Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I had done some cost comparison and analysis on the Jeep Gladiator and was waiting for my Subaru to be paid off and see what kind of hybrid version they would release...

But then the CyberTruck was announced and after comparing it to the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, a Dodge pickup, and a Toyota Tundra, the CyberTruck won out on TCO (total cost ownership) and checked all the features I wanted.

I plan on buying a dual motor with the solar panel option and if I can swing it the FSD (FSD is on my reservation).
Sponsored

ELCTRUK

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.elctruk.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri Motor AWD w/FSD
Country flag
I grew up on a farm in Texas. I don’t own a boat yet, but hope to one day.

I started test driving Tesla’s as soon as it was possible to, and I was the guy that frequently test drove them until the employees no longer asked when I was going to buy mine. My first time driving a Tesla was a P85D Model S with Ludicrous mode. I can still feel the life changing exhilarating feeling of slamming the accelerator down from 0-60...it changed driving. Felt like I was in a spaceship but on the ground. It was over after that, and I forever became a Tesla fanatic. All that to say, Yes, I will do whatever it takes to own this Cybertruck!

I kept waiting and man was it worth it! Here comes the Tri-Motor “Plaid” Cybertruck FSD in my future.

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
I definitely cannot afford it. The last car I bought was under $3,000 and I have never bought anything new or almost new. but this car will last over 20 years the cyber truck. And my son who is 10 months old will learn to drive it and it will be probably a 16th birthday present once he is that old. I will buy this car for safety and we'll keep it for over two decades. I am getting the single motor version if they ever produce that I will get it in 3 years I have some time to save up, I am 28 years old and can't afford to buy a house but I will be buying the cyber truck because it is only $40,000 and I may not even be able to afford full self-driving but that's okay I can always get it in the future.

Muskwatcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado 1500 LTZ Crewcab, Toyota Avalon
Occupation
Military
Country flag
I fit into a couple of these groups: Techie/SciFi, Camper, Work use, Soccer Dad, Not really greenie revenge but big EV fan.

I will be buying the CyberTruck. It has everything i need, and everything i want with a vehicle in one package.
The only reason I'm not already driving EV is because I have 3 kids in car-seats, and the Model X is out of my price range. For comparison a LR Model X 6 seat w/FSD is $93,490 and only has 351 miles of range. CT has all that in the single motor for $47K.

Kids are the only reason. I currently drive a 2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew-cab, and actively use it as a truck not just a personnel carrier. Besides moving gear around at work, I also haul large item/equipment for family and friends usually 3-4 times a month.

Then i love going on weekend trips with my kids for camping or a river/lake trip and just packing all our gear, and towing the water toys in my truck. Now add the utility of electrical outlets and onboard air compressor. Our trips will be so much easier and better with the CyberTruck.

Now for aesthetics. I honestly love the way the CT looks, and have so from day one. I grew up watching SciFi and it just looks like the future. To top it off i wont have to worry about scratches and dents. :love:
My truck now has 3 dents that happened while it was parked, and a very large gouge across both driver side doors from when my son ran into it with his bike and the handle bars ran the side. Not saying I've never had an accident, but most body damage to vehicle I've owned comes from parking lots or mishaps at home. It will be awesome to not worry about that anymore.

I can not wait til the CyberTruck gets here. Now that my Siverado is paid off the payments are going into a CyberTruck account. So ill only have to finance half and not having to pay for gas any more will make up the difference. I currently spend between $220-$260 a month on gas. If the CyberTruck trimotor has a 200kwh batter a full charge will only cost me $19 here in Arkansas.

I'll be ready for delivery day. :cool:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
“My truck now has 3 dents that happened while it was parked, and a very large gouge across both driver side doors from when my son ran into it with his bike and the handle bars ran the side. Not saying I've never had an accident, but most body damage to vehicle I've owned comes from parking lots or mishaps at home. It will be awesome to not worry about that anymore.“

I agree 100%. I absolutely HATE door dings, scratches, chipped paint, etc. I had PPF applied to the front end of my current truck but I can skip this expense with my Cybertruck.

Being the anal retentive type I am really looking forward to 3mm thick SS body panels. I hope Tesla doesn’t settle for something thinner between now and production.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I definitely cannot afford it. The last car I bought was under $3,000 and I have never bought anything new or almost new. but this car will last over 20 years the cyber truck. And my son who is 10 months old will learn to drive it and it will be probably a 16th birthday present once he is that old. I will buy this car for safety and we'll keep it for over two decades. I am getting the single motor version if they ever produce that I will get it in 3 years I have some time to save up, I am 28 years old and can't afford to buy a house but I will be buying the cyber truck because it is only $40,000 and I may not even be able to afford full self-driving but that's okay I can always get it in the future.
Well Done, You are buying into the fact that it may cost a bunch to purchase, but total cost of ownership will cost your family less than even a used minivan. I agree with you on the FSD also. Don't buy stuff just to have it. Buy it, if you NEED it. It may or may not cost more later, but you know what you're buying is important at that time.

Roslyn

First Name
Roslyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isuzu Tracker II 1988, Ford Explorer 1993
Occupation
Anthropologist
Country flag
from https://cleantechnica.com/2019/11/28/who-is-actually-going-to-buy-a-tesla-cybertruck/

Who Is *Actually* Going To Buy A Tesla Cybertruck?

November 28th, 2019

There’s been all kinds of discussion about how the Tesla Cybertruck compares to conventional pickup trucks, and whether pickup truck drivers will buy the Cybertruck. There’s also been tons of discussion about other types of vehicles it competes with and a diverse range of reasons someone might want this truly unique vehicle. But I like to do two things: 1) cut through fluff and get down to reality, which in this case means figuring out who will go all the way and purchase a Cybertruck (or more), 2) look at such topics as comprehensively as possible (sooner or later).

It seems that now is a good time to look at the various types of people who might actually buy a Cybertruck and for what reasons.

Robotaxi & RoboXYZ operators
— Rahul Sonnad of Tesla made a strong case for why the Cybertruck is the ultimate robotaxi. Short summary: it’s got a ton of cargo space, has seating for 6, is super durable, looks fine even if it does get dings and scratches, is bullet proof (to some degree), has great visibility, is very easy to spot, is a Tesla (many great networking and connectivity benefits). Aside from robotaxi service, the Cybertruck can be used in what I’m calling roboXYZ services — things like package delivery or shuttle services.

Oh yeah, note that if you put $100 in for a preorder now and select the Full Self Driving option, you lock in the $7,000 price for that. The price of Full Self Driving is expected to go up significantly, so locking in that presumably low price for just a $100 preorder deposit seems wise. That’s the core reason I put in $100 and may put in a couple hundred dollars more.

Campers (and will-be campers)
— I’m not a camper. I’m not a truck person. But the first reason I became attracted to the Cybertruck is that it looks like the ultimate camping vehicle and made me want to go camping! Being able to sleep in a climate controlled space if preferred (while out enjoying the wilderness otherwise), offering power outlets for certain electrically powered essentials, providing a beautiful view through the abundant glass, featuring Netflix and other home theater options, offering the best powertrain and body for off-road or at least rural use, and having enough space for all kinds of camping and living gear, there is nothing else like it. Plus, this looks cool:

Tesla-Cybertruck-Camping-e1574405837846.jpg

Blue-collar workers of all sorts
— Some pickup truck owners who use their trucks for actual blue-collar jobs have indicated they don’t think the Cybertruck is a good replacement for their work trucks. Others have exclaimed that there’s nothing so useful and that they enthusiastically put down a preorder for one or more. It seems to depend on both what a person needs and whether they think the many advantages about the Cybertruck beat downsides that stem from the unique design.

Farmers are probably the most obvious workers in this category. While some have indicated that they don’t think the Cybertruck cuts it for their needs, others have claimed the opposite. Here’s a comment from one CleanTechnica reader who is apparently a farmer: “I ordered the tri-motor Cybertruck with FSD for my small ranch. It far exceeds the capabilities of my Ram 1500. So yes, it can be used as a truck and I will definitely buy it. It will also replace my Subaru Forester that I used whenever a truck wasn’t needed, to save fuel.”

City/suburb SUV & pickup drivers
— Naturally (or unnaturally), many people buy a pickup truck or large SUV simply for its looks. Perhaps they use the trucks once in a blue moon, but it’s still important for them to stick to their cult. And whereas pickups and SUVs look like big, macho vehicles to many people, there is nothing so menacing and tough looking as the Cybertruck.

Soccer moms/dads
— Similar to the above, the point here is just that there are many parents who shuttle kids from place to place in what seem like usefully large vehicles, but none of them will be able to hold a candlelight to Mr. Cyber. Aside from the 6 seats, there’s the enormous cargo space, the expected durability, and the home theater system.

Techies & sci-fi fanatics
— Okay, let’s be frank, there are a lot of people who are into the Cybertruck just because of its sci-fi look and familiarity from many a movie or video game. Yes, for people who are not in that culture, the Cybertruck may look like a shocking ugly duckling, but for Halo gamers, it very well may look like the long-awaited perfect vehicle.

