Autoline: Has Cybertruck Changed Pickup Design?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I will be replacing my mid size ICE pickup truck with a full size BEV Cybertruck pickup.

The CT won’t require any badging because it’s such an iconic vehicle. The general public will know the truck and it’s name because every media outlet in the world will do a story on the Cybertruck once it hits the streets. It will be all over social media, TV, radio, YouTube, internet, etc.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Metallica1776

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 ford F-350, 2013 Ford F-250 Econoline coming soon the Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales Manager, Small Engine and Power Equipment Technician. Auto Technician
Country flag
"Design" and "engineer" are not interchangeable per Biggee Ee. I did not think there was much of a difference till he made me reflect on the two words.
Engineering involves making something that does or accomplishes a specific task.
Designing is deciding on how to build a product as to how it will be perceived by the senses, and interact with the body.
The engineering of the Cyber was the priority. The design is the silly crap that is about as important as the color of the steering wheel. Elon "engineered" the damn thing to be great, and then got stupid playing with the design. It will be a long time before a pick-up truck manufacturer emulates this "design", and even longer before they properly engineer a vehicle.
And it isn't a truck. Elon admits as much without actually telling the boys that identify as being "Truck men." He even refrains from calling the space under the rolldown door a "bed." He refers to it as a "vault."
As to your application of the Google definition of a "truck." It was "designed" to do many things.... almost the least of which is to carry cargo. By Google's definition a three wheel Cushman mail carrier from the 1960's is more of a truck than the Cyber. less than 10% of the people are buying to carry cargo. And of those less than half will actually use it for that purpose more than half the time.
Elon refers toit as "Something other than a truck", as a suburban "armored personnel carrier", and a "tank."
To call it a "truck" denigrates it.
Elon's marketing team set out to attract the people that buy a pick-up by building a utility vehicle above all else. Adding "truck" to the name was done to hook the truck people into buying it. By doing so he calmed their fears of being to odd in their communities. They can call it a "truck." And by doing so retain a bit of sanity in their grand pappy's eyes.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
"Design" and "engineer" are not interchangeable per Biggee Ee. I did not think there was much of a difference till he made me reflect on the two words.
Engineering involves making something that does or accomplishes a specific task.
Designing is deciding on how to build a product as to how it will be perceived by the senses, and interact with the body.
The engineering of the Cyber was the priority. The design is the silly crap that is about as important as the color of the steering wheel. Elon "engineered" the damn thing to be great, and then got stupid playing with the design. It will be a long time before a pick-up truck manufacturer emulates this "design", and even longer before they properly engineer a vehicle.
And it isn't a truck. Elon admits as much without actually telling the boys that identify as being "Truck men." He even refrains from calling the space under the rolldown door a "bed." He refers to it as a "vault."
As to your application of the Google definition of a "truck." It was "designed" to do many things.... almost the least of which is to carry cargo. By Google's definition a three wheel Cushman mail carrier from the 1960's is more of a truck than the Cyber. less than 10% of the people are buying to carry cargo. And of those less than half will actually use it for that purpose more than half the time.
Elon refers toit as "Something other than a truck", as a suburban "armored personnel carrier", and a "tank."
To call it a "truck" denigrates it.
Elon's marketing team set out to attract the people that buy a pick-up by building a utility vehicle above all else. Adding "truck" to the name was done to hook the truck people into buying it. By doing so he calmed their fears of being to odd in their communities. They can call it a "truck." And by doing so retain a bit of sanity in their grand pappy's eyes.
Wow, mind blown. ? Elon is stupid? By his design? I think it was Franz von Holzhausen who is the designer who’s the face behind the Cyber truck. Yea. From what I gather he is a bold designer.? Elon, is good at making smart decisions that involve “RISK” I’m seriously confused and a little shocked by your statements. Also,
Is it a bed or a vault? Really? It’s both. My eyes can see it. You said Elon stated or admits it’s not a truck? I’m lost. Is this BEV called a Cybertruck? That’s what I ordered. It’s a truck. But, not your everyday truck your talking about. This truck is THE FUTURE! ?? It’s like a Swiss Army knife made into a truck. Also, it can handle like a sports car at higher speeds. What truck can you drive where it stops feeling like a truck when you are on the freeway? Cybertruck is that vehicle. From what I gather, people are hard at work to give you their rendition of Tesla’s Ideas in their “I saw your idea and now I want to get a piece of the pie” package. ? me? I like OG. Originality is my thing. Copy cats? Well, they are just that. A rendition of someone else’s idea. This is why I own a Tesla and why I own Apple Phone and love my current Tesla and Apple products. Sorry the Cyber truck is not for you. I wish I could help you see that the CT is and will be everything and more, but you will probably take me as a snake oil salesman ??? . I have a few friends and family members who thought that and now they openly wish they listened to me.? Research. It’s medicine for the mind. I have this feeling your not going to be a CT owner?

