Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
cherry picking
Oh, hey, it's a light dusting of old snow on grass.

Because that totally represents a large number of truck miles!

Seems like you're continuing to derail the conversation and move the goalposts.

-Crissa

PS with a completely dry road in the background!
It is the end of the winter. winter time different part of my home.

View attachment 43371
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
This is my real world not a map. This is my backyard not yours. It snows, it hails, it rains, wind up to 40 miles per hour. All I am saying I need more range because if you cannot make it you tow it. Not a beach town.
I'm not really sure what that picture is trying to say. Except that it looks the same to an ICE as an EV. I didn't see a gas station in the picture, nor charger.

These "My needs or more than yours..." are worthless, especially if there's a non-Tesla owner in the conversation.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
cherry picking

It is the end of the winter. winter time different part of my home.

View attachment 43371
Dude, you said:

You are sitting in a beach town arguing with me about range. When you live in real rugged mountain west where it snows,
And I showed a picture of mountains, with snow, which happened to actually affect roads, as opposed to your dry roads picture.

All because you can't admit you said
...but show me any delivered cybertruck achieved the 300 miles or even close.
...Which clearly has been proven out, the truck totally can do that.

I both live in the mountains, where it clearly snows, and am right about the truck, which clearly can reach 300 miles range.

-Crissa

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Oh, hey, it's a light dusting of old snow on grass.

Because that totally represents a large number of truck miles!

Seems like you're continuing to derail the conversation and move the goalposts.

-Crissa

PS with a completely dry road in the background!

Cherry picking statements again.

Cybertruc range the truth it varies

The real-world range tests of the Tesla Cybertruck have yielded varying results, with different testing methodologies and conditions impacting the outcomes. Here's a summary of the range tests conducted by various entities:

Edmunds EV Range Test: Edmunds conducted a comprehensive test on the dual-motor Tesla Cybertruck Foundation Series with all-terrain tires and achieved 334 miles, which exceeded Tesla's estimate of 318 miles for this particular version. They plan to retest the Cybertruck with aero covers once Tesla resolves an issue related to tire wear[1][2][7][12].

Car and Driver Real-World Highway Range Test: The 2024 Tesla Cybertruck Beast, which is a tri-motor version with a claimed range of 301 miles by Tesla, managed to go 250 miles on a full charge during Car and Driver's 75-mph real-world highway range test[3][14][15].

Out of Spec Reviews conducted an unofficial range test and reported that the Cybertruck lasted 254 miles, which is around 79% of Tesla's advertised 320-mile range. This test was performed at highway speeds in temperatures around 45 degrees Fahrenheit[4][13][17].

Tesla Cybertruck Owners' Experience: Owners who drove the Cybertruck for over 10,000 miles reported a maximum range of 206 miles with a full battery and 164 miles with an 80% state of charge. These figures were obtained under real-world driving conditions, including highway and city roads[9].

MotorTrend Road-Trip Range Test: MotorTrend's test of the 2024 Tesla Cybertruck Dual Motor Foundation Series resulted in a range of 224 miles, which is 94 miles less than the official 318-mile range. Their test was conducted at a constant 70 mph[8].

Reddit User Discussions: Discussions on Reddit reveal that real-world range can vary significantly based on driving conditions, with some users reporting ranges between 164 to 210 miles. Towing capacity and aggressive driving were also mentioned as factors affecting the range[11].

Car and Driver Aerodynamics Test**: Car and Driver found that the Cybertruck's real-world range drops from 250 to 225 miles with the tonneau cover open. When driven at 65 mph with the top closed, they predicted a range of 295 miles[14].

These tests indicate that the real-world range of the Tesla Cybertruck can vary widely depending on factors such as driving speed, temperature, tire type, and whether the vehicle is towing a load. It's important to note that the Cybertruck's range is also affected by aerodynamic factors such as the tonneau cover being open or closed and the presence of aero wheel covers.

