Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Sorry guys I was hoping that the battery replacement would be affordable like $10K in the future because of the production cost is going down fast. Apparently I may be wrong but hopeful.
Sure it's going down, but not necessarily as fast as one will hope. Model 3 and Model Y battery packs aren't that cheap yet.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Im hoping the range extender leverages the dead space....doesnt use bed space, adds 40-50kw, not an additional 100+kw...so good balance between usable range and not outweighing the Hummer / Chevy Avalanche EV
You can hope, but opening a battery pack in the field isn't something that you will see for many years. AFAIK, these are assembled in somewhat "clean rooms"
Take a look at the Cybertruck Service manuals for the protective gear that Tesla requires for a technician to just disconnect the battery.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Question: Is the 4680 batteries produced in Austin will improve its energy density in the future?? correct
maybe, but my thoughts are Tesla wants to sell you the extra range for $15k......there are so many things changed from the original reveal and it doesn't matter what happened durning the time of reveal to release...... Tesla has gamed us all.....500 mile range to less than 350 miles, being the biggest disappointment.

Knucklehead

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
How many times have you not been able to make it to your destination?
That is a really low bar.

Maybe that explains why I disagree with you regarding the importance of range?

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag

I want 500 miles plus unless tesla builds the following everywhere 1950s-style diner and drive-in movie theater in Hollywood that will also be a Supercharger station with 32 charging stalls or more.

Then I can stop and enjoy my burger and beer. I am planning to tow a trailer and enjoy what nature offer us with family and friends.

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
I want 500 miles plus unless tesla builds the following everywhere 1950s-style diner and drive-in movie theater in Hollywood that will also be a Supercharger station with 32 charging stalls or more.

Then I can stop and enjoy my burger and beer. I am planning to tow a trailer and enjoy what nature offer us with family and friends.
And you would need to stop and eat a burger every hour so it would cause you to put on weight, which would in turn further reduce your range :)

500+ is coming almost certainly

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
And you would need to stop and eat a burger every hour so it would cause you to put on weight, which would in turn further reduce your range :)

500+ is coming almost certainly
Life is too short to worry about eating a burger and gaining a little weight. Apple cider vinegar will take care of your blood sugar and walking around every hour will make you fitter than sitting around in a car for hours. ha ha ha

I want my truck for now.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Elon and Tesla has indicated that for all of their cars, they start out upside down. They start making money when they can optimize the production process and increase quantity. With an increase in quantity, they can get better prices from the parts manufacturers.
That's true of all manufacturing.

-Crissa

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

How much have you driven a Tesla? You may not be familiar with how well Teslas travel.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's true of all manufacturing.

-Crissa
true, but long range contracts are already let for a certain period of time or quantity.....and they will get better going forward depending on production rates

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
true, but long range contracts are already let for a certain period of time or quantity.....and they will get better going forward depending on production rates
There absolutely is room in the contracts for the prices to change. It is done all the time.

The car manufacturer has a lot of sway, because they can always move to a different parts maker.

mprimo

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, BMW X6
Occupation
US Government
Country flag
This is encouraging on all points. Yes, I have a RN113 # and won’t see an order invite till December but think of all the improvements/ information available by then. Did Tesla create this space intentionally only to offer taller batteries at a later date ? They are offering the range extender for $17,000. But maybe that is just to check the market demand for more miles and they will bait/switch to a taller battery for only $10k??
Would be awesome if that’s the case. Instead of the extender, you just get a new pack or they upgrade your current pack with more modules.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Would be awesome if that’s the case. Instead of the extender, you just get a new pack or they upgrade your current pack with more modules.
Yeah, but not what they said they were going to do.

Being able to remanufacture battery packs would be cool, though.

Still, that extra space in them is huge.

-Crissa

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Are you really thinking that Tesla didn't realize that there was extra space in the battery shell? That Sandy's teaser was actually news to Tesla?

If extending or replacing the existing battery was option, why would they have even thought about the battery extender?

(I wish Sandy would hurry up and prove how stupid this thread is)
Sponsored