Autoline: Has Cybertruck Changed Pickup Design?

Gozer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram
Occupation
Engineering technician
Country flag
What? Why is it not a truck? I'm a truck guy and it can do anything any of my trucks can do a bunch of crap it can't.

It is not a truck because some guy on the internet says it isn't?

Tesla Cybertruck Autoline: Has Cybertruck Changed Pickup Design? d09151fa496b5aab735e3d25bd04eca4

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
This conversation is like trying to determine if a transgender person is a male or female. Classification is more of a scientific approach and Luke looks at it like art. Maybe a Picasso but art all the same. In the end it is all up to your definition of a subject. I agree with AJ’s logic. The CT is a truck because it fits the broad definition of truck. I also agree that it is more than a truck.
In the end I will never say it is like a car/truck combination.

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
This conversation is like trying to determine if a transgender person is a male or female. Classification is more of a scientific approach and Luke looks at it like art. Maybe a Picasso but art all the same. In the end it is all up to your definition of a subject. I agree with AJ’s logic. The CT is a truck because it fits the broad definition of truck. I also agree that it is more than a truck.
In the end I will never say it is like a car/truck combination.
Well said. And with that, let's all please end the "truck" semantics discussion here. Thank you.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes the CT will impact the design of all trucks going forward. It may not be a visible impact however every manufacturer will now either compare or contrast to the CT. The CT is already driving innovation in the future truck design because it is different. The power rolling vault cover, the strength, the speed and the bold look all will force future changes in the truck segment.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The really Obvious answer that is 100% correct is YES. Emphatically yes!

Because when one vehicle design completely replaces another it has effectively changed that other vehicle's design.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There are two aspects to this. The engineering and the styling. The engineering is evolutionary. Tesla is already making electric vehicles with switched reluctance motors. If the CT contains evolutionary new technology (unobtainium oxide cathode chemistry) that confers a large benefit (much higher specific energy) then other manufacturers will adopt that technology and they will use it until some later evolution or revolutionary technology sends it the way of the Kettering ignition system, In this sense the CT will have no more long terms influence on future esigns than the S and X.

The other side of the coin is style. Stainless has been used before as has the dihedral planar envelope. The future influence of this form on the market will depend on the markets acceptance. If "Cyber" becomes modish, as did fins, then there will be lots of Cyber imitators. If the market rejects it, it will go away quickly. The beauty of the "Cyber" concept is that there is also a great engineering benefit to it. It's cheaper to manufacture.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I've seen quotes like this about twenty times on this forum and it's starting to piss me off.

Most of the Pick-up trucks driven today aren't purchased because the buyer wants to "truck" stuff. Most trucks are purchased so a guy can be up high, in a mainly enclosed glass/see-through command center as he goes down the road. And he can be seen as being an active member of society with unlimited potential to "git er done."
You city boys just don't know what the hell you're talking about. Now I'm a city boy too, and I can see why you'd think that that's how it is. Where you are, that's what you see.
But it just isn't so. The reason most pickups are purchased has nothing to do with what you said.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
There are a lot of people who buy trucks as a people hauler and also as a status symbol. However there are also a lot of people that need a truck 1-2 days a month and it makes sense to have only 1 vehicle. Then there are people who need a truck, use a truck, and cannot make a living without a truck. The pickup market is huge and to pick out one group and say they represent all pickup owners only suits the persons point of view. In the end it does not matter why a person buys a truck, they are still going to buy a truck. To a manufacturer it is one more product sold.

Cybe

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla is excluding a large portion of the truck market with the bed design. It''s not a viable design for the market who actually need to use it as a working truck and access the bed from the sides.. I would venture a guess that a large percentage of the orders will cancel if it isn't redesigned prior to coming to market. It's a novelty right now and it waseasy to throw $100 down on the hopes they will refine it into a usable "truck". Namely, redesign that bed where you can gain access from the sides.....retracting, hinged, however it may be.....then they have a chance.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
Tesla is excluding a large portion of the truck market with the bed design. It''s not a viable design for the market who actually need to use it as a working truck and access the bed from the sides.. I would venture a guess that a large percentage of the orders will cancel if it isn't redesigned prior to coming to market. It's a novelty right now and it waseasy to throw $100 down on the hopes they will refine it into a usable "truck". Namely, redesign that bed where you can gain access from the sides.....retracting, hinged, however it may be.....then they have a chance.
I liked the ability to put things in the back short term and reach over and pull it out over the side, but that's because I have a single cab truck, and can't put groceries in the back seat area. When I get gas, (for the mower), I would put it behind the cab, but I am not that lazy, I can take a couple more steps to the back and put it there.

Of course after 30 years of driving trucks, perhaps I'm using it wrong, but as far as it goes, trying to stretch and reach things behind the cab, isn't a deal breaker for me, I'll be happy to have t-track and tie down next to the tail gate.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Predict the market will adapt instead of shunning. The main decision, does electric fit the users range needs? If yes, CyberTruck is a strong option. When released, the details will be known if the truck supports niche needs. If he required boxes are checked off for the user, I do not see a better electric offering when summing up the features and costs.

Do you know of other options? The Rivian’s shorter bed would not be a viable option considering the criticisms request a longer bed.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The main decision, does electric fit the users range needs? If yes, CyberTruck is a strong option.
It will for some and it won't for others. It will clearly be fine for the guy who wants to occasionally haul a couple of bags of quick mix concrete from the Home Despot and that's going, IMO, to be far and away the biggest market for these vehicles. It's going to be adequate for the guy that wants to haul his ATV out to his hunting cabin in deer season. If they didn't think that an appreciable market they wouldn't be offering the Cyberquad. It's going to be adequate for the guy who runs a lawn business and wants to pull a trailer full of lawn mowers around town and it going to be plenty for people who want to pull a modest sized camper out to the country from time to time. It is not going to be adequate for people who want to pull a 14,000 lb fifth wheel rig from Florida to Oregon.

As the trucks become available and people start reporting their experiences on forums like this one future potential buyers will become educated as to what one can practically do with them and what he cannot.
Sponsored