to another person who doesnt have experience with FSD and doesnt understand the cases you can and cannot use FSD. From a commercial insurance standpoint, it may actually be viewed as more of a liability, and personally, i would be sure to have a very large policy protecting myself, in that scenario, in case the worst happens. Yes, Turo probably provides some insurance for you, but I would suspect you would want to supplement that in addition. Not trying to rain on your parade, just want to make sure you have considered all expense aspects before making the jump. Good luck in your business venture!!

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag

This is also my Business Model. I'll pray hard, beg/borrow the cash for a used model 3 now, make payments for it on Turo, learn to optimize/advertise on Turo and other rental services, be an early adopter to robotaxi FSD or driver assist services, prove the business model to loan underwriter or investor, take delivery of 12 CTs over 8 months as robotaxis (previously reserved), earn $30K per CT or $360K a year, invest heavy in Tesla stock, laugh all the way to the bank, give back and pay it forward.

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3 LR75, Cybertruck Dual FSD
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
While I like your idea, Insurance is going to be a huge factor for you that I hope you take into account. Also, with FSD being an option, there is going to be a big question mark on how commercial insurance would cover you renting that car to another person who doesnt have experience with FSD and doesnt understand the cases you can and cannot use FSD. From a commercial insurance standpoint, it may actually be viewed as more of a liability, and personally, i would be sure to have a very large policy protecting myself, in that scenario, in case the worst happens. Yes, Turo probably provides some insurance for you, but I would suspect you would want to supplement that in addition. Not trying to rain on your parade, just want to make sure you have considered all expense aspects before making the jump. Good luck in your business venture!!
Tesla will have discounted insurance available for Tesla Owners & for Robotaxi Uses

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Tesla will have discounted insurance available for Tesla Owners & for Robotaxi Uses
They will, but only in select states. The process to get approved to sell insurance in a given state is an unbelievably lengthy process generally speaking.

timjwright2.0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
No one will want to rent anything else! Can you imagine a vehicle that handles like a sports car, drives you there while you sleep, has air conditioning available in the bed for sleeping, advanced independent air suspension so the road always feels smooth, it’s bulletproof, has hospital grade air filter ration, And looks amazing and turns heads everywhere you go. I think people would pay 200+ a day for that!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
No one will want to rent anything else! Can you imagine a vehicle that handles like a sports car, drives you there while you sleep, has air conditioning available in the bed for sleeping, advanced independent air suspension so the road always feels smooth, it’s bulletproof, has hospital grade air filter ration, And looks amazing and turns heads everywhere you go. I think people would pay 200+ a day for that!
My sister won't. Can't stand the look of the CT. She just went out and bought a Ford to tow her new camper. She might be willing to switch over to a Rivian next but she is very much against the CT right now.

I do think there is a strong market for CTs on Turo once the CT starts to become available. But the price will be somewhat similar to what the other Tesla's are going for. Most people on Turo are looking for a different experience and are willing to pay a premium for a Tesla. But there is going to be an upper limit. The first few CTs available might get $200 a day. But once they are more widely available the price will drop to more affordable levels because those with the means to pay $200 will also have the means to just buy one outright if its really the vehicle for them.

Just my thoughts though. I'm not an economist.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
My sister won't. Can't stand the look of the CT. She just went out and bought a Ford to tow her new camper. She might be willing to switch over to a Rivian next but she is very much against the CT right now.

I do think there is a strong market for CTs on Turo once the CT starts to become available. But the price will be somewhat similar to what the other Tesla's are going for. Most people on Turo are looking for a different experience and are willing to pay a premium for a Tesla. But there is going to be an upper limit. The first few CTs available might get $200 a day. But once they are more widely available the price will drop to more affordable levels because those with the means to pay $200 will also have the means to just buy one outright if its really the vehicle for them.

Just my thoughts though. I'm not an economist.
Ultimate test drive. Lot's of people will be interested in seeing what all the talk is about. It's a way to get your feet wet without diving into the deep in.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Ultimate test drive. Lot's of people will be interested in seeing what all the talk is about. It's a way to get your feet wet without diving into the deep in.
I agree that many will want that. But maybe not at $200. Those who are willing to wait can talk to CT drivers they meet in day-to-day life. Or wait till their friend gets one and gives them a ride. Or meet a CT owner “out on the trail” and watch its performance in comparison to their own rig while caravanning.

Those who are not willing to wait will most likely already have an order in. At that point it will be a question of if they can afford it or not.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
This is also my Business Model. I'll pray hard, beg/borrow the cash for a used model 3 now, make payments for it on Turo, learn to optimize/advertise on Turo and other rental services, be an early adopter to robotaxi FSD or driver assist services, prove the business model to loan underwriter or investor, take delivery of 12 CTs over 8 months as robotaxis (previously reserved), earn $30K per CT or $360K a year, invest heavy in Tesla stock, laugh all the way to the bank, give back and pay it forward.
I hope your plan goes as planned. I'm not a. glutton, so I'll just order the 1 CT3 and be happy. Then, keep my investing rocking, ending up in a year or two with a lot of Tesla stock, and a brand new life. peace

cybertruck808

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I would definitely consider it, especially as I would probably be among the only cybertruck owners in Honolulu initially and, thus, could probably command a pretty penny. But I need to do some more research into how the insurance factor works as well as some other things. I won't lie, I'd also be concerned about people treating the car roughly and being extremely reckless.

But if it could help pay off the truck quickly and supply income otherwise, it definitely would be something to consider. Note, I'd generally only rent it out on weekends or during holidays.

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
The problem with Turo is your geographic location may not support the traffic you want. Someone looking for a car isn't going to be able to travel very far to get it. The people who seem to be making the most money with this service are the ones with many cheap reliable cars all out earning money at the same time.
Sponsored