Greenies who want revenge
— I’m not sure if this is a big thing, but it’s got to be something. Prius buyers, many of whom have happily switched to Teslas, were the butt of many jokes for years. Tesla drivers occasionally get “ICE’d” by pickup truck drivers at Superchargers, and get rolled with coal. Non-Tesla EV drivers routinely get ICE’d at public charging stations by people who just don’t care about their needs. Some of these greenies are fed up. Having the street’s most intimidating and durable vehicle is quite appealing. No more getting pushed around, bullies, I’m Spider-Man! Will this actually compel some sales? Certainly! Remember, many consumer purchases, and definitely vehicle purchases, are guided heavily by emotions and identity. Related: LOL — Elon’s Tesla Cybertruck Just Turned Manly Man-Trucks Into Princess Wagons.

Hipsters/Millennials/Gen-Zers
— CleanTechnica contributor Frugal Moogal explained very well that the Cybertruck appears to appeal to younger generations much more than older generations for various reasons. My limited experience indicates the same. Perhaps it’s for some of the reasons noted above. Perhaps it’s other reasons related to generational change, culture, and inherently rebelling against your elders. Perhaps it’s simply about being open minded. Whatever it is, though, I think Millennials and Gen-Zers are much more likely to find the Cybertruck visually appealing and appealing as an all-around-utilitarian vehicle.

You may notice that the team that designed and developed the CYBRTRK is on the younger side of average human lifespans (see pic below). Perhaps they just decided to design something for their generation rather than for the neighborhood Boomer’s. (Side note: I find it interesting that, barely being a Millennial, I barely got around to putting my order in within one week of the reveal.) Of course, Elon, as a meme lord, is naturally hip with the young hipsters and has the perfect taste for this demographic.

a-cybertruck-team-franz-von-holzhausen-KYLE-scaled.jpg

But when it comes down to it …

Above are the various groups of people who might be strongly attracted to the Cybertruck (and Emma Watson), but as I already noted, many vehicle purchases are based on emotions — and aesthetics. Actually, I’ve seen it stated that there’s evidence people primarily choose their vehicles based on how they look. (I haven’t seen the actual research on this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s true, or at least half true or one-third true.) The fact is, as much as we like to think of ourselves as a thoughtful, rational species, we often aren’t. So, when it comes down to it, I think there are a couple of things that will attract or repel buyers.

Primal appeal …

I think I explained this in decent depth and style in “LOL — Elon’s Tesla Cybertruck Just Turned Manly Man-Trucks Into Princess Wagons,” so I won’t go on and on about it here. The general point is that pickup trucks are typically marketed to buyers on how macho they are — how strong, tough, durable, able to drive through rivers, and able to climb mountains they are. Truck commercials are narrated by deep and scruffy voices. Muscular men are featured in the ads. Etc., etc. The Cybertruck takes macho, scruffy, tough, durable, long-lasting, intimidating to another level. Ford F-150s and Chevy Silverados now look like Barbie jeeps covered in nail polish. The Cybertruck is the real deal. It appeals to primal, “fight” (rather than “flight”) instincts. That tugs at the strings of many a consumer, including ones who have spent a few decades absorbing the message of truck commercials. It may also push some buyers away who identify more with non-macho adjectives.
This little old lady (5'2", 70 yo) in rural northern British Columbia. Really tired of dealing with dents, paint chips, having to give up my dear (1988) Isuzu Tracker 2 that took a bullet for me (the moose died; I didn't. Solid bush bumper took the force) because it's getting just too rusty. My Ford Explorer gets me where I want to, but I don't feel safe. I'm not a good driver; I think that 'Autopilot', even now, would be better. The mountain highway I drive is notoriously difficult (one of the most beautiful, and dangerous in the world.) As my eyesight & driving skills deteriorate, I hope that 'assisted driving' will help me keep automotive autonomy, even as aged drivers with geriatric vehicles have to give up their licenses ….

Last edited:

Roslyn

First Name
Roslyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anthropologist
Country flag
Repeat from another thread: "I've seen little consideration of what I think will be an important market: little old ladies, like me. Having grown up in the '60s, our minds were opened to consider ways things might be done, not just going along with what the past offered us. Subsequent generations are almost laughably conservative in many ways. We grew up in a much more affluent era, and continue to enjoy its financial advantages. I'm glad for the stainless steel body because it won't rust. It's hard to accept that the '88 Isuzu Trooper II that took a bullet for me (sturdy bush bumper took the force when I hit a moose: Mountie said I probably would not have survived in a 'normal' car) is starting to show rust, and soon will have to be 'put out to pasture'. Even minor body work on 'conventional' is not cheap, body parts crumple, and paint chips and cracks. The Cybertruck avoids this 'planned obsolescence'. Imperfect performance notwithstanding, AutoPilot is still, on average, a much safer driver than human drivers. I've always been a timid driver; Cybertruck will be of great help on less-than-great mountain highways, particularly during the winter. (I saw video of a Tesla avoiding a pig on the road; I'd guess the Cybertruck would avoid moose, too.) And -- of vastly greater significance than has been appreciated -- AutoPilot will give assistance to aging drivers who otherwise might have to give up driving entirely, a terrible restriction, especially where there is no useful public transportation systems. That freedom is almost priceless. OK, jaws are going to drop when a grey-haired, little (5'2", 105 lb.) old (70) lady steps out. But I've ridden dragons .... "