Well, until.......

your friend takes you on a ride In his Tri motor ?

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I cannot wait to have this beautifully designed CT in my driveway. My wife and I love to go on trips and the CT is going to be our chance to see the world around us much safer. So I wait for truck with bigger wheels? cuz these little wheels on our Model 3 LR AWD while In FSD in Cali, keep me on my toes cuz of pot holes. ?No shit!!!!!
last night we explored and enjoyed a beautiful Cali sunset.
Tesla Cybertruck Autoline: Has Cybertruck Changed Pickup Design? B95ED060-F4F9-4BD3-A8F3-26BDD0326B2E

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
One of the joys of owning a pickup is not worrying about potholes when driving. My current Tacoma with TRD Fox shocks eats 'em up?

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Mini2nut I was just kidding? . I already own that plate. If you really like CYBR ON, that’s cool. I Totally appreciate that. This is not only my user name ?but also my Personal plate as well?. I have ordered it black 60’s to be put on current ICE vehicle. It’s been a long while. Couple months. COVID crap. Should have pretty soon I’m guessing. When I get trailer together, “CYBR ON” Will take place for my trailer. I also have another plate on order that seems to be a bit controversial to some? This will be my Personal plate For my CT. “V2G” Anyways, if you are looking to put one together for yourself, I will help and share some ideas. ?
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...-you-ordered-yours-yet.1139/reply?quote=13211

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I paid $50 for “30X SS” but the DMV rejected it. Just as well since Tesla is fiddling with SS formula.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don’t change the original design. First impressions count the most.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
No. No it hasn't. And I have no concept of why they thought it would.
It may impact production and engineering, but the design of the Cyber isn't going to be mirrored.
It isn't even a "truck."
Definition of truck is a vehicle with an enclosed cab and an open cargo space. So yes its a truck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Definition of truck is a vehicle with an enclosed cab and an open cargo space. So yes its a truck.
I think you are referring to the definition of a "pickup truck". Which the Cybertruck meets.

The term truck is a lot more broad and doesn't even necessarily have any cargo space. Some have enclosed cargo space.

</nit>

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
I think you are referring to the definition of a "pickup truck". Which the Cybertruck meets.

The term truck is a lot more broad and doesn't even necessarily have any cargo space. Some have enclosed cargo space.

</nit>
Here, I looked up the actual Websters definition for perusal and edification (not shown are 2., 3. and 4, which are definitions of trucks on freight cars, gun carriages and flagpoles).

Truck:
1: a wheeled vehicle for moving heavy articles: such as
a: a strong horse-drawn or automotive vehicle (such as a pickup) for hauling
b: an automotive vehicle with a short chassis equipped with a swivel for attaching a trailer and used especially for the highway hauling of freightalso : a truck with attached trailer
c: a small barrow consisting of a rectangular frame having at one end a pair of handles and at the other end a pair of small heavy wheels and a projecting edge to slide under a load
— called also hand truck
d: a small heavy rectangular frame supported on four wheels for moving heavy objects
e: a small flat-topped car pushed or pulled by hand
f: a shelved stand mounted on casters

And because someone might bring it up, here's Websters definition for Pickup (Truck).

Pickup
: a light truck having an enclosed cab and an open body with low sides and tailgate
— called also pickup truck

Now we need a definition of a light truck.
Car and Driver says the the US Government designation for a light truck is "vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight up to 8500 pounds and payload capacities up to 4000 pounds." Just before its launch week Tesla said "we expect it to have a towing capacity of 7,500-14,000+ lbs., and it should very likely qualify as a “Class 2B-3” medium-duty vehicle." So it will likely be classified by the USG as a light-medium duty truck or a medium duty truck.

Is the Cybertruck a wheeled vehicle for moving heavy articles?

Yes, so, it's a truck... A light/medium duty truck

And as a truck, is it a light truck with an enclosed cab and an open body with low sides and tailgate? The vault cover can be opened, it has mostly low sides and a tailgate. Let's assume that a light/medium duty truck fits Webster's "light truck", so,

Yes, so, it's a pickup truck... A light/medium duty pickup truck

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve never been so polarized and perplexed in my life.
Sponsored