Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
So, if I'm in the garage fkn' around, as I tend to do, will the door on the X in the driveway pop open?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So, if I'm in the garage fkn' around, as I tend to do, will the door on the X in the driveway pop open?
Doesn’t seem to pop until you are close. Doesn’t open until you are right in the spot where you need to be to open.

My Model Y doesn’t present the doors, but it only unlocks when I am next to the drivers door or if I pull a handle. If I’m at the frunk for example, it won’t open. Trust me… I locked my phone in the frunk so I know!

A while back they had some videos where they had circles taped around the doors. I think they were locking this bit down.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Did you mean ChEValry? ;) A modern twist on a classic theme....
Don't joke, they tried to take credit for truck gates opening sideways a few months ago.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Yes!!! From the prototypes we've seen that the Cybertruck's doors can unlatch and soft close; the only outstanding capability missing in order to match what the X currently does is the ability to electro-mechanically articulate at various angles depending on object detection.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Generally the size of the CT doors are a problem and will cause some issues when in close quarter parking. They should be front and rear sliding doors, or pop and rotate, or smaller area, and thinner as well, so it's easier to get in in out through a partially opened door that is being blocked by another nearby car or wall. CT SS doors will also be cause of many parking dings to other vehicles.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Generally the size of the CT doors are a problem and will cause some issues when in close quarter parking. They should be front and rear sliding doors, or pop and rotate, or smaller area, and thinner as well, so it's easier to get in in out through a partially opened door that is being blocked by another nearby car or wall.

CT SS doors will also be cause of many parking dings to other vehicles.
They should be grateful to wear them dings as badges of honor. Like, their brush with greatness.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Generally the size of the CT doors are a problem and will cause some issues when in close quarter parking. They should be front and rear sliding doors, or pop and rotate, or smaller area, and thinner as well, so it's easier to get in in out through a partially opened door that is being blocked by another nearby car or wall. CT SS doors will also be cause of many parking dings to other vehicles.
People manage to park in big trucks too.

You can always raise the suspension to max, and just walk across the roof of the neighboring cars. Then you won’t give them a door ding.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
We used to have forward control 4x4s where the front doors opened accross the top of the hoods of the cars parked next to us. That made it easy to get in and out, except for the climbing up over the 38" wheels. I always wanted a rear door and walk through van/cab because of that. So easy for shopping with a big vehicle.

To be honest though I'm still somewhat surprised that none of the manufacturers think its worthwhile to make a better door opening system than the good ole hinged barn door method. I mean the MX rear doors are nice looking but functionally way to complicated. I still think the pop and slide, or pop and pivot doors would work best for virtually any car, van or truck.
Sponsored