Citations:

[1] https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tesla-cybertruck-ev-range-test.html

[2] https://insideevs.com/news/710629/tesla-cybertruck-range-test-beats-epa/

[3] https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60131308/2024-tesla-cybertruck-250-miles-real-world-range-test/

[4] https://www.businessinsider.com/tes...eal-world-youtube-less-than-advertised-2024-1

[5]

[6]

[7] https://www.arenaev.com/tesla_cybertruck_range_test_reveals_some_surprises-news-3194.php

[8] https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...otor-real-world-range-and-fast-charging-test/

[9] https://insideevs.com/news/705279/tesla-cybertruck-10k-mile-owner-review-range-problems/

[10] https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-range-test-full-charge/

[11]

[12] https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...-334-miles-exceeding-estimated-range-👍.12560/

[13] https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-s-real-world-range-test-254-miles/

[14] https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60200909/2024-tesla-cybertruck-aerodynamics-affect-range-tests/

[15] https://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/cybertruck

[16]

[17]

[18] https://www.thestreet.com/electric-...rtrucks-range-broke-another-of-elons-promises

[19]

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
By the end of the day, we are all tesla fans and want to get as much good experience as possible by buying a tesla instead of a diesel. 300 miles or 240 miles we just accept the fact that is what Tesla is offering now and will get better in the future.

You guys live in an area where you have plenty of support (more Tesla Fans), I am in an area where when many see a tesla they puke. We are pioneers in the country side of this part of America. Tesla will have success in areas like where I am because of us. I ordered and installed Starlink then showed my friends, co workers, and neighbors the system and how much download and upload and how easy to install. many of them ordered starlink in the countryside. In my birthday, my co workers gave me a laminated picture of Model X instead of a gift card. Making fun or having fun. I hope that this back and forth are just educational discussion and no heart feeling.
None of us in this forum are guys out there to hurt tesla but we are trying to teach, educate, raise issues so that tesla as a company improve its product.
the conversation stops now, I am not going to reply to any other replies to range discussion.
Maybe, this is just maybe, you will admit to making this error:

...but show me any delivered cybertruck achieved the 300 miles or even close.
-Crissa

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Facts are facts you cherry picking
Are you that stubborn to admit that people have gotten a lot closer than you thought?

I mean, the EPA numbers are not made up. They are from actual testing. Follow the testing scenarios and you'll get the range.
Stay below 60 and you'll get the range.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Are you that stubborn to admit that people have gotten a lot closer than you thought?

I mean, the EPA numbers are not made up. They are from actual testing. Follow the testing scenarios and you'll get the range.
Stay below 60 and you'll get the range.
the range estimate for the cybertruck were provided by Tesla not by the EPA. The EPA has not published an official range estimate for the cybertruck. tesla conducted its own range tests based on its own internal testing not by the EPA.

Real world estimates are important because it tells us real ranges under certain condition. I posted some differences in estimates from many sources. We are stock in the 300 miles yet forgetting that it is not the case under different conditions of the testing. Somehow in this thread someone is cherry picking from overall picture of a paragraph discussing ranges.

It is true that if you drive 55 miles per hour or 60 miles per hour you will get a better range compared to driving at 75 miles per hour. However, many drive more than 60 miles per hour on freeways or some highways with some exceptions.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
the range estimate for the cybertruck were provided by Tesla not by the EPA. The EPA has not published an official range estimate for the cybertruck. tesla conducted its own range tests based on its own internal testing not by the EPA.

Real world estimates are important because it tells us real ranges under certain condition. I posted some differences in estimates from many sources. We are stock in the 300 miles yet forgetting that it is not the case under different conditions of the testing. Somehow in this thread someone is cherry picking from overall picture of a paragraph discussing ranges.

It is true that if you drive 55 miles per hour or 60 miles per hour you will get a better range compared to driving at 75 miles per hour. However, many drive more than 60 miles per hour on freeways or some highways with some exceptions.
I'm not sure if you are arguing against what I said or for it.

The EPA tests are highly standardized tests that every automaker must follow. The standards do change periodically. The EPA tried to make the standards representative of an average driving profile.

One of the biggest misunderstandings is between City and highway tests and how cars react to them. The first thing to understand is that the City tests are weighted more heavily, because the majority of miles are driven under City type conditions. 70 mph driving is not that common for most people.
And with that comes the big difference between an EV and an ICE. An EV does much better in the City tests. An ICE does terrible. An idling ICE is all smoke (that's why you see so many start/stop features now).
Highway driving is a different story and even more different than most people think.
An EVs economy is a simple math with air resistance equation, the faster you go, the harder the air pushes and the effect it exponential.
While the same thing happens to an ICE, there's more impacting it. The first is that an ICE has a optimal operation range. It looks like a U when charted out. You want to always be at the bottom of the U, where the engine is most efficient. How do you do it? With gears. So a manufacturer will calculate gear ratios so that the engine stays at optimal speeds at common travel speeds. And guess what, there's probably optimization for 60-70 mph. BUT, go above this or below this, in the same gear and economy suffers.
So unbelievable to many, at 75-80 mph, your ICE isn't going to hit it's economy either.

