Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
I waxed almost the entirity of my vehicle prior to my long a$$ drive to campus. On the way, my vehicle attained a ton of bird crappings and love bugs (whole front bumper was covered in dead bugs). After a huge downpour between Miami-Dade and Broward, the dead bugs and bird crappings were gone. I suspect this was due to the paste type of wax that I took a whole weekend to apply on all the panels. Considering the MDX has more panels to cover for wax compared to the CT, I wonder if it will be shorter in time to complete the wax part of the vehicle.

I also decided to run my car through the Shell automated car wash across campus that has those scratch yo paint style brushes but cost like $3 to wash, and pretty sure those things caused some serious scratches.

With the combination of stupidity, laziness and intelligence, if I do run the CT through one of these types of car washes, with wax applied, would I see moderate to severe scratches or would be able to buff off?
Sponsored

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Nylon brushes aren't going to scratch stainless steel.
Oh boy, I really hate to throw a wrench into the premise that nothing is going to scratch the CT.

We have no idea what the production CT will look like (panel finish-wise), but it is completely possible that a standard nylon brushed car wash can do damage.

A cloth car wash is much less likely to do any damage.

Come to think of it, are there any nylon brushed car washes still out there?

Last edited:

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
My stainless steel appliances sure scratch easily. I sure hope the CT steel will be as good as they promise.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
My stainless steel appliances sure scratch easily. I sure hope the CT steel will be as good as they promise.
Stainless steel appliances are worlds apart from industrial grade stainless. I work in wineries every day with massive tanks made of polished 310 food grade stainless steel and those are pretty tricky to scratch unless you're really trying and using a tool to do it. I'm hoping that the 30X stainless of our trucks is that tough.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Come to think of it, are there any nylon brush washed still out there?
They must be out there somewhere. I saw a posting in social media where someone had convinced themselves that a bristle from the carwash that stuck to their license plate was some kind of signal used by human traffickers. So, yeah, some of them must still be in use somewhere.

OP
OP
datechboss101

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
Do you people stay awake at night trying to think up new things to worry about? I'm sure it'll be fine.
I actually try to wash my cars at night, cuz its Florida! But this actually gets worse in day time.

Hence why I ask, cuz I tend to take my cars to these types of washes if I don't feel like to hand wash it.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Okay, so it's stainless steel, rocket grade stainless steel, 3mm thick, and it's cold rolled to boot. So I'm not gonna sweat it. In 50 million years when aliens finally land here on our cold dead planet, the only evidence that we were ever here may very well be...the Cybertruck.

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
Okay this should be good. What is it that you think you were **promised**?

OP
OP
datechboss101

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
We were promised hardened stainless. Hence the score and fold manufacturing.

-Crissa
I honestly hope Tesla keeps this promise and not give us lower-end scratchable stainless steel because some Kens and Karens over at the DOT said so.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I honestly hope Tesla keeps this promise and not give us lower-end scratchable stainless steel because some Kens and Karens over at the DOT said so.
I don't think so. DOT rules are super... bad? They just care that it crumples at vehicle-impact energy levels, which is way above what would dent normally. Never buy a helmet just because it has a DOT rating for instance - make sure it has ECE or Snell.

And the relatively scooped hood and ability to shrink down its height will make it relatively safe for pedestrians.

-Crissa

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Washing your cybertruck is fine, but waxing is just nuts. Anybody who waxes Cybertruck should be hung, drawn and quartered
Sponsored

Last edited: