Anyway to not have Foundation options in cost?

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
I live in California; I plan to place order for 2-motor FS CT soon. For several reasons, I'm annoyed I have to include all the FS options in the cost. Mainly because the CA commercial license plate fee (which all light duty trucks require), is based on vehicle cost and does not decrease over time. Since I have to buy the FSD, and all the add-on options with the FS, I'm assuming I'll pay extra license fees for as long as I own the vehicle. Insurance rates will be higher as well. Under normal circumstances, I could buy the base CT and add these options later, avoiding the extra fees. This may seem a little picky when I'm already paying an inordinate cost for a new car, but that is just me. Save the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves. Any ideas how to avoid the added costs?
Sponsored

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I live in California; I plan to place order for 2-motor FS CT soon. For several reasons, I'm annoyed I have to include all the FS options in the cost. Mainly because the CA commercial license plate fee (which all light duty trucks require), is based on vehicle cost and does not decrease over time. Since I have to buy the FSD, and all the add-on options with the FS, I'm assuming I'll pay extra license fees for as long as I own the vehicle. Insurance rates will be higher as well. Under normal circumstances, I could buy the base CT and add these options later, avoiding the extra fees. This may seem a little picky when I'm already paying an inordinate cost for a new car, but that is just me. Save the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves. Any ideas how to avoid the added costs?
Don't worry about it....you're never going to be able to order a foundation series from the factory since it's a limited release. Also if you haven't put down a deposit yet....you'll have plenty of time to save up your pennies before you get a delivery.

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
You don't mention having a reservation already - in which case you are years from being able to order any Cybertruck, so the extra Foundation options aren't a problem. :)

OP
OP
Ward L

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm number 43k in the reservation que. I received an email asking me to ORDER on December 8th. I configured my Foundation Series Cybertruck yesterday (12/30/2023) with a $1,000 deposit. I decided I was too old to wait for the non-Foundation Cybertruck. Hope it comes before I die. That would be the ship full of money to pay for this sucker!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I am a bit confu
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm number 43k in the reservation que. I received an email asking me to ORDER on December 8th. I configured my Foundation Series Cybertruck yesterday (12/30/2023) with a $1,000 deposit. I decided I was too old to wait for the non-Foundation Cybertruck. Hope it comes before I die. That would be the ship full of money to pay for this sucker!
I am a bit confused. If you are concerned about your age why would you be concerned about a commercial plate? Are those concepts contradictory? As far as the FS is concerned it is a package. Take it or leave it.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Foundation Series comes with the extra stuff. That's the reason for the price.

If you don't want it, then don't get the Foundation.

If you could revert the configuration into a reservation (which I have no idea if possible) then with an early reservation, you would still be early in the queue. That's probably still this year delivery. I'd actually guess April-June. (after the Foundations have been delivered and before the other variants start up.

There won't be that many Beasts, and the RWD won't be ready, so it's just a lot of AWDs that will be the remainder for this year.

RandyS

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 Performance, 2021 Model Y LR
Country flag
Foundation Series comes with the extra stuff. That's the reason for the price.

If you don't want it, then don't get the Foundation.

If you could revert the configuration into a reservation (which I have no idea if possible) then with an early reservation, you would still be early in the queue. That's probably still this year delivery. I'd actually guess April-June. (after the Foundations have been delivered and before the other variants start up.

There won't be that many Beasts, and the RWD won't be ready, so it's just a lot of AWDs that will be the remainder for this year.
My Beast order from a few days ago estimates delivery from mid-2024 to end of year, so I don't see how a non-Foundation order would be delivered in the April-June timeframe as you suggested above.. When you say "there won't be that many Beasts", isn't it true that about 1/3 of all Foundation orders being made are Beast orders? I think it'll be a longer wait for a non-Foundation CT...

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
My Beast order from a few days ago estimates delivery from mid-2024 to end of year, so I don't see how a non-Foundation order would be delivered in the April-June timeframe as you suggested above.. When you say "there won't be that many Beasts", isn't it true that about 1/3 of all Foundation orders being made are Beast orders? I think it'll be a longer wait for a non-Foundation CT...
Where did you get the 1/3 figure?

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I almost am inclined to believe that the charts here would probably lean heavier beast than reality. Only because the people who are here are usually more hardcore fans.

But it's totally possible that it is representative.

I'm pretty sure they will deliver all beasts FS before any non FS duals. Unless there is some sort of bottleneck. Maybe motors?

flyhigh123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X
Country flag
i thought california light duty tax is on the weight of the vehicle, not the price

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
There's a lot of conjecture in everyone's prognostications.

I'm somewhat following the Model 3 introduction where they started with one trim for about 6 months and then started the performance line up. And then the next year started the next trim. Of course for the Model 3 is was RWD, Performance, and then AWD. (after which the retired the LR RWD).

So far there hasn't been any indications of deliveries past March. If we start to hear of deliveries past March for the AWD, that would suggest that my guess was wrong.

I also don't think that they will switch a line to Beast only. I'd guess either a new line or alternate the line.

I also think that your estimate of Beast is high. It's a little hard for me to see hard-core early adopters waiting 6 months to spend $20,000 and something that you can only show off a few times. Daily driving is not different.

prmody

First Name
Palak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Cyberbeast
Country flag
I believe insurance cost is based on year, make and model - not based on the cost you paid to the company.

I can't speak to California license fee, but interested to know more as I am from California and I configured my tri-motor FS for personal use.

OP
OP
Ward L

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
OK, I went to the CA DMV website to calculate the cost for the registration and license. It is $1,273 for a $102k truck and it is "only" $1,130 for an $80k truck. I used a curb weight of 6,669#. The savings is only $143/year. I don't know how the registration cost will drop over time. Looks like better to just forget about the cost and enjoy the Foundation Series Cybertruck.
Sponsored