Here's a pretty good article on what goes into the EPA EV Fuel Economy test.
Here’s how the EPA calculates how far an EV can go on a full charge | Ars Technica

Knucklehead

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
You say that it's not range anxiety, you just don't like to be forced to stop. Think of it anyways you want, but ANY vehicle today will make you stop. (Except for a train/bus with overhead cam)
Range anxiety means you are worried you cannot make it to the next refueling stop. It happens with ICEVs as well as BEVs. So no, that is not what I am talking about. Because you are right about one thing: Tesla has done an excellent job of building a network of refueling locations that practically eliminate range anxiety.

And yet again, I have to explain that it isn't what I am talking about. I am talking about the fact that I hate being forced to stop. Yes, I am forced to stop with ICEVs, and I hate that also. But guess what? On a road trip, it is a non-event. I don't have to plan where we stop. I can decide where we want to eat, pee, whatever, and then grab some gas at the same time.

As much as Tesla has eliminated range anxiety, they have not duplicated the number of refueling locations that currently exist for ICEVs, right? Right. I want a BEV that allows me to approximate my experience in a ICEV. Which means longer range. Period.

I am not complaining about the CT range. I am just disappointed. I am following this forum for several reasons, but one reason was my excitement about a 500-mile BEV. Now that it does not exist, I am disappointed. Not complaining, just disappointed. And I am not interested in a 300-mile range CT. A 500-mile range CT, very much on my list. If they ever build the extender, which I seriously doubt, I will consider it.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee can go 500+ miles between refueling stops on the highway. Why do I have to settle for less in a BEV?

Plugging and charging is very nice, but really not better than gas refueling even at a SC station.

And I really, really hate stopping before I want to stop.
What this mindset never seems to acknowledge is the time spend going from home to gas station, then on to your trip, be it daily commute/ use, or longer distance travel.

I challenge this mindset to accurately acknowledge time spend on liquid fueling activities. It is not trivial.

It takes me less than 60 seconds to "fill up" my EV. That's the time to plug in after parking in my garage, and unplug before departing.

When I had my ICEmobile, I timed from leaving my garage, going to gas station, and then initial point on the highway by my house (let's call it 20 minutes). Spoiler alert-- in my EV, it took a lot less time to go from garage to highway (let's call it 10 minutes). And multiplied by once a week (or what ever), the time to refuel ICE takes longer.

500 miles between refueling stops on a road trip is 7 -9 hours of elapsed time--if one did not stop. Really? you want to sit that long? Pee in a cup while driving or something? Its not healthy.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
At first glance Sandy gave the impression 32mm was the total height but after looking at it again in more detail the referenced 32mm must not include the exposed portion of the fiberglass member but just the aluminum stringer (25mm) plus the additional height from the stamped cover (6-7mm). Compare with his finger here:

Tesla Cybertruck Battery Pack Teardown Photos Reveals Empty Spaces (Sandy Munro Live) 4680 pack bottom

That's a lot more encouraging for the prospect of an eventual pack with a taller cell as they could theoretically fit something taller than a 4695.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I agree that 300 miles is a good number but show me any delivered cybertruck achieved the 300 miles or even close. All cybertruck owners reported much lower range.
Elon is the best entrepreneur and inventor in the world and likes to be the best no question. If someone put in new product to compete with tesla he comes up with new thing. Competition drives his ingenuity. That is what I am saying and sorry my statement above was not clear.
i just finished a 3700 mile cross country roadtrip that averaged 444 wh/mile (277 miles of range 0-100%) and thats with 70MPH winds and snow and rain and no Aero covers

i have no doubt that if i had sunny weather at elevation with Aero covers on and only drove 70MPH i could get over 300 miles of range. so seems as advertised in my opinion.

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
At first glance Sandy gave the impression 32mm was the total height but after looking at it again in more detail the referenced 32mm must not include the exposed portion of the fiberglass member but just the aluminum stringer (25mm) plus the additional height from the stamped cover (6-7mm). Compare with his finger here:

4680 pack bottom.png

That's a lot more encouraging for the prospect of an eventual pack with a taller cell as they could theoretically fit something taller than a 4695.
If they wanted taller cells, or even double stacked, it would be relatively simply to just stamp a deeper bottom cover and make taller stringers if needed. It would reduce ground clearance of course.
Sponsored