Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Joe Tegtmeyer was asking. Curious what folks here thought. I’m not sure myself. Kind of seem like they are new/ different but maybe not?

Tesla Cybertruck Are these Cybertruck Castings? 1678916428830

Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Well... They are labeled SCRAP so I don't think they go to anything yet. LOL.

But that means they are most likely practice runs of something that has not been fully developed yet. So for that, CT would seem to be an ideal candidate.

Something I notice though is that there seem to be a few different designs:

1. Wheel wells have what looks like a mounting tunnel for motors etc that has the motors outside the protection of the casting.
Tesla Cybertruck Are these Cybertruck Castings? 1678918670248

2. Wheel wells seem to be connected closer to the central body (battery pack area?) instead of having a tunnel directly between them. Looks like a huge reinforced beam between the two sides.
Tesla Cybertruck Are these Cybertruck Castings? 1678918826022

3. Front castings? Looks like much less reinforcing between wheel wells, and the wheel wells themselves don't look so built up either. Maybe a different vehicle?
Tesla Cybertruck Are these Cybertruck Castings? 1678919022013

4. Maybe another variant of #2? Looks like the large bar for the battery pack on one side (bottom?) but then another bar (top?) that is much smaller. This smaller bar actually looks incomplete too so probably didn't get poured to 100% fill.
Tesla Cybertruck Are these Cybertruck Castings? 1678919184068

Overall, they look pretty beefy so my guess would be even more toward CT.

Anyone else have an idea?

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I would say yes these are CT if found at Austin. These look fairly new given the location and they do not look like model y castings at all except for Pic#1.
Unless they recently built a new giga press for model y don't think they should still be testing. We do know that the 9000t press should be completed and should be in testing phase by now as we've seen at the end of Jan they had most of the gigapress installed.

I would also say maybe front castings

Tesla Cybertruck Are these Cybertruck Castings? tesla cybertruck body shell frame reveal giga factory texas

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I would say yes these are CT if found at Austin. These look fairly new given the location and they do not look like model y castings at all except for Pic#1.
Unless they recently built a new giga press for model y don't think they should still be testing. We do know that the 9000t press should be completed and should be in testing phase by now as we've seen at the end of Jan they had most of the gigapress installed.

I have seen them scrap runs after a press has been running for a while so I wouldn’t discount the possibility that it’s just a binned run from the Model Y.

They just don’t quite look right for Model Y anything. Definitely don’t look like Cybertruck rear ends though.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Pretty clear to me its the CT front end... until I'm corrected lol

A. The 2 mounting points we see on the test version
B. Wheel wells
C. Spot for spare tire in the frunk

Tesla Cybertruck Are these Cybertruck Castings? 1678926029152

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Okay:

Rear Model Y casting
https://electrek.co/2021/01/11/tesla-starts-production-model-y-massive-single-piece-rear-casting/
Tesla Cybertruck Are these Cybertruck Castings? 19EB886D-523F-4086-AC1C-F890F218F8FD

Front Model Y casting
https://driveteslacanada.ca/model-y...-structural-pack-spotted-outside-giga-berlin/
Tesla Cybertruck Are these Cybertruck Castings? BE2C884B-DCC4-4AF6-AF6B-1D8CDBC3F25F

So we can see it looks the most like the front casting. However...

The photo from investor day doesn't show a label on the casting.

Something I notice though is that there seem to be a few different designs:

1. Wheel wells have what looks like a mounting tunnel for motors etc that has the motors outside the protection of the casting.
1678918670248.png
This is a Model Y casting.

2. Wheel wells seem to be connected closer to the central body (battery pack area?) instead of having a tunnel directly between them. Looks like a huge reinforced beam between the two sides.
1678918826022.png

3. Front castings? Looks like much less reinforcing between wheel wells, and the wheel wells themselves don't look so built up either. Maybe a different vehicle?
1678919022013.png

4. Maybe another variant of #2? Looks like the large bar for the battery pack on one side (bottom?) but then another bar (top?) that is much smaller. This smaller bar actually looks incomplete too so probably didn't get poured to 100% fill.
1678919184068.png

Overall, they look pretty beefy so my guess would be even more toward CT.

Anyone else have an idea?
#4 just has a handle on it, probably to keep it from deforming while moved around.

I think those are all angles of the same front casting. I think it's wider than the Model Y casting.

-Crissa

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well Twitter is confused too. Lots of speculation.

Another weird thought. We have nothing to give us perspective on the casting, it might be a Model 3 casting. Highland is coming.

Someone else is thinking it’s Tesla’s Gen 3 car.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Joe Tegtmeyer was asking. Curious what folks here thought. I’m not sure myself. Kind of seem like they are new/ different but maybe not?

1678916428830.png

If you look in the first image, near the center, the casting closest to the red line is different than any Model Y casting. Whether it is a Cybertruck casting or some experiment I don’t know, but it might be.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

tesla cybertruck body shell frame reveal giga factory texas.jpg
They were taken at Giga Texas this morning and they are in a pile of castings most of which are labeled scrap. But there is at least one of them that doesn’t look like a Model Y casting.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Joe knew these were MY lol he's just trying to jump on that MDR hype train! 😂