Atomantium

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, reso for CT
Occupation
Solar
Country flag
This little old lady (5'2", 70 yo) in rural northern British Columbia. Really tired of dealing with dents, paint chips, having to give up my dear (1988) Isuzu Tracker 2 that took a bullet for me (the moose died; I didn't. Solid bush bumper took the force) because it's getting just too rusty. My Ford Explorer gets me where I want to, but I don't feel safe. I'm not a good driver; I think that 'Autopilot', even now, would be better. The mountain highway I drive is notoriously difficult (one of the most beautiful, and dangerous in the world.) As my eyesight & driving skills deteriorate, I hope that 'assisted driving' will help me keep automotive autonomy, even as aged drivers with geriatric vehicles have to give up their licenses ….
rural northern BC? Like PG area? You might see me cruising around in one also

Roslyn

First Name
Roslyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anthropologist
Country flag
rural northern BC? Like PG area? You might see me cruising around in one also
Kitwanga. Drop in on your way up the Alaska Highway ....

Captcarnage

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus IS350
Country flag
Me. Baby boomer that doesn't need or really want a truck. All other EV trucks are meh. same old stuff. doesn't move the needle for me.

However the CT is so bad ass that how could I not want one?! Admittedly it did take me a few months to realize that.

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
I had done some cost comparison and analysis on the Jeep Gladiator and was waiting for my Subaru to be paid off and see what kind of hybrid version they would release...

But then the CyberTruck was announced and after comparing it to the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, a Dodge pickup, and a Toyota Tundra, the CyberTruck won out on TCO (total cost ownership) and checked all the features I wanted.

I plan on buying a dual motor with the solar panel option and if I can swing it the FSD (FSD is on my reservation).
I'd say a TKO.

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
I placed 2 orders - A single motor and a tri motor due to indecision.
I will only be taking up one, which will be the tri motor.
I am about 460000 on the list so I bought a Model 3 to use in the meantime.
When my Cybertruck arrives I will pass the Model 3 onto "madam".
I plan to go to Texas to collect my Cybertruck and will road trip slowly back to Virginia.

Roslyn

First Name
Roslyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Anthropologist
Country flag
Boomer, a 'little old lady' (5'2", 105 lb., 70 yrs.) I'm embarrassed that I've posted so often. Technical oops. Sorry. Read on, if you want .... I put down my deposit almost immediately after the Cybertruck presentation. This is my first new car, following a rusty urban '66 VW Bug, then the '88 Isuzu Trooper with the great horking bush bumper that saved my life (but not the moose we hit). Tesla stocks have treated me well: I can afford any vehicle that interests me. I live about 60 km from the nearest pizzeria; the road there is a challenging one, twisting through the mountains. I was over 30 when I learned to drive, and it shows. It would be a godsend not to have to worry about staying on the road during bad weather. Other drivers, particularly truckers, are frustrated by my (legally) ultra-cautious driving style. Even the most basic 'autopilot' feature would make me much safer, for myself and others. Now, I don't have physical troubles that would restrict or even prohibit driving. Now, when an older person is forced to give up their driver's license, it's a major step to the coffin. By then, God willing, there will be fuller 'autopilot'. I look forward, with joy, to a safe, tough, paint-free body. It's bigger than I would normally choose, but it easily facilitates including another family for a grocery trip. Wonder which clothes would be more 'badass' for me -- fashionable black leather jeans & jacket, or like Queen Elizabeth -- bright coat & dress w/matching flowery hat. I wonder what Elon would think of this ....

Last edited:

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I wanted this truck for a few reasons. The 3mm thick SS exoskeleton and Armor Glass is a 180 from the “planned obsolescence“ mentality of all other pickup truck manufacturers. These two items REALLY appealed to me. The CT monocoque body should last 50+ years, even for CT’s that reside in the rust belt states. A huge bonus for owners will be occupant safety and the the futuristic outside-of-the-box styling.

The CT was a huge gamble by Tesla and makes all other pickup trucks currently available look dated and tired. The Titan, Endurance, Tundra, Ram, Silverado And F150 all follow the same cookie cutter mold. A cab and bed sitting on a traditional ladder frame. Then come up with a styling refresh and a few appealing goodies every 5-8 years. It always struck me that car and truck refreshes always happen on the same time schedule as convention auto loans. It’s not a coincidence!
Tesla Cybertruck Article: Who Is *Actually* Going To Buy A Tesla Cybertruck? A7FDEC2F-6234-497E-846E-C540F2EFCB1C
Sponsored